Ontario diving next summer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E Rick

Registered
Reaction score
We are planning a dive trip in Ontario next summer (one week)... Can you guys give us an idea of a great diving week that we will nerver forget!!!! Diving site that we souldn't miss!!!!

We are 4 advanced diver. We want to see wreck (no penetration). We dont want to do nitrox dives.

We are used to dive in St-Lawrence river. So very cold water. I heard that the water is pretty warm in the Great Lake??? Are we brigning our dry suit???

Thank'S!!!!!

E Rick:
We are planning a dive trip in Ontario next summer (one week)... Can you guys give us an idea of a great diving week that we will nerver forget!!!! Diving site that we souldn't miss!!!!

We are 4 advanced diver. We want to see wreck (no penetration). We dont want to do nitrox dives.

We are used to dive in St-Lawrence river. So very cold water. I heard that the water is pretty warm in the Great Lake??? Are we brigning our dry suit???

Thank'S!!!!!
Can't say that it's "an idea of a great diving week that we will never forget", but I did some dives there in June with Duck Divers out of Picton. We dove the City of Sheboygan, Katie Eccles, Olive Branch and some other wreck that I can't remember now. With these 4 wrecks, we dove with a 32% mix, with the mud being at 100ffw.

You can safely do a swim through on some of these down in the hold, so no problem there, unless someone who went in ahead of you silted it up, like what happened to me.

Bring your drysuit! Bottom temps in June were at 44 deg F (7deg. C) Pretty cold, although there were some who were in wetsuits. YMMV

Day One
Cornwall Ontario
  • Eastcliffe Hall
  • Maybe Belly Dumper

Day Two

Rockport Ontario
  • Daryaw
  • Keystorm

Day Three and Four

Kingston
  • Munson
  • Davie
  • Frontenac
  • Wolfe Islander

Day Five

Tobermory

• Niagra II
  • Arabia

Day Six

Niagra Region

• Tiller
  • CB Benson

yes Tom , but you forgot to mention the Comet and the Marsh , they are really worth staying around another day for ....

You are going to put some major miles on your car going Kingston-Toby- Niagara in 3 days! You might be too tired to enjoy the diving. I'd suggest just doing eastern Ontario for your first trip. It is less driving. You need more than 1 day to do Tobermory.

The Belly dumper is a terrible dive. It's dark, boring and silty. Avoid it. Two dives on the Eastcliffe is a worthwhile day. The problem is finding a boat that goes out to it.

Water temperatures: Upper St Lawrence gets a lot warmer than lower St. Lawrence river in July/August.
What month do you plan to come? The river water temp will vary between 6C and 20C depending on when you come. Lake diving will see thermoclines in the 4 to 10C range depending on depth and yime of year.

I assume you've never been to Ontario before so I'd suggest:
Brockville area: any 3 of Daryaw, Lillie, Muscellonge and Gaskin make a good day
Rockport: Keystorm, America and Vickery but you have to bring your passport as they lie in the USA
The Rockport wreck makes a nice night dive.
Kingston: Munson, City of Sheboygan, Wolfe Islander, Comet
Picton: Katie Eccles, Manola plus others

There are also a few shore dives on the way: Lock 21, Rothesay, Connestoga

Adrian

Thank's for the info!!!! Brockville area will be our choice for our first time in Ontario... We plan to be there mid august... Thank's for the passport issue.... :wink:

E Rick

Didn't see the last part of your question answered. Yes, bring your drysuit. The river from Rockport to Cornwall is generally pretty warm, but once in the lakes, only the upper layer warms up much. Any of the deeper wrecks usually sit below a thermocline and are in the low 40's F (single digit Celsius)

Back
Top Bottom