Only one dive destination in the Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guys n Gals -

I just met a group of foreign students who have come to the US. They were planning to go to either the Carribean or Bahamas for one week of diving. For most of these guys, this will be once a lifetime trip because once they go back to their home countries USA and the Carribean is a long and $$$ ride.

If you could dive only one place in the Carribean in your life, which would it be? Bonaire? Little Cayman? Cozumel? Puerto Rico? We have the option of signing up with a dive shop but since there are five of us the group is big enough to pick our own desitination. Your thoughts and input will be a huge help and I thank in advace for your replies.

Regards -

Sinbad

A lot of it would depend on what ELSE you want to do with your time while there. If all you want to do is DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!, I'd suggest somewhere like Bonaire, where the diving is 24/7 and unlimited packages are available. If you want some nightlife, you want an island that has a life outside of diving. Mixing the two together works as well. If you have the money to spend, and want creature comforts and great diving, I'd recommend Grand Cayman - expensive compared to a lot of the other islands, but you get what you pay for sometimes in terms of security, cleanliness, diving, extraneous activities and more. I live and work there ( off right now for cancer treatment) and I love it there - love being able to enjoy beautiful beaches, great diving and snorkling, and a multitude of restaurants and bars to hang in. Plus more than a few different types of operators (all inclusive, hotel pick up, main "busy" area or quiet east end, liveaboard) that are available for you. Islands like Saba are very rustic, and more involved in terms of diving skills needed, but treat you very well, since they know what it costs to get there, and they don't have much more to offer. Choices, choices, choices -- good luck!!! Feel free to ask anything you like about Cayman - happy to answer what I can!

Thanks so much Apertyx. We are not interested in bars, party or topside since these guys can get that stuff in other parts of the world too. They want to go home and brag that they enjoyed the best diving Caribbean has to offer so the place where we go would have to qualify for that only. If it happens to be an area that has more topside attractions so be it but diving is what we are after.

Bonaire for small stuff, it or Cozumel for drift diving seem to be near the top of most of the top 10 lists I see (in Scubadiving). Curacao is similar to Bonaire but has more to do on the surface. Same diving (same reef), just not as well known. Easier to get to. I actually thought the diving was slightly better on Curacao than Bonaire.

Either Turks & Caicos or the Caymans for larger stuff. The best wall diving I've ever done is French Cay in T/C.

You might look at Belize also. Belize has the Blue Hole, while I think it's over-rated, it is one dive that makes the "best of" lists regularly. Lighthouse Reef is another. In Spring you can dive with Whalesharks off Gladden Spit.

IMO it wouldn't be Puerto Rico.

.... that they enjoyed the best diving Caribbean has to offer so the place where we go would have to qualify for that only. .... but diving is what we are after.

So that then, is the question. Something we have all heard many times before and has been debated endlessly. There is no simple answer.

The answer depends upon their abilities, what they are familiar with, what they can handle, what their level of experience is. From what you are "saying so far", cost is no object.

If they are new divers, or even if they are experienced and have only done, say... wreck diving in the Northern Red Sea, they may likely not be well prepared to enjoy the Caribbean.

I was just on the AquaCat with a boatload of British Divers. Most of them spent the entire week and every dive foaming-at-the-mouth over Sharks. Honestly, my wife and I had seen enough after the first ten. We pointed out some of the interesting macro/micro to one diver and the next thing you know- he wanted to use our magnifying glasses on every dive. He too had seen enough Sharks. His buddies, however, were still happy looking at Sharks. They were happy.

What do you mean when you use the word, "best"?

My favorite place? It leaves many, many visitors un-impressed... only because they are still only enthralled with large Lobsters and Parrotfish. My list of the Caribbean Top 5 is not suitable for everyone's tastes... it came about only after visiting most every island or diving off-shore from them.

If they are truly experienced divers, already expertly aware of their surroundings- and if they have very deep pockets- there are several locations in the Caribbean that can still dazzle... but more than a few have no real airports- some have no extant local dive ops.

A perfect example: Grenada. A lot of divers are absolutely gaga over the BiancaC Wreck off the population center of the SW corner. The first time I saw it, I was interested, but not the second time, nor with the rest of the localized diving. If you find a friend with buckets of money, you can go to the seldom dived NE barrier coast of Grenada. Not many folks even have a clue that it exists. That would be remarkable diving for the Mar Caribe... but likely as many people have dived it on charter as there have been Astronauts in space. Money, money, money. (And money also means: time, a precious commodity which can be purchased with money)

By some folks, the answer would depend heavily upon the nationalities of the travelers (as in... what passports do they have?). Some places are off-limits to US citizens (Cuba) and even those local dive ops do not have the wherewithal to get customers to the "best places". The "best of" Cuba, even for non-US citizens is still inaccessible.

The "best"? Crack open Google Maps and search for Swan/Cisne. Try Maiz/Corn. No one can take you there these days, but the poorly regarded (and even less well-understood) Los Roques can be absolutely spectacular~ it is a graveyard of wooden ships... but there is no-one left to take you out far enough from Grand Roque to see it... unless you have cubic metric dollars.

How much money did you have? What kind of experience do they have in their log books?

Otherwise, this is a moot question... that is~ only worthy of discussion, not much more.

Last edited:
You just met these guys and they are here now asking about this? I therefore assume that this trip is pretty imminent, and that complicates things considerably. Logistics is going to be a pain for a jump-and-run trip of any kind, as I'm sure you are aware. Your best chance for good diving on a minute's notice is probably Cozumel or Bonaire, when you figure in available transportation and available services when you get there. And, as others have noted, costs will be a big consideration.
But as to your basic question, you are looking for premium diving and lots of it. If you had more time, I would recommend any of several good liveaboards that I can think of, which will get you maximum diving in what are often otherwise inaccessible areas. But, these guys book up in advance, and I sort of doubt you could shoehorn 5 people in at the last minute. But then again, given today's economy and sagging occupancy rates on these boats, you might be able to do it. If you want memorable diving, I can't think of a better way to fill up a week in the Caribbean. Just my 2 cents worth.

If they are truly experienced divers, already expertly aware of their surroundings- and if they have very deep pockets- there are several locations in the Caribbean that can still dazzle... but more than a few have no real airports- some have no extant local dive ops.

A perfect example: Grenada. A lot of divers are absolutely gaga over the BiancaC Wreck off the population center of the SW corner. The first time I saw it, I was interested, but not the second time, nor with the rest of the localized diving. If you find a friend with buckets of money, you can go to the seldom dived NE barrier coast of Grenada. Not many folks even have a clue that it exists. That would be remarkable diving for the Mar Caribe... but likely as many people have dived it on charter as there have been Astronauts in space. Money, money, money. (And money also means: time, a precious commodity which can be purchased with money)

Way off. For starters, Grenada has a huge airport when considering it to be a small southern Caribbean island. We can thank the intervention for that, which ultimately produced a runway capable of landing Boeing 777s. If that is considered small to you, then you haven't traveled the Caribbean nearly enough.

Second, there are several dive shops in Grenada. Devotion 2 Ocean is a PADI 5 star IDC center. There is also Aquanauts and Dive Grenada, though I do not remember what status they hold with PADI.

Third, while not the cheapest place in the world to dive, the diving is still great in terms of price. A two tank dive can be done on average for about 80 USD.

Lastly, it sounds like you had a bad experience with your Bianca C dive the first time you did it. I've dove it half a dozen times and it still isn't old. I'm returning this summer to get some video with a GoPro camera this time. Experience too much drift? There are a bunch of dive sites in Grenada that are awesome, especially for wrecks. If you think Bianca C, Veronica, and Shakem all suck, I'd LOVE to see what you think is a great wreck dive.

Where did your group of foreign students go for their lifetime trip?
Guys n Gals -

I just met a group of foreign students who have come to the US. They were planning to go to either the Carribean or Bahamas for one week of diving. For most of these guys, this will be once a lifetime trip because once they go back to their home countries USA and the Carribean is a long and $$$ ride.

If you could dive only one place in the Carribean in your life, which would it be? Bonaire? Little Cayman? Cozumel? Puerto Rico? We have the option of signing up with a dive shop but since there are five of us the group is big enough to pick our own desitination. Your thoughts and input will be a huge help and I thank in advace for your replies.

Regards -

Sinbad

Print out a couple of trip reports from people on Bonaire & Cozumel, then sit down and compare what a 1 week stay at each would be like. Throw in Belize if taking a day for a tour up the New River and a walking jungle tour to see some Mayan ruins (like pyramids) would appeal to you. But Bonaire & Cozumel are both 'famous' and likely on a some bucket lists, so let's look at that.

Sample Bonaire Trip:

1.) Stay at Buddy Dive.
2.) They pick you up & take you to the airport, and rent you a truck on grounds at the resort. There's a nice house reef you can dive right there without having to leave the grounds if someone doesn't want to.
3.) Breakfast buffet included. For your other meals, plan to hit the grocery store & cook in for lunch, eat out for supper, the latter maybe $20 - $25 apiece with wide variance.
4.) Each day, eat, then get in a manual transmission rental truck and drive up & down the west coast near shore looking for dive sites identified by yellow rocks with names on them. Get out & shore dive some.
5.) One day do a half-day driving tour of Washington-Slagbaii Park up north.
6.) All dives are on 80 cf tanks, on a near-shore roughly 45 degree sloping reef wall with lots of coral, & not much big stuff (except some tarpon; most sea turtles I see there are garbage can lid sized or so, but there are exceptions). I'm an air hog; my dives run around 45 minutes up to 55 (if I mess around in a shallows a lot draining my tank down).

Sample Cozumel Trip.

1.) Stay at a hotel. You can do all-inclusive or not. Many here don't prefer AI setups, & like to eat out. Picking a hotel may be the hardest part of your planning, considering the contentious forum threads debating the subject. Here's a link to a recent thread started by Boulder John discussing lodging & A.I.s that I'm not speed reading now but it might get you started.
2.) Book your dives with Jeremy Anschel's op., Living Underwater. 120 cf steel tanks let you get good, long dives. Boat groups are small; no cattle boats. It's drift diving. There are other reputable op.s, including Aldora. I've dove with Living Underwater & had a blast. I had over an hour & 15 minute dive on one tank! For me that's huge!!!
3.) Do either 2 or 3 dives per day. When you can dive over an hour at a time, that's a lot of diving. Plan to spend late afternoon/evening milling around town or the resort.

Oh, one other major mainstream destination I see posted about a lot, but I haven't been to...Roatan! Check out some threads on it, but make sure the resort in question has good shore diving. I think Coco View Resort is enjoyed by some, and there are threads about it. One old post indicated that on Roatan, you don't usually wander 'off the reservation' the way you might in Bonaire.

I've dove with Buddy Dive and with Living Underwater before, and recall both as reputable on this forum, so I included them. I haven't been to Roatan, but Coco View is one of the places I'd check if I were (I think there's one called Fantasy Island, too).

Richard.

P.S.: If you try to do in-depth comparisons of every potential Caribbean dive site, including the less frequented like St. Lucia vs. Cayman Brac vs. Grand Turk, you could drive yourself nuts. I suggest a quick comparison of 3 of the most popular; Bonaire, Cozumel & Roatan. The Bahamas have a rep. for being best done by live-aboard to get away from the main 'tourist trampled' island areas, and there's a recent trip report on the AquaCat. Be mindful part of the year the Bahamas are cold enough to require a wet suit. I don't wear wet suits in 75+ degree water, & don't like wearing them, so for me, that matters. If you guys all wear wet suits regardless of water temp.s, you may not care so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom