Question Only Instructor wears dive computer (extra charge if I want one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP needs to clarify if it is USD. if it was a local currency like fijian dollars or eastern caribbean dollars, it might be more like 10 to 20 USD.

Hi there, for some perspective I am quite new to diving and finished my advanced Open Water Diver in December.
I am now on vacation and wanted to do a wreck dive, but the dive Center I wanted to do it with charges 50$ extra If I want a dive computer.
It’s 2 tank dive with one to the wreck and one to a reef.
I haven’t done a dive without it being a lesson yet and I wondered If it’s normal and If I’ll be fine without a computer.
Thanks in Advance for your answers!
Where? $50 in what currency? How did you monitor your depth/time/nitrogen status on your OW and AOW dives?

I don't disagree but we should all understand the concept behind the DC and why it does what it does.
Many people were taught decompression theory (etc.) at the same time they were taught tables. They understandably believe that learning tables teaches decompression theory--it does not. They also think that learning how tables works teaches you how computers work. It does not.

And what do you get for that princely $50/day? Some crappy LCD puck? For that sort of cash I’d be looking for a Perdix, and a backup Perdix on my other wrist!

I'd like to point out the obvious... I dove for a decade without a computer. Believe it or not, it is possible to dive without a computer.

I'd like to point out the obvious... I dove for a decade without a computer. Believe it or not, it is possible to dive without a computer.
Absolutely, though it can be difficult. Not saying that you can’t safely dive without a computer, but that it may be harder to get to dive. If using a dive op, you need to follow their rules. In many cases a computer is required by the operator.

If diving privately, then yes, you can safely dive without a computer. If you know how to use tables, it can be done safely.

At this point, I’m not sure if we’re talking to the OP or just among ourselves. But I would get a DC well before the trip to learn how to use it. So buy or borrow now. A Peregrine is stupid simple and can be learned in minutes. But I doubt that’s what they’re renting.

Reactions: Zef
At this point, I’m not sure if we’re talking to the OP or just among ourselves.
The OP has not checked into SB since he made the original post.
Too bad, he might have learned something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom