Online scuba logbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onefastpony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm wanting to start using an online logbook for convenience. I currently use the Oceanic digital logbook and I have it on two computers so it is a pain in the butt to constantly upload the dives to both computers then add all the same details. I haven't figured out how to import the dives. Does anybody have any certain recomendations for online logbooks.

Chris

Well....

I wouldn't want to put all of my logs into a program on a website because you just never know how long it will survive.

My suggestion would be to make a logbook in the Google Docs spreadsheet so you can (a) make a backup on your own computer (b) access it from anywhere and (c) upload it to another program that can read xls or csv in the future if you want.

If you need a template for a spreadsheet based logbook then PM me. I think I have a pretty good one kicking around here somewhere.

R..

I've been using www.diverecord.com for years.

It's easy, you can put as much or as little information into the logbook as you like, and you can even upload pictures of your dives. I've checked out at least a half dozen or so other online logbooks and in my opinion they don't even come close.

Another cool feature is that it calculates your "Recreational Dive Index" based on the dive details you provide, such as depth, visibility, conditions, etc...and you can compare your experience with that of the dive community in general.

You can also upload your certifications (and at one time) including scans of the front and back.

HOWEVER

I don't believe the site is being actively maintained because I have repeatedly emailed scans of new C-card certifications and I have received no response.

My guess is that no one is minding the shop however the site has been up for many years, it's used quite extensively and I'd like to at least think it's not going anywhere.

I suggest printing out the dives every so often, it's a site feature. I have about 170 dives logged on that site and I figure even if the site goes down I could reproduce the logbook elsewhere in about 2 hours.

I've been using www.diverecord.com for years.

It's easy, you can put as much or as little information into the logbook as you like, and you can even upload pictures of your dives. I've checked out at least a half dozen or so other online logbooks and in my opinion they don't even come close.

Another cool feature is that it calculates your "Recreational Dive Index" based on the dive details you provide, such as depth, visibility, conditions, etc...and you can compare your experience with that of the dive community in general.

You can also upload your certifications (and at one time) including scans of the front and back.

HOWEVER

I don't believe the site is being actively maintained because I have repeatedly emailed scans of new C-card certifications and I have received no response.

My guess is that no one is minding the shop however the site has been up for many years, it's used quite extensively and I'd like to at least think it's not going anywhere.

I suggest printing out the dives every so often, it's a site feature. I have about 170 dives logged on that site and I figure even if the site goes down I could reproduce the logbook elsewhere in about 2 hours.

Yea another vote for diverecord. You can export the dives to excel if you want too as a backup. But I agree that they are not actively maintaining it. That being said, the only issue I've found is that it doesn't have a warning if you have exceeded how much data you can input into one field but that has only ever been a problem for me on one dive :wink:

Looks like I will just keep uploading to Oceanlog and then printing a hard copy for my file. Thanks.

I just use an Excel file.

I fill out my logbook after the dive (from the computer info) and then type all the info into the file. Takes less than five minutes.

I use the Aeris Epic Dive log and it works well. However I am considering using Word or a txt file for notes. The Epic log is good for numbers as everything is in the computer except location name, descriptions. fishids, etc. The software is a bit funky.

I use google docs as it can be accessed anywhere anytime and like excel has infinite columns to log anything from SAC rate to where you spent your SI. I have never really been a big one for dive buddy signatures or dive shop stamps and so their absence in my log is not really an issue for me. I have also yet to go anywhere where anyone has requested to see my dive log

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom