Online Sales - The importance of buying from local businesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess if you are a citizen of the world, the on-line stores can qualify as your local dive shop? :blinking:

I mean, how big is your world?

Think locally, shop globally, lol.

I guess if you are a citizen of the world, the on-line stores can qualify as your local dive shop? :blinking: I mean, how big is your world?

My LDS is Leisure Pro. There are 4-5 LDS within my local area that all do the "buy from me or you die" routine. They push SP and AL and talk about warranty issues etc. I just get my tanks filled and buy from those who have much better selection and no attitude. I have purchased from Scubatoys, and also Scuba.com as well as LP. No problems, no hassle.

Have you ever been told that you get what you pay for? Most of us have, yet some people seem to prefer...
A new diver just might read this and think, gee, that's some in-ter-est-ing stuff. Makes sense.

But many, many of us here on ScubaBoard buy stuff online just fine and have for years and years. Really, it's not like I'm gonna send back all my Apex regs, or my Atomic regs, or my Salvo 24w HID light or my Diving Concepts dry suit or my Fred T back plate or my Turtle fins because of all that junk you said. Everything I bought online is quality equipment - and I get it serviced just fine, thank you.

I also buy lots of stuff from my LDS, and I am personal friends with the owners - heck, they even gave me a set of keys and the alarm code so I can have access to the compressor any time I want. I'm not a DM or anything, just a customer. They know I sometimes buy online and don't stress about it, because I spend lots of money there, too.

Somehow there are shops that believe that if their customers buy online, the sky will fall for everyone. It's simply not true. My shop knows that if they are good to active divers, they will put more cash in their pockets - whether the customers shop online on not. It's just silly and counter-productive to be negative toward online buyers and try to tell them that you hurt the local economy by doing so. The only economy you hurt is your own, because these buyers will just go elsewhere, where they are not criticized for their buying preferences.

Tomorrow is 2008, and online buying is hear to stay. Trying to tell buyers not to buy on the internet and ostracizing those that do is like lighting future dollars on fire. Because people are going to do it anyway, and then avoid your for giving them grief about it.

BTW, I just ordered $400.00 worth of stuff from my LDS, and $200.00 worth online. I drop a couple hundred into my LDS account as needed so I always have a positive balance. I bring business in. I also point out where my friends can get good deals online. More money is spent, and everyone seems the better for it.

If my business was hurt by online sales, I might take a good look at my overall business model, practice and customer service.

Craig Clark sounds like an angry LDS owner who is about to go bust.

Adapt or die.

Let people make their own decisions based on their own realities and delusions. Simple.

Z...

I guess if you are a citizen of the world, the on-line stores can qualify as your local dive shop? :blinking:

I mean, how big is your world?

Think locally, shop globally, lol.

AMEN SISTER!!!

Z..

when you talk of online retailers who sell knock-offs, grey market stuff, etc, you must be talking about Leisure Pro. But if you are talking about several other online retailers that are also brick and mortar stores, then you are grossly in error. Scuba Toys, Phil Ellis with DiveSports and several others provide quality products with quality service.
I know of no retailer, brick and mortar or otherwise, that gives better service than Scuba Toys. And even though I do not have much experience with DiveSports, everything I ever bought from them was promptly shipped and sold at a good price.
Everything, I repeat, everything I bought from my local brick and mortar stores I overpaid for and didnt receive such outstanding service that it made paying more worthwhile.
Say what you want, but I go where I receive good pricing, good service and customer support. Lastly, I bet I am not alone.

Craig, my local dive store closed. It was difficult for a lot of folks to get off work in time to buy there. They were open from 10am to 6pm. Internet stores are open all the time.

This pops up from time to time, and the "do it my way or the industry will die" routine always grates on my nerves. If you think you are entitled to business, you are mistaken. Appeals like this always win up being counterproductive, since you lose all credibility. Much (most?) of the time, Online shops are not authorized retailers because they won't agree to the manufacturer's "minimum advertised price", not because of service issues or selling counterfeit gear. They're selling the same gear you are, just cheaper.

The thing is, my LDS does provide better value, and can compete based on the things that an online retailer can't do.

Nobody does online certification, so at some point, an LDS was probably involved. If you can provide a great customer experience at that point, they will come back.

I buy from both, haven't had a problem either way. I didn't get invited to my LDS's Christmas party this year, but I've never been invited to one at Leisure Pro.

Back
Top Bottom