Online Master Diver Quiz

Good or Bad Quiz

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igotag!

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
While working on the website for the shop I work for, I saw the SCUBA quiz thread and decided I would integrate something like that into our website, in this case though its a Master Diver quiz, 37 questions I think. Let me know what you guys think. Give me any and all input, bad questions, bad spelling, etc!

Sound Dive Center, Bremerton WA - Puget Sound's Premiere Dive Center -> Training -> Online Quizzes -> Master Diver

You need to go through those questions and be more specific on some of them.

i.e. "If a victim is unwilling or unable to establish, as a rescuer what would your next action be?"

1. What are they unable to establish?
2. Are you as a rescuer in the water? on a dock? back of a boat?

Also review the second rescue question and be more specific.

There are a lot of good questions in there, good job.

i.e. "If a victim is unwilling or unable to establish, as a rescuer what would your next action be?"

Thats the kind of input I'm looking for! That first one was supposed to say unable to establish buoyancy no clue why I didn't put it in there. Also fixed the second rescue question! Thanks! :D

According to some on Scubaboard, you would hold them under until they submit.....

Number nine was confusing. Maybe it's just me but the question made no sense as written.

What is a pilot valve reg? My intimate "how gear works" knowledge is a little rusty I must admit and I was hurrying through it at work but I'm drawing a blank.

Is that stuff you made up or pulled right from NAUI materials, it looks a bit like NAUI's intentionally confusing wording.

Love the concept though!
Ber :lilbunny:

Okay, you asked for input, so here goes a long one. Don't take this to mean I didn't like it. I'm just rather thorough when I comment on things. :biggrin:

Question 8: "Trimix consists of what?"

The question and answers are broken. If you want the right answer to be "2 Inert Gases and Oxygen" (by the way, spell out "two"), do not include the also-correct answer "Nitrogen, Helium, and Oxygen". There should only be one correct answer to each question, but this question has two correct answers. Additionally, if you accept any two inert gases in your definiton of trimix (as the answer key states), "Nitrogen, Argon, and Oxygen" would *also* count as a correct answer (although who would want to dive that? :D).

Question 9: "What is the common physiological factor in pressure-differential barotrauma?"

The question is poorly phrased. Replace "is the" with "are two", and what's a "factor"? Also, isn't "pressure-differential barotrauma" redundant, as all barotrauma is, by definition, the result of pressure differentials. Something like, "Two parts of the body susceptible to barotrauma are:" would sound less odd. (If the question was a direct quote from a class text, I'd have to dislike the phrasing in the text as well. :biggrin:)

Question 10: "Define this law or principle."

First, you're not *defining* it. You have the definition, so you're *naming* it. Secondly, "this law or principle" is unnecessarily complex. Changing the question to "Name this concept: '(definition)'" would be easier to parse.

Question 12: "The density of freshwater is?"

Needless display of unwarranted precision. Just use one decimal place: 62.4, etc. It's easier to read and remember, and you likely don't really mean to say that a cubic foot of freshwater always weighs 62.43 pounds to the sixth of an ounce, right?

Question 15: "...cannot..."

True/false questions with negations in them tend to be confusing, but I don't really like the question, anyway. Perhaps replacing it with a question about causes of lung overinflation would better test the knowledge (breath-holding, obstructions, asthma...).

Question 17: "...absolute zero..."

The question is broken. *Absolute zero* is always at the same temperature (-459.67°F, -273.15°C, 0°R, 0 K -- note, never say °K), so *every* temperature scale places absolute zero there. If you'd left out the 'F' and asked, "The _____ temperature scale places absolute zero at -459.67°", the correct response would be "Fahrenheit".

Question 18: "... Define this law or principle."

As in my comments on question 10, rephrase the question. Whether the definition was a direct quote or not, "weight" should be changed to "mass" or "amount" in order to be unambiguous. (Otherwise, you'll have to add in something like "at a given acceleration". :biggrin:) Also, there's an 'H' stuck in there near the end of the quoted definition.

Question 21: "What is and advantage of pillow bags in salvage work?"

There is no correct answer. Pillow bags are not unique in not needing to be manually vented. Isn't the primary advantage of pillow bags that they cannot accidentally vent at the surface (and send the lift crashing back down)? (Open-ended bags could potentially spill air depending on lift and water conditions.) That would seem to be a reasonable answer to use.

Question 23: "...will almost certainly lead to..."

This question is also broken. It does not adversely impact the question to phrase it as "can lead to", which would preclude any debate as to the certainty of alternobaric or alternothermic vertigo. (I have had numerous occasions to experience *significant* temperature differentials, not to mention the occasional poorly-equalizing ear, and I have not once experienced vertigo. It is certainly possible, but saying "almost certainly" is unsupportable.)

Question 24: "1.58:1"

Where is this number coming from? 20 fsw would be 1.6:1. To say "1.58:1", you would need to justify the precision. (The difference is something like 8 inches of depth.) Also, the question says "ration" instead of "ratio", and I don't think we're talking about MREs. :D

Question 36: "...perform a proper surface."

You probably want that to say "ascent" or "ascent to the surface", as the emphasis is on safely ascending after looking for a minute, not on the style with which you splash into the air. :biggrin:

Question 37: "...topping the tank of with..."

Simple typo. Topping it "off", not "of". :D

Anyway, that's about all I noticed running through it. The only other thing I can say is that I find the waving "Sound Dive Center" and "Master Diver Quiz" unbelievably distracting and annoying. :eek: Thankfully, I have Flashblock in my browser, so I didn't have to hurt anyone. :D

It's probably the fact that I spend so much time reading wonderfully static printed material (books especially), but whenever I'm on a page with gratuitous motion, it constantly grabs my eyes away from what I'm trying to pay attention to. (It's like having someone keep borrowing the eraser from your desk while you're trying to take the SAT.) I'm certainly not going to tell you how to do web site design, since that's all personal preferences, but if you make static graphics just for the quiz page, you'll have at least a few gratefully non-distracted quiz-takers. :biggrin:

3. A diver cannot sustain a 1 knot speed.

7. A compressor operates on the principle of.....

Sorry, but no. It may demonstrate Boyles Law, but it does not operate on the principle of.

8. There are 2 correct answers, one is merely more specific than the other.

9. I agree with Ber. This is a really poorly written question, especially since you refer to common barotrauma and do not mention ears.

10. Define this law or principle....you just did. You're looking for the name, not the definition.

11. Pilot valve regulator?

14. Unless you are a doctor, what possible difference does the actually temperature make? It's not useful imformation for divers of any level.

15. Excellent question! Unfortunately, you have the incorrect answer as correct.

17. Who cares?

18. see #10.

24. ration? ratio? A bit advanced for MD.

25. Why?

29. No good answer given.

30. From the victim? From the rescuer?

36. This depends on conditions and site.

Incidentally, for anyone with the NAUI Master Scuba Diver text, the explanation of a "pilot valve regulator" is on page 13, with a diagram on page 14. It's easier seen than explained, so I'll refrain from attempting it... at least for now.

As for question 24, I'd have to disagree with Walter about it being "a bit advanced for MD", since it's right there in the book. The Haldane ratios are covered in "Decompression and Recompression", beginning on page 152. Just below the bold reference to "Haldane ratio" (in bold) is the highlighted (for workbook) sentence, "Later research proved that this ratio was too liberal and has since been modified to approximate [sic] 1.58:1." As it says (or would say, if they typed it correctly), "approximately 1.58:1", using 1.6:1 (i.e. 20 feet) should be an acceptable answer. (The 1.58:1 number shows up in "Table 5-2. Summary of 1965 Workman - US Navy Decompression Model" on page 155.)

As for question 3, the quote (page 45) is: "Note that the maximum swimming speed of a fully equipped physically fit scuba diver is about 0.5 m/sec (1 knot), and even that may be sustainable for only a brief period, depending on the diver's fitness." Changing the question to "...the maximum sustainable speed (over a short period)..." would take into account the fact that you can likely only sustain 1 knot for a short while.

7. A compressor operates on the principle of.....

Sorry, but no. It may demonstrate Boyles Law, but it does not operate on the principle of.

A compressor operates on more than one principle.

Archimedes - leverage and Boyles - compressed gas

Good idea though. Just clarify some of the questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom