online camera stores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've finally decided to get a digital camera, and was wondering if anyone has had experience with the internet camera stores for underwater cameras. I was looking at both the Olympus 4000 and the Nikon Coolpix, and they're available for over $100 less than the usual price. In the same vein, has anyone seen the website Nextag.com, which does comparison pricing?

Completely confused

Hello,

I have experience with b/h and calumet, both are excellent.

Ed

I've never tried Nextag, I always use Pricegrabber.com. B&H is an excellent source but I've had very good luck at loads of other stores. (Stay away from Adorama !!!) $100 off retail is low for internet stores. Always check the "user rating" and then decide how much safety you're willing to sacrifice for the bottom line. Happy shopping !!

Hmmm... in the past I've had good service from Adorama but haven't used them in a few years (since I went digital).

Have also used Helix in Chicago for underwater camera gear.

Dr. Bill

have both done ok by me over the last 5 years or so for various photography needs.

B&H is the best place to buy film, photo, digital, and video online. They have outstanding service and do not screw people over. What's more, they have some of the best prices. I have ordered from them at least a dozen times without any problems whatsoever.

No store screws all their customers, but Adorama screwed me both times I ordered from them. One time they sent me short dated and outdated film when I paid full price. The next time they backordered stuff that they claimed they had in stock when I placed my order causing me to miss a deadline. Avoid Adorama. It's not worth risking a huge headache to save $5 on a $200 order. The only reason to ever order from Adorama is if B&H, Calumet, Cameraworld, and Beachphoto are out of what you want, or if you are buying an Adorama branded product, or ordering a kickass Microdear microfiber cloth.

Calumet, mentioned by Blacknet, enjoys a very good reputation, but I have not used them lately.

Some stores have B&H's level of service, but at a slightly higher price. I think Calumet falls into that category, so does www.cameraworld.com (Camera World of Oregon, the largest distributor on the West Coast). They enjoy a great reputation and I ordered from them a few times a few years back with great service. Do not order film from them because they cannot compete with B&H for film prices and they will usually tell you that if you ask. Cameraworld will often pricematch B&H on many things which makes them a great choice if you live on the West Coast and want your stuff fast. They also have a cool open box and returned item section that usually has great deals.

Valwood,

Do a search on the subject "buying on the internet", and read a multitude of post, as I have posted some good info regarding my recent experiences buying a Olympus 5050 and PT-Housing + extras (different cards). I think it will help you with your decision.

Avatar is right, they dont screw all their customers, but it is dependant upon what you are ordering from them, and their opportunity to sell you extras (this is where they make up for the low price that is offered). Know exactly what you want before you call or order. I tried to work with several companies that tried to be slick as glass, and so I ended up just paying a higher price for my camera and dealing with a quality company. I ended up buying ALL my items from 17th Street Photo, what a difference from the dirtball sales persons that I dealt with prior.

Good luck!

Clyde=-)

I actually just ordered my C-5050Z from an online retailer - www.gazma.com . Great, great price. Would not recommend though, unless you're willing to deal with the people. First thing today (I ordered Friday, but holiday weekend and such), I get an email saying I need to call them for order verification. I call, and immediately am informed that "for this camera, you really need the 3pk filters accessory pack..." as the guy goes into a whole schpiel about what each one did...so I told him that I owned all of these (not true :mean: ) for my Olympus C-2500L (actually have) and my C-4040 (don't actually have :D). His exact words? "Oh, well, that's good then. Now would you like the additional 3yr extended warranty?" I told him politely that I had success with previous cameras and it wasn't necessary. This seemed to discourage him, but he didn't try to sell me anything more at the least. I thanked him for his time...but we'll see how long the camera takes to get here.

~Matt Segal

I learned the hard way about internet camera stores way back when we called them mail order camera stores! Great prices until you bought at the stuff you need to take pictures that is included from the manufacturer but cost extra. Or the dreaded supstitution. Or getting nothing back in the mail. I could go on. Touch before you buy always works and if that isn't possible order it somewhere you can easily reach over the counter and grab the ***hole that screwed you byt the throat and shake your cash from him!
By the way I love my Nikon Cool Pix and Aquatica housing!

:D

Adorama is not quote so low as places that sell big items at cost and *always* backorder if you don't buy acessories that they sell for 10X cost.

Those type of stores are the scum of the earth. I wonder what happens if you walk into their brick and mortar joint and try to buy a camera without accessories... do they drag you into the alley and beat you until you cough up the cash fro the extra overpriced BS

These stores shouldn't be bought from under any circumstances.

I think it's just they don't put the effort into streamilining their op and they don't care if you have to wait if they accidently ran out.

Adorama does have a few Adorama branded products that are damned good for a damned good price (their spotmeter and monopod). Those microdear microfiber cloths they import are awesome.

The thing is... with reliable alternative like B&H, why would you waste your time with Adorama unless you are buying something that only they carry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom