O'Neill Wetsuits - Wakeboard Suits OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spragg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a wetsuit (my first - trying to find something that will be fairly versatile) ... 2 issues ...

1. I really like several of O'Neill's wetsuits (the Hammer 3/2 and Epic 4/3) but the LDS just told me that those two models are technically wakeboard suits. The Epic has glued and blindstiched seams (something some of O'Neill's "dive" suits don't even have - the Reactor) and a blackout zipper among other features. I can't see a difference in the type of neoprene used - I was told that non-scuba suits sometimes have neoprene that will compress really easily and screw up the insulation. Is this one of those cases or are the suits just fine?

2. If the "wakeboard" suits will work just as well, I think I'm leaning toward the Epic 4/3 - I'll mostly use it to dive off Kauai and a bit in central Texas and want something that could be useful in both places. I was initially thinking a 3/2 but I think the "you can cool down more easily than warm up" applies here? Would a 4/3 be a reasonable suit?

(this is Jon's wife - I'm not doing any of that Antarctica/drysuit nonsense) :05:

Spragg01:
I'm looking for a wetsuit (my first - trying to find something that will be fairly versatile) ... 2 issues ...

1. I really like several of O'Neill's wetsuits (the Hammer 3/2 and Epic 4/3) but the LDS just told me that those two models are technically wakeboard suits. The Epic has glued and blindstiched seams (something some of O'Neill's "dive" suits don't even have - the Reactor) and a blackout zipper among other features. I can't see a difference in the type of neoprene used - I was told that non-scuba suits sometimes have neoprene that will compress really easily and screw up the insulation. Is this one of those cases or are the suits just fine?

2. If the "wakeboard" suits will work just as well, I think I'm leaning toward the Epic 4/3 - I'll mostly use it to dive off Kauai and a bit in central Texas and want something that could be useful in both places. I was initially thinking a 3/2 but I think the "you can cool down more easily than warm up" applies here? Would a 4/3 be a reasonable suit?

(this is Jon's wife - I'm not doing any of that Antarctica/drysuit nonsense) :05:
You've heard correct, many wetsuits designed for wakeboarding and other surface "water sports" use neoprene that once compressed, loses it's insulating ability. I'd contact O'Neill and tell them what suits you are interested in and why. They can tell you whether that particular suit will work for your applications, and if not, recommend another in their line like it that might work for you.
As far as what thickness to get, it really depends on the person. I use a 3-2 for diving down to 60 degrees, and a 7mm down to the low 30's, so I doubt your needs are the same as mine. I do agree it's easier to unzip a bit to "cool" down than it is to "warm up" ( though I've heard it can be done :blush: )
Good Luck,
C-Dawg

I see an old post (from 2002) that says O'Neill and RipCurl wetsuits use the same neoprene for their surf and dive wetsuits. Has anyone ever used the O'Neill surf wetsuits or had a problem with them diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom