O'Neill wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman:
Not the case IMHO - I tried on 4 different makes & none of them fit nearly as well as both of mine. If you check out the website of any wetsuit manufacturer, you'll find a size chart detailing various measurements. I found that in most cases, O'Neill in any men's size, was 2" or more smaller in the waist & hips than all the others. It sort of makes sense - a company starting out making neoprene for athletic surfers (?). Again, if you have the right fit, the little difference in neoprene density or whatever, you're going to be warmer.

I agree that O'Neill's cuts are far better than most manufacturer's. They have much more room in the thighs, chest and shoulder without the waist becoming huge and baggy. I just checked the link in Ron Frank's post. O'Neill is advertising that their diving wetsuit is made with "80% Ultraflex DS." This is the same material in the same percentage as used in the Heat and Psycho I suits, so perhaps there's no real difference between their dive and surfing suits. Incidentally, you might also want to check into the Xcel suits. My son prefers them to O'Neill though I like O'Neill better. They started as a surfing company and later began making diving wetsuits. My fundies instructor used one of their diving suits and liked it alot.

Great input. Thanks everyone.

I've seen O'Neill's diving suits on the website but not in any store here in Dublin. We only really have a handfull of dive and surf stores and the selection of products could be better.

I surf and dive. In warmer waters I have always dived with my surf suits. No problems. If they're not as warm due to compression or whatever who cares. I'm diving warm water after all and it doesn't really matter that much. Besides I've never noticed.

I guess the only thing is some of the high performance surf suits aren't made to last. They are made to stretch so... I guess this could mean they won't last as long with all the compression. Most of my surf suits haven't been the high performance super stretchy ones and they've been fine.

In regards to the fit of the tall suits, is the extra length in the legs or in the torso? I have been looking for a 3mm suit for my son who is 6'6". When he has tried on other suits, the torso is normally too short and the neckline is pulled down and open in the front. It is also snug in the crotch.

kittyjg:
In regards to the fit of the tall suits, is the extra length in the legs or in the torso? I have been looking for a 3mm suit for my son who is 6'6". When he has tried on other suits, the torso is normally too short and the neckline is pulled down and open in the front. It is also snug in the crotch.

O'Neill's XLT goes up to 6'5.5" so that might work if your son is in the 200-220 lbs range.

I think O'Neill originally designed products for surfers and as a result their cut tends to be more athletic (wider chest, smaller waist, bigger legs maybe...). My girlfriend has used the XS (edit: or ladies size 4) (she's naturally very skinny, not muscular), I've used the L (I'm not super athletic, but I do workout on a regular basis and I'm in good shape), and at least those sizes are good fits for people skinny or athletic with standard proportions within the size chart's height and weight limits for those sizes.

Also take a look at Camaro. Sierra Trading Post has deals on them all the time and if you google for coupons you can sometimes fine extra discounts: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/eu...=mode+matchallany&track=true&sid=10F3CEA56DCF

I bought a Body Glove Vapor 4/3 for diving in warm water...it's the Body Glove equivalent to the Psycho. I love it. The fit is absolutely perfect, like a custom fit. Each of the suit manufacturers uses a slightly different "mold" as it were for their suits. Find one that matches your dimensions and you should be fine. I bought it at Sierra Trading Post as well...$156 vs. $369 suggested retail.

It was perfect for diving in Hawaii...and if I add a hood, boots and gloves...for surfing on Vancouver Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom