O'neill neoprene dry suit, XTS 7/5 - advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
hello

I bought a used o'neill dry suit, XTS (Extreme temperature series), 7/5 (7mil body, 5 mil arms/legs) for my wife. Its made of neoprene (covered with nylon), so it sort of feels like a wetsuit. It seals at the neck and wrists, and has attached booties. An inflator hose can be put in to add air, and air can be let out.

Has anyone ever used this dry suit, or known someone who has? I heard that undergarments are optional with this suit, I was wondering how other people have used it, and what they wore underneath. (I'm sure she would be warmer with a little polypro underneath). Also, if anyone has any advice specific to this drysuit, I would appreciate it. Did this suit keep you warmer than a wetsuit?

thanks alot, any info is appreciated.

Scott

scottfiji:
hello

I bought a used o'neill dry suit, XTS (Extreme temperature series), 7/5 (7mil body, 5 mil arms/legs) for my wife. Its made of neoprene (covered with nylon), so it sort of feels like a wetsuit. It seals at the neck and wrists, and has attached booties. An inflator hose can be put in to add air, and air can be let out.

Has anyone ever used this dry suit, or known someone who has? I heard that undergarments are optional with this suit, I was wondering how other people have used it, and what they wore underneath. Also, if anyone has any advice specific to this drysuit, I would appreciate it. Is this drysuit considered a semi-dry? did this suit keep you warmer than a wetsuit?

thanks alot, any info is appreciated.

Scott

No, a drysuit is drysuit, a semi-dry is a semi dry and a wetsuit is a wetsuit.
Although, a drysuit can be a wet suit or a semi dry if it is leaking :eyebrow:

If the seals fit you and are intact, as well as the zipper being intact, and there are no pinhole leaks anywhere, yes the suit will keep you dry.

Anywho, depending on the water temp in your area you might not need an undergarment but I'd recommend one of minimum thickness, regardless.

Green_Manelishi:
No, a drysuit is drysuit, a semi-dry is a semi dry and a wetsuit is a wetsuit.
Although, a drysuit can be a wet suit or a semi dry if it is leaking :eyebrow:

If the seals fit you and are intact, as well as the zipper being intact, and there are no pinhole leaks anywhere, yes the suit will keep you dry.

Anywho, depending on the water temp in your area you might not need an undergarment but I'd recommend one of minimum thickness, regardless.

thanks - now I'm sure its definitely a drysuit, not a semi-dry. I'm going to look into getting some minimum thickness polypro undergarments for her. In the meanwhile, I hope I can find someone who has used that particular drysuit!

I think this is the type (or close) I rented for my drysuit course - I recall that it was a 7 mm neoprene O'Neill drysuit with booties. It was OK, nothing spectacular, but it certainly worked fine - I stayed dry and warm.

I used some non-cotton running clothes - long-sleeved top and tights with wool socks and a cotton sweatshirt over everything - during my course dives, which were in Rockport, MA in late November (upper 30's/low 40's). I was fine, temperature-wise.

After the course, I purchased a 7 mm drysuit (Bare D6 Pro dry) as my first so that I could get accustomed to drysuit diving, and I still use it and like it almost 2 years later. I think I will probably always use it now for very cold water - I only have to carry 24 lbs as long as I'm using a steel tank in saltwater anyways with it, so the weight doesn't bother me, and my body is often warmer than my husband's in his snooty DUI - which I know you guys will jump on so that you can point out he has inadequate undergarments, yadda yadda... (Note: I reserve the right to upgrade to a DUI if I choose...)

I now use a Bare undergarment (comfort extreme) and Weezle socks which keep me just as warm as the aforementioned list of clothing - it is more convenient not to have to haul all that other stuff around, but as long as your wife isn't wearing cotton next to her skin, it may not make that big of a difference depending upon the water temp. I do like the Bare undergarments, though - they weren't very expensive and fit beautifully. I may go up to the next level of undergarment warmth for winter dives for next year, but even still, my hands usually limit me more than my body, coldwise.

Good luck! Hope your wife likes her new (to her) drysuit!

I'm curious what you paid for the suit? Not that it matters now but you can buy this suit brand new from a dive shop for $500. (I replaced my zipper last fall and I was debating whether to replace the zipper or buy a brand new suit). My suit was in perfect condition less the zipper so I decided $125 was better than $500. I learned from the suit tech my zipper most likely died early due to poor waxing. I used to wax it maybe once every 4-5 dives (duh). Now I wax it every other dive and cinge the fray whenever it appers. This is applicable to any suit zipper though.

When I bought mine (5 years ago) it was $750 plus $150 for DUI undergarments. I bought this suit based on the recommendations of several instructors I was diving with at the time. Both had the suit and agreed it was the best bang for the buck. I have been very happy with the suit. You have to deal with the neoprene compression/buoyancy change at depth but it's no big deal. The neoprene is snug so you have less air pocket issues to deal with compared to trilam suits, you have a little less mobility with a neoprene suit due to the snug fit, must use more lead, have more thermal protection in the event of a critical suit failure compered to a trilam, etc., etc. Their are advantages and disadvantages to suits of any material. (You can do a search to dig up those threads if you want).

You could use this suit sans undergarments depending upon your water temps. I dive with my suit year round (in Mass) so I have always worn undergarments. I had Diving Concepts dry gloves installed this winter. What a great improvement over wet gloves. The coldest water I have ever dove was 35 degrees F. (My second temp device read 34 degrees). Point is - it keeps you as warm as a $2000 suit. When the temps are below 40 degrees and I'm breathing air I add heat packs to the gloves and boots. (Same heat packs used for skiing). This is a nice addition as well.

This is a good suit, and an exceptional suit considering the price difference.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I'm curious what you paid for the suit?

This is a good suit, and an exceptional suit considering the price difference.

--Matt

Hi Matt. I paid $75 for the suit. It seems to be in excellent condition. Looks like I got an exceptional bargain. Is that the exact suit you have, the O'neill XTS 7/5 mil neoprene with attached booties? I thought they didn't make it any more.

the water we are diving in will be 55-59 degrees. I was hoping that maybe I could find some thin undergarments for my wife to wear under the suit for under $75 (is that wishful thinking?)

Her suit fits fairly snugly, but its not choking anywhere, is it supposed to fit snugly? she hasn't tried wearing undergarments under it yet. Also, she has a lot of trouble getting the neck seal over her face putting the suit on and taking it off, she cut her lip on the neck seal once and needs someone's assistance getting the neck seal over her face, have you had that problem? any advice on it?

1 more question - I'm thinking that at shallow depths (20-30ft), there might not be much squeeze, and she may not even need to put air into the suit, does that sound right, or would she need to add air at any depth?

thanks a lot for sharing your experience, we might have more questions for you later this week....

Scott

scottfiji:
Hi Matt. I paid $75 for the suit. It seems to be in excellent condition. Looks like I got an exceptional bargain. Is that the exact suit you have, the O'neill XTS 7/5 mil neoprene with attached booties? I thought they didn't make it any more.

the water we are diving in will be 55-59 degrees. I was hoping that maybe I could find some thin undergarments for my wife to wear under the suit for under $75 (is that wishful thinking?)

Her suit fits fairly snugly, but its not choking anywhere, is it supposed to fit snugly? she hasn't tried wearing undergarments under it yet. Also, she has a lot of trouble getting the neck seal over her face putting the suit on and taking it off, she cut her lip on the neck seal once and needs someone's assistance getting the neck seal over her face, have you had that problem? any advice on it?

1 more question - I'm thinking that at shallow depths (20-30ft), there might not be much squeeze, and she may not even need to put air into the suit, does that sound right, or would she need to add air at any depth?

thanks a lot for sharing your experience, we might have more questions for you later this week....

Scott

I just checked the O'Neill web page. The model names have changed a few times over the years. I assume yours is not brand new, so there is no reference to the XTS in current models. They still make a 7mm neoprene drysuit and now they offer a 3mm compressed neoprene suit.

From what you described you definitely have the drysuit. If it's in working condition (seals not ripped, zipper in good condition, etc.) then you got a hell of a deal. Even if you had to replace the zipper you got a great deal. Your wife will most likely need undergarments for water in the mid 50's to be comfortable. You could get away with no-name thinsulate undergarments but the advantage of the actual dive thermals is the way they are cut. (No excess material around the neck, etc.) She cannot wear anything cotton, it needs to be material that repels water.

She would definitely need to add air to the drysuit. In fact, you need to add air below about 10' to prevent uncomfortable squeeze. The suit is much more comfortable once you have some depth in fact and you have added air to the suit. It is much more comfortable underwater with air added than it is on the surface. The suit will fit snug by design (should be just a little looser than a wetsuit). The neoprene neck seal is usually pretty easy to get into but your idea of snug may not be the same as mine. She can spread a little scent free talc powder around the neck seal and in the wrist seals to help with the entry. This makes a huge difference. I personally use baby powder. Technically you are not supposed to use this because with long exposure it can break down the neoprene. I have read this and heard this but have never experienced it. The point is a powder will greatly assist her getting into the suit.

I would suggest she take a drysuit class if she has not already done so. Some people use drysuits without having taken classes as well. I enjoyed my class and learned some great tips right from the start.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I personally use baby powder. Technically you are not supposed to use this because with long exposure it can break down the neoprene. I have read this and heard this but have never experienced it. The point is a powder will greatly assist her getting into the suit.

I would suggest she take a drysuit class if she has not already done so. Some people use drysuits without having taken classes as well. I enjoyed my class and learned some great tips right from the start.

--Matt

Matt, thanks again - yeah, the seals and zipper are in great shape, we got a good deal.

I'll have her try baby powder or talcum powder. She will be taking a dry-suit class.

Scott

I have an ONeil dry suit similar to the one you describe and I really like it a lot. It is 7mm everywhere but the arms which are 5mm for improved flexibility.

I dove trilams for nearly 2 decades (including the snooty kind) until I borrowed an Atlan neoprene suit after one of my tri-lams zipper failed after the first dive of the day. After that, I just had to have a neoprene dry suit despite being indoctrinated with 20 years of DUI ads saying how crappy they were. In general I have found neoprene dry suits suits to be much warmer than a tri-lam/heavy underwear combination and much easier to put on. Neoprene suits are also much more comfortable due to the flexible material and they tend to fit much snugger than a tri-lam but do it without restricting movement so they are much more streamlined in the water. I'll probably never go back to a tri-lam suit.

Neoprene suits often get bashed for not being as durable as a tri-lam or vulcanized rubber suit, but my spouse has 300 plus dives on her Atlan (and she bought it used) and it is still going strong. So it you take reasonable care to prevent creases from forming, (hang them folded in half over a 3" or 4" piece of PVC pipe) they will last a long time. If you do get a pin hole it can be hard to find. The best approachs are to either put suitably sized bottles in the seals and air the suit up then spray soapy water over the area where the leak is suspected. Or alternatively if the leak is in an arm or leg, let the suit dry then fill the suspected arm or leg with water and wait for the leak to appear on the outside. A very small dot of aquaseal is usually adequate to seal the leak - no need to get carried away. Any rips or tears (God forbid) can also be fixed with neoprene cement (just like the seal repair mentioned below) which is actually easier ad faster than fixing a rip or tear in a tri-lam.

In normal water temps (60 degrees to mid/upper 40's) I normally dive with only a wal-mart grade cotton sweat suit for undergarments. People bash cotton's insulating abilities, but it is very comfortable and all you really need with a neoprene suit is a barrier to keep the cool clammy feel of the suit off your skin and to keep your skin dry. For that reason alone, you need something even in warm water. In warmer water, a set of very thin polypropolene underwear is adequate to wick moisture away from the skin. In colder water (down to 32 degrees) I will wear a still relatively thin polypropolene/fleece sweat shirt and polypropolene/fleece sweat pants. They run about $30.00 each so their is no need to spend big bucks on undergarments.

My one and only negative comment regarding my O'Neil dry suit is that the neck seal is made from two pieces of 5mm neoprene that are butted together and glued creating a seam on each side of the neck. One of these seams separated while removing the suit after about 5 dives. It was easy to butt the pieces back together and reglue the seam with neoprene cement, but to prevent a repeat occurrence I glued a 3/4" wide strip of nylon tape to the back side (nylon fabric side of the neoprene) of the seam for it's entire lenght. It does not affect comfort, as you roll the neck seal inside anyway so the smooth rubber outside of the seal bears against your skin, but the tape does reinforce the seam so that it will not separate.

Lubrication is not normally needed for the neck seal as it is nylon or lycra covered on the inside surface and slides over your head well. The neoprene wrist seals are another matter however. The seals on my suit have the smooth side on the insde and are not designed to be rolled under. They can consequently be a bear to get on if they are dry, but a little K-Y jelly does wonders and I actually prefer it to talcum powder. K-Y and similar "personal" lubricants are water based and are consequently neoprene and latex freindly unlike petroleum based lubricants and it does not feel "ishy" like you would expect. The downside is that you actually have to buy the stuff in the store. I have come to believe that the Wal-mart self checkout is a Godsend in that regard.

DA Aquamaster:
I dove trilams for nearly 2 decades (including the snooty kind) until I borrowed an Atlan neoprene suit after one of my tri-lams zipper failed after the first dive of the day. After that, I just had to have a neoprene dry suit despite being indoctrinated with 20 years of DUI ads saying how crappy they were. In general I have found neoprene dry suits suits to be much warmer than a tri-lam/heavy underwear combination and much easier to put on. Neoprene suits are also much more comfortable due to the flexible material and they tend to fit much snugger than a tri-lam but do it without restricting movement so they are much more streamlined in the water. I'll probably never go back to a tri-lam suit.

Just wanted to comment - this is great to hear, as I am almost always the lone neoprene drysuit diver whenever we do a local charter!! You know what, though? I have to say, I love my 7 mm neoprene drysuit. It's toasty warm.

We have a DUI event coming up in this area, and I am interested to try a crushed neoprene suit to see what it's like. Snooty, I'll bet.

Back
Top Bottom