O'Neill J wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are one of the best wetsuits out there, very slow water transfer if it fits you well.
Good luck,
U/O

I have an O'Neill 7000 X-J with 200+ dives on it. It looks like the one you are referring to is slightly different. I love the suit. It fits very well and it is very warm. The only complaint I have is with the way the hood attaches at the back. The design is poor and does let water in on occasion.

As a note, I wore it on some dives out in your area and the rest of the divers on the boat thought I was crazy. They were all diving dry and thought I would freeze. I was toasty warm.

I am currently looking at a drysuit, but when this O'Neill finally wears out I will buy another one.

I also have the O'Neill 3mm and it is jujst as nice.

Wow, someone started a thread about my favorite wet suit.

However, there are some things you should know about that suit.

Before getting to the details, I have a lot of wetsuits...12 right now (and one dry suit), if I remember correctly. Everything from .5mm to the J-suit. I think I have every major maker represented.

The quality of Neoprene varies incredibly, as do the methods of putting the pieces together, and how issues like arm and leg seals are done.

So, with that in mind, how is the suit?

Well, for starters, there are no leg or arm zippers, nor are there any "seals" in the arms or legs. Add to that, that in the main body, you have to pull up 12mm of very stretchy neoprene, and the first time you put one on, is a major workout.

Like any wetsuit, fit is important...but even with a perfect fit, expect the legs and the arms to be tight.

The thing weighs a ton and takes close to that in lead to get down (but so does a dry suit).

If it fits, and you learn the tricks to getting it on (it is easy to do today), you may find you have to stretch out the arms or legs (with me it was the forearms...).. the right sized bottle and a week and that was corrected.

So, is it warm? The coldest water I have been in has been 39 degree water. Under 20 feet, I was actually warm.

I have akona, bare, pinnacle (merrino lined) and Henderson 7mm suits... the closest in warmth would be the Bare, and it is not very.

All wetsuits have a compression issue with depth, so if you are going to spend a lot of time deeper that 60 ft, in cold water, then dry is the only way to go. If, however, you will be spending most of your time above 60 ft, or the water is not in the 40's or below, then I know of no suit that is warmer. (if it fits)

Thanks all for your comments so far.
I dive dry but am looking at a W/S for the summer to save wear and tear on the D/S and for snorkelling. I've dove the Bare arctic but don't like the bulk of a two piece. If I wear it as a one piece I'd only have a 7mm core but then I saw this O'Neill J one piece with an 11mm core and think it looks promising.
Thanks Puffer for the fit info. I'll look for a store with some in stock to try one on for fit.

Back
Top Bottom