One wing for singles and small doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can you recommend a wing (Halcyon is preferable) that can be used for:
a) 15l steel tank (most of the time)
b) small steel doubles (2x8l or 2x10l)

TIA

The 40lb. Halcyon Explorer wing would probably be the best, or maybe the OMS 45lb non-banded bladder, Dive Rite Trek wing, or the 45lb. Abyss Rec2Tec wing.

I would STRONGLY reccomend against it. I think combination wings are a kluge - and I learned the hard way.

If you insist on getting a wing which will end up working not as well for both doubles and singles, I would reccomend a Deep Outdoors 40 lb bladder. And to no ones disbelief - PM me if you're interested. Cheap. :)

Hi

I have a DiveRite 60lbs for my dives with bigger doubles (2x15l) and stages. This one does not work well so well with a singeltank, it can be used with a singletank but it traps to much gas in the wings.

I also have a AUL 45lbs wing that I use for my smaller 2x7l and 2x10l doubles. I have made som small modification to make it work well with the singeltank I use (from 7l-15l). I have made two small holes on each side of the middle of the wing close to the tank well away from the bladder. When I used this bladder with a singeltank I simply run a thin string of bungee cord throu the holes around each side of the bladder. This makes the wing wrap up close to the tank and makes the gas ni the bladder stay close to the tank. The wing is still easy to empty and inflate orally and since I don't go into anyplace narrow on an singeltank two small bungecords doesn't add any trouble.

Of course adding some bondage stuff to a wing makes some people start going bananas but it works fine for me.

Anders

MonkSeal:
Can you recommend a wing (Halcyon is preferable) that can be used for:
a) 15l steel tank (most of the time)
b) small steel doubles (2x8l or 2x10l)

TIA

The best option is to use 2 wings, one for sigles, one for doubles. Using a doubles wing, such as a Halcyon Explorer, with singles produces something called the "taco effect" where the wing sides end up vertical above the diver. Far from optimal as far as stability goes. DiveRite makes a few wings that they advertise as working for either but I bet they taco too.

Look for a used wing on eBay or in the various gear exchange forums. Saving money is important but safe and comfortable diving is more important.

WW

WreckWriter:
DiveRite makes a few wings that they advertise as working for either but I bet they taco too.

... They don't like them to be called bungees.

In any case, if tightened, the taco effect is almost totally eliminated with a 15 liter tank (although it is never the same as using a much smaller wing, naturally).

Ari

Ari:
... They don't like them to be called bungees.

In any case, if tightened, the taco effect is almost totally eliminated with a 15 liter tank (although it is never the same as using a much smaller wing, naturally).

Ari

Yes, they call it "gusset control cord". AFAIK DIR is opposed to any kind of bungees around wings. Can some DIR trained diver share his opinion on this ?

Ari:
Dive Rite Trek or even the bigger Rec. I am diving 15 liter steel with the Rec and it works fine.

Ari

I did some research and I think I'll go for DiveRite Rec. How do you mount single tank ? Do you use STA or you have a backplate with slots for cam bands ?

MonkSeal:
I did some research and I think I'll go for DiveRite Rec. How do you mount single tank ? Do you use STA or you have a backplate with slots for cam bands ?

You'll need a STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom