One wing for singles and small doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter:
DiveRite makes a few wings that they advertise as working for either but I bet they taco too.

I have a rec wing and as Ari pointed out if you tighten the "gusset-control cord" (aka bungee :wink:) all the way you don't get much of a taco. However the gusset cord has another interesting aspect. Unlike the OMS bungees (which circle the wing) the DR cord zig-zags across and when tightened will fold the wing over on itself (see attached image). There is the possibility of trapping air in these folds. Not a lot of air but you can still trap some. During my first half dozen dives with the wing I had trouble swimming at a shallow depth. If I tried to swim just below the surface (10 or less feet) I had trouble staying down and would yo-yo. Since removing the gusset cord I don't have this problem anymore. However the wing now wraps up around the tank and makes a nice taco. *shrug*

Like others have said, these dual purpose wings seem to be a bit of a kludge.

MonkSeal:
AFAIK DIR is opposed to any kind of bungees around wings. Can some DIR trained diver share his opinion on this ?

That is correct. Bungee wings are a no-no for DIR.

WW

WreckWriter:
That is correct. Bungee wings are a no-no for DIR.

I think he was looking for an explain as to why they are a no-no.

cornfed:
I think he was looking for an explain as to why they are a no-no.

Then why don't you take that one Drew? I'm sure you know the answer.

WW

Hi Tom,

Allow me, Bungee wings are a no no because you can't orally inflate them and in the event of any knid of failure the bungees force the air out of the wing. The shape of the wing with the bungees also creates more drag. Did I miss anything?

Chris

deepbluetech:
Hi Tom,

Allow me, Bungee wings are a no no because you can't orally inflate them and in the event of any knid of failure the bungees force the air out of the wing. The shape of the wing with the bungees also creates more drag. Did I miss anything?

Chris

Added snag hazard.

There is also the enhanced likelihood of trapping air and throwing off your trim.

BTW - Tom it is nice to see you back here on SB.

WreckWriter:
Then why don't you take that one Drew? I'm sure you know the answer.

WW

Any particular reason you're so cranky today?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom