One window VS Two Window Masks and Spilt Fins VS Regular fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexx007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I looking into finally purchasing some of my own equipment and I've found a few different brands I like but I am just wanting a few opinions!!

A one window mask or a two window mask? I have only every used a 2 window mask, and having worn glasses I'm used to the piece in the middle, but I tried on a few of the one window ones in store and liked them as well. Is it more personal preference than anything? Any pros and cons for either? The only chance I'll have to test them out before diving will be in a pool, which doesn't really give me much to go on!

Also, fins. I do want the open heel adjustable fins. But, I have only ever used regular fins and the store I visited highly recommended split fins. I really won't have an opportunity to give them a test out before diving. So I'm wondering, best to go with the more basic type of fin I am used to? Or are split fins a good worthwhile buy?

ooh this might open a big can of worms.

Mask is most important to get a good fit. Next probably to get a low profile mask meaning not a lot of air in the mask because it sits closer to your face. This will make it easier to clear if water gets in.

Fins are a touchy issue. I don't like splits because it feels like I get no thrust. I have large legs though. I recently moved to stiff jet fins which take some legs to kick them.
Splits seem to be better with smaller legs. Tey aren't as versatile though for doing different kicks like frog kicks and with stronger currents. The recommendation would probably be to get some good middle of the road paddle fins. I have cressi reaction that I use for travel because they are lighter than the jets.

2 window have an advantage if you require off the shelf vision correction. Many dive shops will carry (or can obtain) a variety of corrective lenses that can be installed in place of the stock lens. You can get different strengths for each side. Not so easy with a single window.

But this is no advantage if you need serious vision correction (like bifocals) which often entails bonding corrective lens to the stock lens.

Split fins? Not gong there...

I've got perfect 20/20 vision now thanks to laser eye surgery!! Those that I've spoken to that use the one window love it, but being as I've never used such a mask I'm wondering if it's wise to purchase or not!

Hmmm I may just stick to regular fins for my first pair, still undecided on that one!

Two window masks are easier to design to get a very close, low volume fit without hitting the forehead and nose. But then along came the best mask ever, the Atomic Frameless, which is as it says, a frameless, single window mask that has the widest field of unobstructed view I have ever used and it is very low volume. It comes in two sizes and is tolerant of a wide variety of facial shapes. In over 40 years of recreational diving, it is number one, the very best mask I have ever used and the driest by far. A close second is the Mares X Vision (two window) and followed by the Scuba Pro Frameless single window. Those are my favorite three masks ever.

N

How about the Atomic Venom mask? Same, better, worse, than the Atomic Frameless? Also, I never see any comments about Force fins. I like mine and am surprised I don't hear more about them.

How about the Atomic Venom mask? Same, better, worse, than the Atomic Frameless? Also, I never see any comments about Force fins. I like mine and am surprised I don't hear more about them.

Didn't Force Fins recently stop production?

Don't know that. I have two pair (larger pair for my drysuit and smaller pair for my wetsuit). They don't exactly wear out so I haven't had to try to replace them. I also have a pair of Aqualung Hot Shot for travel.

Bob Evans told me at DEMA he was shutting down Force Fins.

I just used a set of split-fins for the first time after 45 of diving, I hated them. No power what so ever. If you are thinking about fins, I suggest to borrow some to see what you like.

Comments above about low volume, corrective lenses, etc is right on.

A mask should fit. If you don't need corrective lenses, it doesn't matter whether it's one lens or two.

Split fins making kicking very easy -- they're like low gear on a bike. It's easy to kick, but you have to do a lot of it. If you ever progress to wanting to maneuver yourself precisely in the water, they won't make that simple. (For example, if you take up underwater photography.) And although their aficionados will argue with me, they are awful in silty conditions.

Back
Top Bottom