One week down, one more to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We arrived on Curacao one week ago and have been diving everyday.

I have been conducting an instructor course through PADI/DSAT for Tec-Deep and start a Tec-Trimix instructor course today.

Diving here is super easy...sloping beaches/bottoms that drop deep quickly. We have found a thermocline with cold water & poor visibility at about 170 fsw, but shallower than that the water is VERY clear and 86 degrees F / 30 degrees C

Our diving has been mostly at Blue Bay, but have also dived at Wederford. I have not seen one fish of any size except for one 3 foot barracuda. Lots of anemones & lionfish.

Helium is crazy expensive down .. $500 for a T bottle filled to 1700 psi here and the T-bottles of Oxygen are filled to maybe 1700 psi also.

Overall a great place and great diving!!:D

Jim -- You were missed at the shop today (talking politics with John Jones) but we also talked about how much fun you all are having. Looking forward to hearing how things went when you get back.

Jim, don't try to convince us you are working. I have seen the pictures and read the status updates! Lol

Glad you are having a good time. I will stop in when you are back Sony can eat all about it in person. And don't worry, I think the girls are keeping Gene in line.

Jim 5 of us are headed to Curacao in May to support a Free Diving Competition as deep safety's. We are all diving Rebreathers. We will be looking for or bringing HE O2 and a booster if needed. Do you have a contact on Curacao for the Gas and do you know of a booster. We will bring Scrubber but also would like to rent Stages down there if Possible. You mentioned a thermocline at 170fsw What was the temp below that? The free Divers are reaching the 100m mark now and we want to be within 10 m of their Max depths. As we spend a fair bit of time at depth the Temp is of interest to us. Thanks Lloyd

Jim 5 of us are headed to Curacao in May to support a Free Diving Competition as deep safety's. We are all diving Rebreathers. We will be looking for or bringing HE O2 and a booster if needed. Do you have a contact on Curacao for the Gas and do you know of a booster. We will bring Scrubber but also would like to rent Stages down there if Possible. You mentioned a thermocline at 170fsw What was the temp below that? The free Divers are reaching the 100m mark now and we want to be within 10 m of their Max depths. As we spend a fair bit of time at depth the Temp is of interest to us. Thanks Lloyd

I do not recall the temp below the thermocline, it was chilly .... I expect the hosts of the event and/or CuracaoJ has the answer.

I don't know that I can be of a lot of help on the thermocline issue. I've been below it randomly a couple of times, none were that deep, and water temps dropped to about 22/23C, but none were at that location. The underwater geography at Caracasbaai is a little different being a deep water inlet. Ocean Encounters has a couple of guys that used to dive tech, and you could also contact Tec Diving Curacao (Alain) Tec Diving Curacao and see if he gets down there. The only other option would be to drop a dive computer down there where you guys are going to be parked and bring it up and look at the history.

If you're going to be parked at 90M for a while I'd suggest trying to get someone to measure the temp a few days before the event so you guys can have accurate data.

Good luck,
Jeff

Hi, we are heading to Curacao in July and were thinking about staying at the Blue Bay, but I've heard mixed reviews. This is our 5th trip to Curacao. We are experienced divers and in the past stayed at Habitat (very sad over it's demise) and the Kura Hulanda at Westpunt. This time around we have a brand new diver with us, so were looking for a place that has an easy and decent house reef, but that is closer to town than Westpunt as we will also have an 18 YO non-diver with us. We dove once at Blue Bay and it seemed like a good compromise, but the ocean side apts are hellaciously expensive and the village apts apparently have a major mosquito problem.

Can I asked where you stayed at Blue Bay, and what you thought of it? Or, do you know of any other properties that might fit the bill? I'm going to post a question in the main forum also. Thanks!

We stayed in an apartment on the property at Blue Bay. We liked it and would stay again. I will try to find the owners' name and contact info.

Micktrick1@hotmil.com is the e-mail address for Mick Bosman whose mother owns the apartments. Contact Mick.

Thanks All for the Info The competition has been postponed until Oct. I will follow up on the Suggestions and we are in contact with Ocean Encounters as they are hosting the Event.

Back
Top Bottom