One-Piece vs. Two-Piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
Any thoughts on a full 5mm vs. a two-piece 3mm farmer john and long sleave shorty. Does one layer of 5 give you more or less warmth than two layers of 3? Cold is a subjective thing, so I'm interested in the mechanics of these different styles.

The full 5mm I'm looking at is the Bare 5-4 with 4mm in the joints, sleaves and lower legs. I like full suits for all conditions, so I wouldn't ever wear just the shorty portion of a two piece in the summer. I have a full 3mm for that.

In my experience a good fitting one piece 7mm wet suit, or preferably a semi dry, is as warm as a 2 piece 7mm shorty/farmer john wetsuit. My thoughts are that there is less water flow in the one piece, provided it fits well, which makes up for the decreased insultation in the torso area. I think this would apply as well to 5mm or 3mm suits.

In your case I think the overall greater insulation of the 5mm suit would make it even warmer realtive to a 3mm farmer john and shorty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom