one piece VS two piece wetsuit, which one is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just did OW and got certified last weekend. I’m thinking about buying a wetsuit (either 5mil or 7mil). My plan is to buy a thick wetsuit now to dive in Chicago area and a thin wetsuit (probably 3mil) later for warmer dive. I’m not quite sure whether should I get a one piece or two piece. Could someone tell me your experience or the advantages and disadvantages of one piece and two piece? What feature should I look for when buying a wetsuit?

Thanks

Personally I love a one peice and detest two peices. Two peice Farmer John's in my experience are too restrictive and make me feel like a penguin. Plus since you are doubling up on the neopreme in the main body area, you will need to wear more weight than you would wearing a single peice. But on the other hand the two peices are inherently warmer. I don't know about Chicago, but I know here in California with water temps around 56 degrees, I won't go anywhere without a 7mil full suit. (as it is I'm currently making the transition to drysuit diving)

I just went through this late last season...the debate between the full suit and the farmer. I used the 7mm 2 piece farmer for my OW check day one out dives, and hated it, It felt bulking, and constricting, and it drove me up the wall. By the end of day one, I was ready to give up. (It was poorly fitted and very used)

Went back to the LDS and got a 7mm one piece and just loved it. The ony issue is diving in the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence, the water temps dipped a bit low to make the fullsuit fully comfortable tempreature wise.

This year I bought a new 7mm fullsuit with a 7mm hooded vest. Definately not the same as the old rental farmer from my OW course. I bought on full size bigger for the hooded vest, so it while it still fit well it did not add the squeeze factor that teh older farmer did. The added 7mm layer around the torso really helped improve the warmth factor. This set up gives me the best of both worlds. I can dive just the one piece when the temprature allows. than can add teh extra layer for colder water dives. (i.e. late seaon, or sub-thermocline sites)

Unless you're the off the rack body but type (which I am not) the rentals that were avaiable were stretched and fit poorly. This contrubuted to my initial dislike for the two piece, so I was a bit more than apprehensive when I talked to the wetsuit dealer about the full suit AND the hooded vest set up. I've dove the new wetsuits three times now, and the difference is night and day.

I would definately suggest that you look into a 7mm fullsuit for the most of the season and then invest in a good 7mm hooded vest for the added layer for colder water.

BTW my "going south" wetsuit is a 5/4 hydrostrech fullsuit. Most of the northern divers I talked to said that the 5/4 would be great for down south if you're doing more than one or two dives per day. I'll find out this December in Cuba.

The brands I went with were Bare Artic 7mm...(Velocity for the 5/4)but I'm sure there are other brands out there that are comparable and possibly even better..

Good luck and happy diving.

When I dive in Wisconsin quarries, I use a 7mm farmer john. My instructor uses a drysuit. In Florida, I use a 3mm one-piece suit that I fine comfortable at any time of the year.

BTW, my first (1970) wetsuit was a 1/4" two-piece with a beavertail, and no farmer john straps. It was fine for Maine Septembers and New Jersey Decembers.

My wife and I are both currently using Trimax farmer john style 7mm wetsuits and we love them for warmth (although she's already hinting at a dry suit for winter diving and for convience).

Two of our best friends both using wet suits as well but they're using one piece which seems to be better for them but they both also wear core warmers under their suits.

Some say that it seems your upper body is more bouyant when wearing the farmer john style suit -- which seems to make some sense. Try them on and see which ones are more comfortable for you.

I really like that I can put on just the lower portion of the suit before we leave the house and put the rest on when we get there.

I think most people that wear 2 piece wetsuits do because they use to be fairly standard. In "the old days" wetsuits weren't as easy to get into and you needed to have a 2 piece

I dive in MA and wear a 7/5 mm 1 piece. Allot of people wear 7mm one pieces. I only know a couple people that dive 2 piece suits, and they are the people that have been diving forever.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I think Michael Schlink brought up an interesting point about combining a 3mil and 5mil. Just wonder that does it really work? Have anyone ever tried that?

Eclipes785, you just indirectly answered a question I had in my mind during my OW last weekend. I wore a two-piece wetsuit and had a hard time trying to sink. I ended up had to put more weight (more than 10% of my body weight).

Michael Schlink, are you suggesting me to get a 3mil and a 5mil? Then when I want to dive in the colder area, I could wear both to create a virtual 8mil suit? That sounds like a genius idea! Does it really work? Have you tried it?

A properly fitting, and well-sealed 1-piece can end up being warmer than a 2-piece. There are fewer air spaces inside the 1-piece, so less water will flush through it, and water flushing through the suit will be your greatest loss of warmth. Whichever you decide to go with, make sure it fits well - sung, but not so tight it restricts your breathing. For cold water you should also look for something with flip seals inside the arms and legs to help minimize water movement.

ppatrick:
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I think Michael Schlink brought up an interesting point about combining a 3mil and 5mil. Just wonder that does it really work? Have anyone ever tried that?

Eclipes785, you just indirectly answered a question I had in my mind during my OW last weekend. I wore a two-piece wetsuit and had a hard time trying to sink. I ended up had to put more weight (more than 10% of my body weight).

Michael Schlink, are you suggesting me to get a 3mil and a 5mil? Then when I want to dive in the colder area, I could wear both to create a virtual 8mil suit? That sounds like a genius idea! Does it really work? Have you tried it?

I get cold very quickly so i use a 7 mm Vest (shorty) over a 7 mm 1 piece wetsuite. in very cold water (11 to 15 º C) i use the 14 mm, in semi warm water (18 to 22 º C) i use only the 7 mm 1 piece wetsuite, and when I dive in very warm water (over 25ºC) i use a all diferent 3 mm 1 piece wetsuit. So i think there is no problem in mix a 3 mm under the 5 mm. It's realy work for me

Just and advice, I think "Less pieces wetsuites, more confort", (and harder to get lost, even with the hood)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom