one piece VS two piece wetsuit, which one is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altho relativly new to this sport I ordered a custom fit (not a off the rack sized guy)5 mil one piece with a sleeveless 5 mil shorty from liquidfit. Living in Northern Wisconsin things change with each dive. on dives going down to 60 ft 46 degrees (yesterdays dive) I use the 1 piece with the shorty over it and on 20-30ft 55-70 degrees dives I just use the 1 piece. since the water up here hasnt warmed up past 70 (surface) I cant say when I will just wear the shorty. My dive buddy uses a 6.5 mil farmer john and had to order a thinner 1 piece since he was overheating shallower than 24 ft (current depth of thermalcline)

Get a two piece suit, custom suit from someone that will make it from Rubatex G-231NBN (accept no other material). Get a suit that is skin in, lycra out. This is so stretchy that you will not feel confined. There are many manufactrers, one I was impressed by at a dive show is Wet Wear.

Yes you can layer two wetsuits just be sure that you have the 3 mil on when you try on the 5. It IS "unconventional" but works quite well. I'm of the opinion that every diver needs a 3 mil one piece, perfect for warm water, and great for under a thicker suit. A well fittting stretchy 3 mil will keep most if not all the water off of you and the 5 will give you the added layer of insulation you'll need in colder water. The 3 will be much easier to get on. Layering is hardly a new concept

I can't stand the two-piece. I have a 7mm one-piece and LOVE IT. The comfort is so much better. Also, you need less weight.

I would go with the one-piece!

I've owned and dove both and I prefer the one piece. Layering is a very good way to improve the warmth of the suit.

Michael Schlink:
It IS "unconventional" but works quite well. I

Micheal, I don't think it's unconventional at alll to wear combinations for climate. Bare, for example, offers quite a few optons for layering including the 7mm fullsuit with either a 7mm hooded or 5 mm hoodless vest, or a 3 mm hooded undervest.

The Great Lakes might warm up by late summer (surface temp) but drop below the thermocline and you're right back to 50 degree water.

My last deep dive was during the fall, and surface temp was 60 degrees, at 100 feet is was a fair bit colder. My 7mm fullsuit could have had an exta layer and I wouldn;t have complained. (BTW I have a failry high resistance to cold...Just one of those things you develop when you spend many hours out in the cold hunting and ice fishing).

ppatrick,

Start with getting yourself a proper fitting 7mm full suit. (one with internal cuffs, Bare Artics are pretty good, come in a wide variety of sizes, (includig some odd sizes) and can be purchased at a very resonable price at divetank.com. [I'm a former customer not affiliate with them]).

Next decide on whether or not you plan on diving in April, May. October and November. If so, (other than going to a dry suit) you'll probably need a extra layer of some sort. Go up a size and get a 7mm hooded vest. For example, if you need a large full suit, go with an extra large hooded vest.

You won't feel consticted and will get your torso up to 14 mm protection AND get 7mm head coverage. Covering your head when diving in cold water is essential...even if a minimal 3mm beanie. I believe it's about 80% of heat loss occurs through the unprotected scalp.

If you like...wrap it up.:wink:

Cheers

I have a very nice, high quality 3mm farmer john that has been excellently maintained. It is in near perfect condition, despie the fact that I have about 50 dives in it. You can have it for a very small price. A real bargain.

I am using nothing but one piece suits now.

Warmer.

Easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom