One more question before I make my final choice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich, the fellow went to some effort to describe his situation and that is something we rarely see from the average poster. Even so, he didn't detail his diving style but because he going for an open heel type we can surmise he is a scuba diver. He did imply that he doesn't want a stiff, "instructor" fin like the Quattro. The foremost design trend in swim fins is aimed to provide a product which requires less effort while delivering more propulsion. That is the very definition of some split fins like the Apollo Pro, and the "cupped" fins like Velocity and Mako.

Quite frankly you can look at all the reviews and listen to everyone's opinion and then pitch it all in the trash can. Fins are one of those things that the only way you can decide if you like them better than something else is go do a dive with them. Using them in a pool is better than nothing, but only just slightly, most people don't kick quite the same in a pool as they do in the open water.

I started with Quatros (relatively stiff blade fin), that was the top fin in the shop. I thought they were okay until one of the instructors tossed me a pair of splits and told me take them on a dive. When I got back to the shop I bought myself a pair. For me the difference was no cramping, the cramps I got from the Quatros in Rescue almost caused me to be the one that needed a rescue.

Several years later I still dive with the splits and like them. But I should probably also try the Quatros again because my kicking style has changed quite a bit since then. I now do a lot more frog kicks, which may or may not work better with the Quatro.

If you are just taking your OW class, see if you can try them in the pool. Buy something that seems to be comfortable, and ideally not too expensive. Then when you get comfortable go on some dives at the local diving hole and ask to try fins from the store or even other divers. You would be surprised sometimes how many divers have an extra set or two of fins with them.

Chances are if you try several other kinds you will find something that fits your style.

If you try and don't like them, can you take them back? We have a store here called Diver's Direct. You can take back anything in 30 days. Even a pair of swimming trunks. If you can't get in a pool, and your dealer won't accept a return, you can buy these fins from Diver's Direct on line.

Back
Top Bottom