One more question before I make my final choice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sicel1304

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Ok, so after researching countless fins, I think I've decided on the Aeris Velocity Open Heel fins. I'm not exactly in the best of shape, but I do have moderately strong legs. My LDS owner recommended this pair of fins to me, and they seem like a good set of fins.

Could anyone put in their two cents before I make my final choice? Thanks!

VelocityOpenHeelFins_5001.gif

scuba pro jets, turtles or i'm not diving

I had a pair of the full foot version that I used to use for snorkeling - they were nice for that, but I didn't feel they were stiff enough for when I had to push myself and all my gear through the water - but very nice surface fins - try them out and see if you like them, IIR they are one of the less expensive fins out there, so you won't lose much in the process :wink:

Aloha, Tim

If you're interested in buying some good fins inexpensively, I'd suggest buying used jet fins on ebay. If you love them, great, but if not you're out very little money (you can always re-sell them). They've been called the best fins by many divers over the years, and they consistently garner praise (even if the magazines don't always love on them).

YMMV

My only remark about your fin purchase is: Make sure you try them in the water prior to purchase. Fins can feel great in the dive shop and a million people can recommend them, but the in-water test is critical as that will tell you if they are the fins for YOU.

Try em' out in the pool as mentioned. Also, these scuba ratings are marginally helpful. Standards like Jet Fins have been around forever because they work and can take a beating. These plastic composite fins may be light, slick and all that...but nothing like a tried and true design that has been around for decades.

Mr.X:
These plastic composite fins may be light, slick and all that...but nothing like a tried and true design that has been around for decades.

Composite is stronger and more durable than the original plastics in earlier fins. Studies have shown that the newer fins provide for energy with less force applied. The fins may feel like they are not providing a lot of force because they are more efficient and do not cause your legs to tire as easily.

Always try fins out before you buy and have fun diving.

Sicel, the Velocity is one of a growing family of light weight fins which pack easy and light, require almost no effort to kick, and outperform all traditional fins-- ALL. Others in this group are the Mares Avanti Tre, Oceanic Caribe and Aeris Mako. Among this group, my choice for FF fin is the Tre. Choice for OH fin, the Mako.

One of the jet type fins, the XS Powerfin, is a good kicker but pretty clunky. Your dealer has put you in the right ballpark. However, if you are in the market for a heavy, rubber fin which out kicks the rest, take a look at the Apollo series of split fins. Bring your check book.

Yep, I agree with trying them out first if you can. Then go get a pair of Mares Avanti Quatros.....and stay away from splits!!! oh...thats just my thoughts on splits.

Back
Top Bottom