One Day in Roatan next Thursday(1/8) on cruise. Any shop/site recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kapn.K

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm just O.W. and would like to do a couple. Not sure if we're coming into Mahogany Bay or Coxen Hole. I'm on MSC.
Thanks,
Steve

Anthony's Key is the cruise operator. It's on the north side so they'll pick you up. They often dive Overheat Reef nearby. Booked thru the ship. Dive Excursions - Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras

A closer choice is Barefoot Divers at Barefoot Cay - located on the south side between the 2 ports.
Dive Tours Roatán - Ship Shore Excursions - Barefoot Divers

A third option is Subway Watersports who will also pick you up - probably for north side diving.
Isla Roatan cruise ship shore excursions / tours Western Caribbean

Depending on your time in port there's also options in West Bay or the West End. You'd probably have to get yourself there but the shops can help with arranging a cab. Check with West Bay Divers, West End Divers (2 miles apart) or Coconut Tree Divers among others. Twice during the week we had cruise divers on our CTD boat.

Most of those dives are single tank so they return to the dock between dives so if you have all day in port you can probably do the two later ones. Or if you port at 8AM it would be possible to get to the West End by the 9AM departure usually - IDK how long it takes to get off the ship in Roatan.

Not sure if we're coming into Mahogany Bay or Coxen Hole. I'm on MSC.

And that is the key to the otherwise excellent answer you see in post #2.

The 1/8 schedule (?) is:
Mahogany Bay- Carnevil Splendor 6-2, Carnevil Pride 7-2
Coxen Hole- Norwedgie Dawn

I think.

Here's the rub: Whatever MSC is, even their website does NOT show any port of call anywhere near Roatan. They do seem to have one ship called the Divina. On their website which performs like I would have put it together, any search for Roatan comes up with, "Sorry, no cruises are available for this port. Contact your Travel Agent for more information." They do show some kind of non-cruise ship pier on the Roatan page.

You might have made alternative plans.

Where you port is very much-so relevant as to how far afield you might venture to select an alternative dive operation. Go with the cruise ship offering, you're really not going to get anything much different from any other dive-op that you walk into on a "first day" visit. Even Jaques Cousteau would get the stink eye.:crazyeye:

Last edited:
Even Jaques Cousteau would get the stink eye.:crazyeye:

That's classic, Doc. Thanks for the advice and thank you Diversteve. I am on the Divina. I don't think this is one of their regular routes. I'm going on something called jamcruise. About 60 funky jam bands. I couldn't even get an answer on their forum as far as which port. I'm going to check the ship's excursion desk as soon as I board. But if it was triple the price and not as cool a shop or site, I was considering doing my own thing.

Thanks again,
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom