One day from Bangkok SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leaveonlybubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay, so I'm taking a very last minute trip that will include all of one free day (could include over night) in Bangkok and I'm trying to decide whether to try to dive... I could head out Sunday morning very early but need to be back in BKK by mid-day Monday.
Suggestions? Ideas?
If I go I'd like to do something more advanced--I dive a lot so don't really want to spend the day on the bus for a hum-drum dive, but if there's somethign really worth doing I'm excited!

Matt, with just one day from Bangkok and no time for a no-fly day, you are pretty much limited to the Pattaya area. There are some wrecks there that you may enjoy. Try to get to the wreck called the Hardeep (or Sattahip or Sathaheep). Contact various operators in Pattaya and ask whether they have a trip scheduled for the day you want to dive.

Fly to the west coast... dive all day... then night/sleeper bus or train back to BKK that night?

Otherwise, as Quero said... you're limited to Pattaya

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread LeaveOnlyBubbles, since I have a similar question and your answers will likely be relevant to me too.

I'm off to China to teach English for a year (or maybe longer if I like it and re-sign an extended contract) and my flights there look to include BKK as a decent stopover point. At the moment I have 2 options, Thai air/Air Siam from Auckland to Bangkok, take some time hanging around and enjoying Thailand, then a BKK to Guangdong/Shenzuen flight with China Southern Airlines and a express sleeper train to ChongQing, total cost is around the $900 NZD mark before taxes/fees with airline meals included. Otherwise there is a Christchurch to Kuala Lumpur flight with 2 hours layover connecting straight through to a Chengdu flight, both on Air Asia, Cost 510 NZD before taxes and fees and airline meals cost extra. 12 hours after leaving NZ I'm in Chengdu and only a 2 hour bullet train ride from Chongqing.

What is the mid august diving like around the bay of Thailand south of Bangkok? worth the extra $350 plus accommodation? Any operators in the area that locals can recommend? How much would I expect to pay for a 2-4 day dive vacation, either liveabord or shore based?

I've seen comments that in the wet season in which August falls, the quality is rather sporadic in terms of vis and local conditions, how bad are we talking in that area? When is your trip LOB?

Hmm... interesting... so where can you fly quickly enough from BKK to be able to dive for the day and actually make the boats? thanks!

Fly to the west coast... dive all day... then night/sleeper bus or train back to BKK that night?
Otherwise, as Quero said... you're limited to Pattaya
Hmm... interesting... so where can you fly quickly enough from BKK to be able to dive for the day and actually make the boats? thanks!
You can't really fly into Phuket and dive on the same day as you do a boat dive, and the shore dives are not worth that huge effort. The first flights from Bangkok leave BKK at about the time the mini-vans are picking up customers at their hotels. If you could fly in the night before, you could do it. The last flights out of BKK are quite late, actually, so if you are considering a west-coast diving day, that would be the way to go. For the return, you would have to take a bus. We are not on a rail line. The overnight bus takes 12 hours to travel from Phuket to Bangkok. It's a long way to come for two or three dives!

If I go I'd like to do something more advanced--I dive a lot so don't really want to spend the day on the bus for a hum-drum dive, but if there's somethign really worth doing I'm excited!

Realistically the only option is Pattaya, which is about 2 hours and costs just over 100bt on the bus. As has already been suggested the Hard deep wreck at Samae San is (current permitting) a good dive, as is sharks fin which is a reef dive to a depth of around 26m. Most pattaya shops run trips to Samae San at some time, which is around 40km south from Pattaya.
In Pattaya its self the Khram wreck although an 'artificial' wreck now has plenty of life and again current permitting can be a good dive, the only other dive in the area which in my mind is worth doing is koh Rin North Rock (reef dive to around 18m). Unfortunately due to the distance between these sites it is unlikely that you will find a shop that will do both on the same day so you will usually get one ok dive and the second dive will usually be at koh Larn or Koh Sak which are shallow reef dives where jet ski's, speedboats and tour boats abound, and the diving is really not that good either.
Two things to beware are:
1) Most of the better dive sites in the area are subject to strong currents and as you are only proposing to dive on one day and shops run to a time schedule rather than to suit the tides it is unlikely that you will fall lucky and get the best conditions.
2) You will talk with a shop and make a booking to dive somewhere, only to find the next day without warning you are taken to somewhere different.

Also as you state you are looking for something that is 'really worth doing' so to avoid disapointment I would suggest some in depth research because in my mind nothing in the Pattaya or Samae San area is particularly outstanding, the diving around here is simply something that people do when they are already here for other reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom