on twin tanks, dir and manifolds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A DIR "zealot" would look at the proposed dive, assess the risks involved, and ensure that he had the proper kit and gases to do the dive safely. At the depths involved in coelecanth dives, this would definitely have required some advance prep, which might well have included shipping gear and/or gases.

I came here only because "coelacanth" was mentioned (username relevant).

I don't know anything about the equipment used in those dives, but I recall reading that the coelacanth's habitat (even when it ascends from the depths to feed) is extremely deep (300+ft), and at least two divers had died while on expeditions to find and film the fish on scuba.

Found some pics of the gear configs used for some of these dives (this was in the 2000-2001 timeframe):

image010.jpg

image026.jpg

Edit: I love the recent spate of old thread resurrections, if only that they're immune to the slathering "DO A SEARCH!" crowd.

Independent tanks are more correctly called twins than doubles. They can be back mounted or side mounted. There are definite advantages and disadvantages over manifolded doubles. Different tools for different applications.

Independent tanks are more correctly called twins than doubles.

I don't know which authoritative 'dictionary of scuba' you are refering to in order to determine the 'correctness' of terminology.

In the UK, we refer to doubles as 'twins'. It is short/slang for 'twinset'. It's a regional thing. The meaning is identical.... 2 tanks (manifolded or indie) worn on the back.

Back
Top Bottom