On the merits of cranking up standards.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padi courses feel very light on skills
In most cases, it's really not the agency: it's the shop/instructor. Many people shop for the cheapest price and then wonder why the cheap quality. I'm not saying that's what you did, but some shops will obviously try to meet this demand for cheap classes and try to make them profitable. The only way to do that is to raise the price they just lowered, get extremely efficient or cut corners. The latter is the easiest route to take. So, choose your instructor wisely and make be prepared to up the ante to receive quality instruction.

It wasn't so much the open water. There were a number of skills that were learned and practiced. I noticed the lack of substance more on the advanced course and on the Nitrox. The advanced course was good for navigation but the optional dives didn't really add much in terms of knowledge, for example, a deep dive where they showed us the loss of red from the light spectrum is the only thing that really stuck. The Nitrox course I felt I paid for twice. I paid for and took the on line course. I then had to pay and sit through basically a chat about various dive locations then write a test on what I was already tested on on-line. The only thing that I learned in the class that wasn't covered on-line was the use of the O2 sensor.

"

'Back in the day,' was the position of scuba instructor lucrative?
Richard.

My conclusion, after researching the pay and living standards of instructors in Hawai'i at the present time, is that yes, it seems like it may have been more lucrative back then. From what I read the people with the "dream job" are barely getting by and the life expectancy (of the job) of an instructor in Hawai'i is only around 6-12 months. This apparently is due to the condition where there is always someone who is willing to do it for a few dollars less. I'm sure there must be some instructors who can confirm or refute this.

I was also informed recently that there might be a dozen or more DMs standing on the dock hoping to be chosen to accompany divers on any given boat trip and that only two or three are needed. Consequently, they are often not hired but work for tips only. Perhaps it's just a trick to get more tips but it seemed believable at the time.

My conclusion, after researching the pay and living standards of instructors in Hawai'i at the present time, is that yes, it seems like it may have been more lucrative back then. From what I read the people with the "dream job" are barely getting by and the life expectancy (of the job) of an instructor in Hawai'i is only around 6-12 months. This apparently is due to the condition where there is always someone who is willing to do it for a few dollars less. I'm sure there must be some instructors who can confirm or refute this.
Jack's in Kona lists how long their employees have been working for them here:
About our Staff | Jacks Diving Locker | Jack's Diving Locker

No idea what they get paid, but the turnover isn't crazy. All the people I spent much time interacting with on my trip 18 months ago are still there as best I can tell. Everyone who works there in any capacity at all seems to be an instructor.

Jack's in Kona lists how long their employees have been working for them here:
About our Staff | Jacks Diving Locker | Jack's Diving Locker

No idea what they get paid, but the turnover isn't crazy. All the people I spent much time interacting with on my trip 18 months ago are still there as best I can tell. Everyone who works there in any capacity at all seems to be an instructor.

I was researching it from the point of view of retiring in Hawai'i and considering the possibility of getting a part-time job in the diving industry. It appeared (and appears) to be oversaturated for the most part. Perhaps there might still be a need for technicians (repairs) and people certified to do VIPs but it sounds like those jobs are probably filled by DMs and instructors.

So, unless you know somebody it sounds like the chances are a bit slim... I suppose I could always weave hats from coconut fronds or climb coconut trees for the tourists :wink:

The guy who taught my deep class was one of the repair techs. His GF was a boat captain (and scuba instructor), they had apparently spent a few years in asia teaching scuba before coming back to the US. So yeah, you pretty much need an instructor card at the very least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom