On/Off mouth piece? (cross post)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebum Don

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
On/Off Mouthpiece for Double Hose Regs?

I dive a modern Mistral D/H for video taping, research diving, Etc. (as well as vintage D/H regs for fun).

I'm looking for an On/Off mouthpiece/valve. Entries, surface swims, and exits all cause freeflow. I have a mouth piece plug, but it's cumbersome. I've added a 1" ball valve at the first stage that's handy, BUT a mouthpiece with an On/Off would be best!

ANY suggestions would be very appreciated??

TIA, Don

Rebreather mouthpiece, but expensive.

I dive a modern Mistral D/H for video taping, research diving, Etc. (as well as vintage D/H regs for fun).

I'm looking for an On/Off mouthpiece/valve. Entries, surface swims, and exits all cause freeflow. I have a mouth piece plug, but it's cumbersome. I've added a 1" ball valve at the first stage that's handy, BUT a mouthpiece with an On/Off would be best!

TIA, Don

No, but I agree, it would be awful nice.

I think the DSV mouthpieces are like thousands of dollars and they just throw the rebreather unit in for free when you buy one or something, it is ridiculous.

N

Last edited:
One I made out of a ball valve some years back. Worked fine because I could not justify the $$$ for one of the rebreather valves being offered.

That's pretty slick.
How about some info on the building of this project.
Might make it a little easier for those who would like to tackle this.

Thanks

That's pretty slick.
How about some info on the building of this project.
Might make it a little easier for those who would like to tackle this.

Thanks

Home Depot has all the parts. He spray painted them black. I built one nearly identical but decided it was sort of heavy and clunky but that is just me, others may vary--but--it did work.

N

TIA, Don

I know you may have your heart set on an on/off valve, but I find that swimming on the surface with my doublehose pulled under one of my arms (ala most 60's dive manuals) keeps it from freeflowing. You can also enter and exit with the mouthpiece in your mouth, which is how it was designed. FWIW.

I know you may have your heart set on an on/off valve, but I find that swimming on the surface with my doublehose pulled under one of my arms (ala most 60's dive manuals) keeps it from freeflowing. You can also enter and exit with the mouthpiece in your mouth, which is how it was designed. FWIW.

Yeah but then I cannot talk and handling deco and stage bottles is difficult and surface swimming on my back as I prefer and many prefer becomes annoying with the free flow.

N

Yeah but then I cannot talk and handling deco and stage bottles is difficult and surface swimming on my back as I prefer and many prefer becomes annoying with the free flow.

N

See you do them there fancy things like deco with a doublehose that I don't. Now I see...

See you do them there fancy things like deco with a doublehose that I don't. Now I see...

I use the mouthpiece plug (aka poor man DSV) for that purpose. It not only plugs the mouthpiece, but since I have the plug on a lanyard on my right shoulder harness, it also parks the mouthpiece in a convenient easy to reach place. Here is a link using this configuration:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...atest-technical-diving-regulator-phoenix.html

On the other hand, I have designed a very simple on/off (DSV) mouthpiece valve. It should be very easy to make, it is small, and will look somewhat similar to a vintage mouthpiece. Since there seems to be a lot of interest, I will try to have one made for our Bahamas (SD-VI) vintage dive trip.

Back
Top Bottom