New Poseidon Xstream (black) - an amateur review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCope3

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok so before I give you my opinion, I must first say that I'm not a seasoned veteran like a lot of people on here. In fact, I'm fairly new to the diving game, only about 2 years in. However, I dive pretty much weekly, if not more, and I have spent the summer getting certified and working as a divemaster, and now I do it at the local diving school on the weekends (I'm a teacher full-time, so that's about all I can do at this point). I am also not (yet) a technical diver, but one day I will make that leap. I want to continue learning and practicing skills for now because I'm having a lot of fun doing that and becoming super comfortable in the water. I only say all of that to say that yes, I have a lot to learn, but I hope you find my opinions helpful anyway... especially to anyone reading this that is also fairly new (or not) and might be deciding if Poseidon is right for you.

I wrote a post a little over a month ago asking for their opinions on some regulators. There are a lot of good folks on the forums here, so thank you for your perspectives. Big shouts out to @RainPilot and @tbone1004 especially on this one. I appreciate you guys.

After a lot of thinking and researching (and asking opinions on here), I decided to go with the Poseidon Xstream. I got the black models even though the difference between that and the Deep model is a cosmetic thing. I like black stuff, and I've been saving for this for a long time, so I went for it. I bought two 1st stages, two 2nd stages, 210cm hose for primary, 65cm hose for backup, and the Cirrus SPG (even though I'm using a DIR Zone black SPG to stick with the black motif... I'll keep the Cirrus for later).

My main hesitation came from the fact that I've heard service is hard to find for Poseidon because of their particular construction. That's just what I've heard. That being the case, I also heard that they're actually fairly simple in their design... minimal moving parts. I guess I'll see what that's all about the first time I need to service them. I would like to go to a workshop and learn how to service them myself, as I've heard that you can do that (correct me if I'm wrong). The 1st stages are heavy, and I like that. I feel like it's the equivalent of a '57 Chevy compared to a 2019 Toyota. The Toyota is nice and probably well-made, but the '57 Chevy is a big hunk-of-metal beast that is built to last. That's my impression of these 1st stages.

My other hesitation had to do with how they breathe. Lots of people say that they essentially push air into your lungs and it can be kind of uncomfortable. Actually, I don't really like to have to pull too hard when I breathe anyway, so I was looking forward to trying it. They said that these regs really come into their own below 40m. I've yet to cross that threshold (and I'm ok with that for now). They also said that above 40m they can be kind of annoying to breathe due to the servo-assisted mechanism.

Actually, I couldn't disagree more. After having them in the water now, I freaking LOVE they way they breathe. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with this purchase. That's not to say that other regulators suck by comparison, but I am really, REALLY happy with these things. There is a noticeable difference in ease of breathing (*ease* of breathing being the key here... it's super easy). I had previously read that it's harder to skip-breathe or to take partial breaths, but that's not true either, I tried it. The mouthpiece is comfortable and big compared to other ones that I've tried before, so that's nice too (even though I could have changed it if I wanted to anyway).

One thing I read that I can totally agree with... when doing a free-flow drill or if you need to purge with the reg in your mouth, it will feel like it's blowing the enamel off of your teeth. It was all I could do to not laugh hard when I tried it. I tried it a few more times for fun, too. It's awesome! hahaha. One thing I also read that is true, and this is important especially for someone buying Poseidon for the first time. Due to the upstream design (which is completely save with the integrated overpressure valve, OPV), pressure is actually needed to keep the 2nd stage from flowing. When opening the tank, you've got to do it fast and you'll hear the second stage blow air for less than half of a second. I had read that it freaked some people out, that they thought something was wrong. They were just opening the tank too slowly, apparently. I've also heard that at very low pressures, you might have a free-flow. I don't plan on finding out.

These things are robust; I've heard they'll last forever if you take care of them (time will tell for mine, but I'm confident). If you're on the fence about it, I would say 100% go for it. This is my favorite purchase so far (and it was the last purchase to complete my own gear setup). Well, I'm super happy with all of my gear, but as far as regs go, I'm super stoked about these. On top of all of that, they're suuuuuuuper sexy too.

I've attached some pictures. Forgive the lighting, my table is dark and the I don't have a proper place to do photoshoots of things like this in my tiny apartment, and I didn't want to increase the exposure because - like I said - I like black :crafty: I don't have an UW camera yet, so no in-action pictures.

@JCope3 glad you like them!
Service courses are offered, you'll have to check their website to find out where they are offered close to you. Tools to service can be purchased cheaply at the link below. You'll need the 17mm socket, and you'll want the tool kit for the second stages as well as the first stage socket for the xstream. Having a first stage holder is also convenient, but not necessary.
Special Tools for Poseidon® Regulators

The first stages are definitely solid blocks of brass, though they are quite a bit lighter than some chunkier first stages that are just physically larger *Apeks DST*, but they definitely inspire confidence when you hold them.

I think you may have misread 4m for 40m. The old jetstreams were prone to fluttering if tuned incorrectly at the surface, but the Xstream design is much more refined *same guts, but a different case design*. I'm not a huge fan of their mouthpieces, but if you like them then happy days. If you decide you want to change, look at the Comfobite mouthpieces sold by Apeks. That's what I have on mine and they fit the Poseidons with a little bit of persuasion.

At very low pressures, they will free flow, but that's below 10bar. They have a weird "hey dumba$$, your gas is low" notice where they will start to bleed for a second after you stop inhaling. They will lock up, but you'll see the exhaust bubbles going out in a little stream for a second. It's how I know to get off of a stage bottle in a cave, but not something I would try to find out on my primary regulators.

Your picture settings for your album must be set incorrectly for permissions since we can't see them. The best way to do pictures on this forum is to upload them to facebook and copy the link address and insert them that way.

My main hesitation came from the fact that I've heard service is hard to find for Poseidon because of their particular construction. That's just what I've heard. That being the case, I also heard that they're actually fairly simple in their design... minimal moving parts.

My other hesitation had to do with how they breathe. Lots of people say that they essentially push air into your lungs and it can be kind of uncomfortable. Actually, I don't really like to have to pull too hard when I breathe anyway, so I was looking forward to trying it. They said that these regs really come into their own below 40m. I've yet to cross that threshold (and I'm ok with that for now). They also said that above 40m they can be kind of annoying to breathe due to the servo-assisted mechanism.

Actually, I couldn't disagree more. After having them in the water now, I freaking LOVE they way they breathe. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

The lion's share of those complaints about Poseidon's breathing, stem from equipment having been poorly tuned, which also extends to those "annoying" claims above 40 meters. An incompetent mechanic can even make a Maserati run like an old Pinto, spinning on Firestone 500s. I have worked on my own rigs for years now and encourage you to eventually do the same. Decent techs of any ilk are notoriously hard to find; and Poseidons have posed a particular challenge for many of them; though I truly cannot fathom why.

I have also used the Xstreams, since their inception; and they are quite simple to service -- the second, simply being a pared-down version of the Jetstream (its valve is virtually identical). They are also extremely adjustable, in terms of cracking pressure. to suit the taste of any given diver . . .

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I have found that, like most of Poseidon's products, that it comes down to a personal philosophy. If you like the way they breathe, you will love the way they breathe. If not, you will hate them. There really is no middle ground to their regs and CCR etc.

As far as servicing goes, Peter at Poseidon is the factory trainer for Europe/MENA etc. I can check with him when he will be in Italy again, maybe you can get onto a service tech course he is running. If you are mechanically minded, the course is pretty simple, especially the XStream. The Cyklons have a couple of unique quirks, the service course spends a fair bit of time on them.

If you do the course in North America, you will need to renew every two years as that is the policy the Poseidon distributors have. If you do the course in Europe, then the certificate will have no expiry date on it.

If you do the course in North America, you will need to renew every two years as that is the policy the Poseidon distributors have. If you do the course in Europe, then the certificate will have no expiry date on it.

In the States, it has become every three years . . .

where is there a service course in the us? who can you contact for that?

where is there a service course in the us? who can you contact for that?
Salt Blue. You could book the service class directly on their website last time I checked. My understanding however, after having inquired (I haven't yet taken this class but was considering it), is that you will not be servicing your or an actual regulator, but rather disassemble and reassemble/tune a dummy reg (or regs) that will be mailed to you in advance of the class along with some required (or nice to have) tools for the job.

When testing the Xstream, did you try breathing with it in a vertical/looking upward position? If so, did the breathing still stay dry?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom