On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
have just spent 3 weeks diving all over (that is east side, west coast, south & north), and never once did I encounter any type of problem at any of the dive sites I visited.

Can we qualify this please?

a)Did you have the windows rolled up and locked?

b)Did you leave the windows rolled down, truck unlocked and nothing of value in it?

Let's tell it like it is just 1 time, okay?

You spent 3 weeks making sure you left the truck unlocked and nothing of value ever was ever left in it and you didn't have an 'incident'.

That is certainly something to herald.

Don't paint me as bashing Bonaire, but the whole white wash is ridiculous. You spent 3 weeks following the precautions that you have to follow in Bonaire because of the crime and you managed for nothing to happen.:shakehead:

If Bonaire were Texas, everyone would be armed to the teeth and the strict no-gloves policy would be altered to merely restricting dynamite fishing to daylight hours.

Now you know we don't dynamite fish here in Texas. Hell, we just throw the power cables in the water and give them the juice. (Parks and Wildlife has the permit to do this when conducting fish counts)

Vince,

I just looked through today's posts on Bonaire Talk regarding this thread. Being an insurance agent, you should have a fair understanding of agency law. Rick is bringing up the same concerns that I have with Sunbelt's violations of their fiduciary duties. I only have, 6 hours in international law, but there are legal themes that are pretty consistent in western cultures and fiduciary trust is one of them.

Once again, no love for Rick and all is right on Bonaire.

Lets just keep this thread about the specifics of how a lease was handled on Bonaire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we qualify this please?

a)Did you have the windows rolled up and locked?

b)Did you leave the windows rolled down, truck unlocked and nothing of value in it?

Let's tell it like it is just 1 time, okay?

You spent 3 weeks making sure you left the truck unlocked and nothing of value ever was ever left in it and you didn't have an 'incident'.

That is certainly something to herald.

Don't paint me as bashing Bonaire, but the whole white wash is ridiculous. You spent 3 weeks following the precautions that you have to follow in Bonaire because of the crime and you managed for nothing to happen.:shakehead:

Whitewash? That's absolutely ridiculous. Ever hear of the saying "When in Rome do as the Romans do"? To specifically answer your questions..
a.: NO..
b.: YES
This is the standard advice that has been repeated ad nauseum. I recommend all visitors at dive sites follow it.

Vince,

I just looked through today's posts on Bonaire Talk regarding this thread. Being an insurance agent, you should have a fair understanding of agency law. Rick is bringing up the same concerns that I have with Sunbelt's violations of their fiduciary duties. I only have, 6 hours in international law, but there are legal themes that are pretty consistent in western cultures and fiduciary trust is one of them.

Once again, no love for Rick and all is right on Bonaire.

Lets just keep this thread about the specifics of how a lease was handled on Bonaire.

Firstly whoever said I was an insurance agent? Answer..I'm not (However I DO have a fiduciary obligation to my clients).

I do understand insurance law being involved with it for some 35 years of my ongoing insurance/risk managment career. I suggest you review the concept of agency and who they are obligated to protect and represent once an agency relationship is established.

In essence, insurance agents can bind their principal to a contract & legally represent them. They represent the principal NOT their insured. The same way a real estate agent represents the seller, not the buyer (that's why god created brokers).

If you hire a property firm to manage your property than the owner of the property is the principal, NOT the lessee. Additionally, the agent has the legal and fiduciary obligation to protect the principal. It seems to me they have done so. If you disagree with this (since you have explicitly stated so), than that's an issue of law to be tried by their court system.

This is the standard advice that has been repeated ad nauseum. I recommend all visitors at dive sites follow it.

Sounds like the OP from bonairetalk should have left his rental apparment unlocked the windows opened and kept nothing of value inside.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: yeah, it was all the victims fault.

Sounds like the OP from bonairetalk should have left his rental apparment unlocked the windows opened and kept nothing of value inside.

Duh..... I believe we were talking about rental trucks at divesites NOT rental apparment (sic) being unlocked.:confused:

Well, in addition to Spare Air, snorkels and split fins, I guess we can now officially add Bonaire to the list of contentious topics on Scubaboard.

This is kind of like watching a game of pong.

Pilot Fish, your turn.

Last edited:
Diver Vince, you are very, very sure that breakins in rental condos is the exception on Bonaire, not the general rule. I even think you referred to this crime as petty. Fine. You also think it is so rare as to not be much of a concern. Fine. Are you willing to reimburse your rental tenants for all losses, in full, that they incur, that lock all doors and lock all windows when they go out and suffer a breakin? Are you that sure and confident that you would extend that cioverage to tenants that rent your condo?

OK, who wants to bet one of two things will happen?: Diver Vince will not respond to this but will have a string of other people respond do it for him, or he will respond and say it is up to the tenant to have thier own coverage? hey, if it's so rare, and the chances of it happening so minute, go for it, extend that protection, DV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom