On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally work was completed! Very exciting. We came home the next Friday to find out that we had been broken into. 13,000 USD of our own personal belongings stolen, yet not one item of the owners. The thief's even had to move the TV and small stereo to unhook my gaming/blu ray system which was larger and less expensive than the stereo. When we made the contract with Sunbelt Realty and the owner we were informed that the house would have insurance. However not that that insurance would not cover any items we brought into the house. We requested a meeting with the owner (who refused) and Sunbelt to see what options we had. We didn't even receive a condolence from the owner and only on threats of leaving was an alarm system finally put in.

KInd of makes you wonder why the thefts were so selective and did not take any of the owners stuff? duh. Like, how did they know? :shakehead: When are divers going to learn that Bonaire is a den of thieves that prey on divers?

Diver Vince is too busy spreading pixie dust. You've heard the expression, if you are not part of the solution, you could be part of the problem?

I ran into this thread on bonairetalk. It stuck me that Vince, who is so supportive of Bonaire, gave the OP no love while praising Sunbelt Realty.

Bonaire Talk: Worst Renting Experience Ever! - Sunbelt Realty

After reading that link, and after hearing many many other horror stories of crime victims on Bonaire, if you rent or buy a place on Bonaire ,you have no one to blame but yourself if you become a crime victim. What a disgrace!:shocked2:

Perceived in justice? What? Are you kidding? When are you going to put aside your own self interests and view the situation on Bonaire honestly?

Rick.. I was much appalled at reading this. Personally I have the highest confidence in the staff at Sunbelt and have worked very closely with them over the last 2 years. Additionally I personally know the owners and their entire rental staff and neither I nor any of our renters has ever had a bad word to say about them. We have only received the highest compliments from our guests about them.

Sorry for your ordeal or your perceived injustice. However I CAN tell you having worked in the insurance biz for over 30 years, that the essential element for first party coverage is that there must be an insurable interest.
The insurance policy for contents coverage covered the owner NOT you as the renter. This concept is basic insurance law in the U.S. and you really should be aware of it. My advice talk to your insurance broker, perhaps you may have a claim against your homeowners policy.

I've read several positive trip reports/comments from Bonaire first-timers in the past week or two. You can read them too since they're posted right in this forum. None of them mentioned they were victimized by any crime. Do you believe Vince forged all of those, since it doesn't make sense that anyone could travel to this crime-ridden hellhole as you make it out to be without getting robbed, shot, or killed? Or rather, did these first-timers view the situation on Bonaire honestly by having such a great time on the island that they were eager to share their experience with others?

What is the ratio of victimized to un-victimized tourists anyway? There's no way it's as high as 1 in 100. Maybe 1 in 1,000? Even if it were as high as 1 in 100, which it's not even during these occasional "crime sprees" when multiple burglaries occur over a few days, that would still mean a 99% chance of going crime-free. Plenty of people risk preganancy using contraceptives with similar odds. I've had some dives and some meals on Bonaire that were better than some sex I've had, and the downside of having replaceable insurable personal property stolen from me versus being saddled with a smelly noisy infant for 18 years is a no-brainer. If you can chance sex, Bonaire is relatively a no-risk proposition.

PF..I see your back again speading your usual vermin. Some things just never change I guess.

Well I can tell you for a fact, that I am still on Bonaire as I type this, have just spent 3 weeks diving all over (that is east side, west coast, south & north), and never once did I encounter any type of problem at any of the dive sites I visited. So "thems are the facts". Now before you are tempted to start twisting things with your perverse reasoning, these are my PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.

HOWEVER, I did meet quite a few friendly folks who love Bonaire as I do and can't wait to return. Many of them have even paid us a friendly visit at VINIBU! And the weather & diving have been FANTASTIC. Can't wait to return in another 4 months. :D

I ran into this thread on bonairetalk. It stuck me that Vince, who is so supportive of Bonaire, gave the OP no love while praising Sunbelt Realty.

Bonaire Talk: Worst Renting Experience Ever! - Sunbelt Realty

Well Driftwood you are absolutely correct on this! And, I stand by every word I typed. I know these folks and have had many many business dealings with them for over 5 years. I have received numerous stellar remarks from all our guests. I found the posting to be really vindictive and then when called on this, he indicated
"The purpose of this post was not to necessarily badmouth Sunbelt Realty"..You betcha. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom