OMS single dive setup. What parts to get???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... if you're looking for a serious answer, ScubaBoard isn't the place to ask.

Try Spearboard ... or someplace where you can talk to people who dive in the same environment you do.

All you're gonna get here is a bunch of cavers giving you crap ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's as good of advice as sending an alcoholic to a bar so they won't get judged. :shakehead:

Try Spearboard ... or someplace where you can talk to people who dive in the same environment you do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

God forbid we don't condone 200ft single tank spearfishing on air...

That's as good of advice as sending an alcoholic to a bar so they won't get judged. :shakehead:

Sure ... you're right ... people who do deep ocean dives should prepare, plan and dive exactly like people who dive in caves ... after all, there's only one "right" way to do anything.

At least, when all you've ever been exposed to is one environment ... and one perspective on diving in that environment ... that's how it seems.

I understand your perspective completely.

Mine is that since you're not qualified to answer the man's question, you should perhaps consider letting someone else do it. Ridiculing him ... with your limited experience ... only makes you look like the sort of person who gives your particular style of diving a bad odor.

Why are so many young men still trying to emulate someone who isn't even diving anymore?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

God forbid we don't condone 200ft single tank spearfishing on air...

Nobody said you have to condone anything ... but there's a right way and a wrong way to answer a question.

Ridicule is not a very effective way to educate people ... :no:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am getting more into the tech setups for diving now due to the industrial strength materials and lack of failure points. I spearfish and the chance for $hit to go wrong is high. I had my quick release harness straps on my BC come off in 200 fsw which is no fun when a 70lb AJ is on the end of the speargun. I need a setup for a single tank. I will be using up to a 133 HP steel cylinder. I was going to get a Halcyon dive setup at my LDS, but it seems I can piece it together much cheaper online. Maybe I am wrong, but after researching on what i need, if I can save some money, it would be nice. Not sure which bladder, backplate, pockets, weight pockets and harness to get. Anything I need??? I am new to the backplate wing setups, so any advice is appreciated.

BTW, my diving is deepwater ocean and wreck diving.

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

Before you consider buying more gear, perhaps you should reevaluate the type of diving you're doing. Diving deep (>100ft) with a single tank is largely regarded as being unsafe. On top of that, diving air to the depths you stated is unsafe as well. What you really need to do these dives is not just gear, but proper training. If you would like more information, feel free to ask questions!

Cheers,
AJ

Bob, is that better?

Sure ... you're right ... people who do deep ocean dives should prepare, plan and dive exactly like people who dive in caves ... after all, there's only one "right" way to do anything.

At least, when all you've ever been exposed to is one environment ... and one perspective on diving in that environment ... that's how it seems.

I understand your perspective completely.

Mine is that since you're not qualified to answer the man's question, you should perhaps consider letting someone else do it. Ridiculing him ... with your limited experience ... only makes you look like the sort of person who gives your particular style of diving a bad odor.

Why are so many young men still trying to emulate someone who isn't even diving anymore?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
The fact is, single tank spearfishing bends a TON of divers every year as it doesn't have enough gas to handle any sort of distraction effectively. This is artificially inflating the cost of DAN insurance when they foot the bill, and creates a safety risk for all of us when the understaffed DCS chambers are occupied and/or don't have technicians who can run them because they've already "been down" with a patient recently.

I had a friend take a neurological hit at Indian Springs (>150ft dive) who had to be air lifted 3 hours because the chambers were full. That could have caused brain damage. Let's try to not forget that we don't live in a world where our actions don't effect others.

Wow, didnt realized how many cool guys were on this board. If i wanted a lecture, i would have paid for it. All i asked about was ballasting my equation, nothing more.

The fact is, single tank spearfishing bends a TON of divers every year as it doesn't have enough gas to handle any sort of distraction effectively. This is artificially inflating the cost of DAN insurance when they foot the bill, and creates a safety risk for all of us when the understaffed DCS chambers are occupied and/or don't have technicians who can run them because they've already "been down" with a patient recently.

I had a friend take a neurological hit at Indian Springs (>150ft dive) who had to be air lifted 3 hours because the chambers were full. That could have caused brain damage. Let's try to not forget that we don't live in a world where our actions don't effect others.

Well if I die at least I will have the satisfaction of uping YOUR bill. :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess if I wanted to jerk off in an underwater cave somewhere this would be the place to ask. Or taking super sweet macro pics of gobies with a $20k camera while diving Trimix 100fsw!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom