OMS K2 light any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is extremely bright for its size, which is tiny (too small for me but I'm a big guy). It uses cr123 lithium batteries which are fairly expensive. Overall it is a good backup light, but only a backup light.

It is extremely bright for its size, which is tiny (too small for me but I'm a big guy). It uses cr123 lithium batteries which are fairly expensive. Overall it is a good backup light, but only a backup light.

why is it only good as a backup. i plan on using this as a primary

Not sure if you are looking at the k2 headlamp or the k2 vega Underwater Dive Lights & Strobes http://www.OMSdive.com , either way, headmounted lights are not nearly as good an idea as they might seem at first. Backscatter will often impair your own vision and your beam will blind your buddy if you look them in the eye, so I consider headlamps to be appropriate only as a worklight on land.

The vega k2 hand held, like I said in my first post is small enough to be awkward to grip unless you are tiny (one of my regular buddies is barely 5 feet tall and 95 pounds and she likes her vega backup). The burn duration, while pretty good for such a small light is not very long, and the batteries (cr 123a lithium) are substantially more expensive than regular c, d, or aa size.

I highly recommend something rechargeable as a primary.

I own the standard Vega which is listed as 80 lumens, for rec diving in clear water it is fine to use as an primary, burn time is 3hours. The olny down side to using this light as a primary IMO is the narrowness of the beem, more spot than flood, so the actual area being lit up is small. The batteries are great as they have a shelf life of 10 years so ideal batteries for a back up. If you can get the batteries at a reasonable cost, which you apparently can over the net, then Id say go for it other wise you may want to look at something that uses a lower cost battery, Raider 1, Dorcy, Scubapro Phad 4 for example, these light vary is price but are all reasonable given the output which for their size is good.

I own the standard Vega which is listed as 80 lumens, for rec diving in clear water it is fine to use as an primary, burn time is 3hours. The olny down side to using this light as a primary IMO is the narrowness of the beam, more spot than flood, so the actual area being lit up is small. The batteries are great as they have a shelf life of 10 years so ideal batteries for a back up. If you can get the batteries at a reasonable cost, which you apparently can over the net, then Id say go for it other wise you may want to look at something that uses a lower cost battery, Raider 1, Dorcy, Scubapro Phad 4 for example, these lights vary is price but are all reasonable given the output which for their size is good.

not sure whats going on? read the shaded part as is my post. Cheers

I love mine, as a backup. My only gripe is that I can't seem to fit two pieces of cave line through the hole on the end of the light. I've been too lazy to break out the drill.

I used the K2 headmount lamp as a primary before I got my canister light, and I can say that's definately a bright, awesome little light..

The batteries are expensive, so either find a good source to buy in bulk, or get rechargeable CR123a's..

I preferred to use the soft goodman style handle that comes with it, usually around my wrist on my glove, in front of the dry glove ring on my drysuit... (I did use the headstrap, but only while working on my Jeep, not in the water)

A neat trick is that you can turn it on on land, then rotate the on-off knob just enough to turn it off... When you get into the water, and a few feet down, the water pressure pushing on the end cap will turn it on again.. A handy feature if you don't want to fiddle with it in cold water with thick gloves.

I love mine, as a backup. My only gripe is that I can't seem to fit two pieces of cave line through the hole on the end of the light. I've been too lazy to break out the drill.

#24 cave line works fine.

Couldnt help myself had to get a new K2, looks nice in black although I suspect it wont last as well as my silver Vega. Side by side the K2, not unexpectedly, is brighter than the standard Vega but not by a lot (that I can tell). A nice little light.

Back
Top Bottom