OMS IQ VS Halcyon Poineer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBARACER

Reaction score
Ok, I am in a bit of a rut here, and it's come down to 2 BP/W Setups...

Who has tried em, and which would you prefer?

OMS is going to run me about 800, and the Halcyon about 550

So opinions please :)

I am mainly a rec diver, but looking to quit the drag racing sport, and sink my dinero in to more dive trips/gear...

So which ones?

:)

If you did a search on backplate, you would probably find a thousand posts about Halcyon and one about OMS.
You might ask why the OMS is worth $250 more?
You might read some of the threads here about each.

I have used both. I now use my own customized set up. Deep Outdoors plate and harness with a Halcyon bladder and OMS single tank adapter. I also use Diverite weight pockets on it. Instead of Halcyons DIR I call it DIM or doing it Mike. I prefer the unbungied bladder as there is less air being trapped in areas of the bladder. The DIR system does make sense but you can customize your BC to your needs. I would not recommend the Halcyon Plate as I find it uncomfortable because it uses a single piece of webbing. I love my Deep Outdoors harness and SS plate. You may want to check out what they have to offer. You could design your own system using various manufacturers parts. Just some thoughts on the subject good luck...

I just went OMS BP and Harness and Oxcheq 45# Wing and Oxtcheq STA. So far I am very happy with the quality and fit of both.

DIR don't like the OMS Delux Harness... but hey I do...

Very happy and impressed at the ease of mix and match.

Get the Halcyon. It is a far better setup and it's cheaper too. I have two Halcyon setups and have had zero problems with them. With the money you saved, you could pay for most of a new reg. The IQ vs. Halcyon topic has been discussed before if you want to do a search.

I started tech in an OMS IQ Pack and pretty quickly switched to a Halcyon setup. I find the Halcyon rig to be less complicated and more comfortable. That it's also less expensive is nice. The Oxycheq setup looks to be very nice as well - I can say only good things about their products.

If you're looking for a used IQ Pack you could try Rich @ Adventure Scuba, 775.826.5333. I believe he's looking for a new home for his.

Mechdiver wrote:
If you did a search on backplate, you would probably find a thousand posts about Halcyon and one about OMS.

Yeah, but that's just plain status anxiety.

steven

If you dive in the northeast the OMS is for you. If you dive in the south east, then Halcyon is the way to go.
But serously, IMHO:
The bungees on the OMS trap air in the crunched-up parts of the bladder, it's hard to dump it completely.
You can rig you backplate either multiple straps or continious straps - your choice. I prefer continious
I despite the nay-say regarding shoulder quick disconnects - I've never seen one break. I've tested them by dropping a tank on one, and it didn't break. Though I bet the DIR guys managed to break one, DIR says no to quick disconnects.
I own OMS, and am going to buy a new rig soon, probably Halcyon. I am going to follow the DIR principals - as much as is realistic to me.
I suggest you read over their philosopy before making a decision. They have some interesting ideas around equipment selection.

I'm just going with whats comfy, and will last.

I am not a DIR diver, and I might catch slack for having this BC, and not being a DIR diver.. but what the hell..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom