OMS Double Bladder Wing and Harness Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vicko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got gifted an old OMS Bungeed Wing of Death with the definitely not DIR harness and backplate. The bungee was brittle so I threw them out,it's the 90 lbs version so I think I need to put new bungees on, while pretending to be Batman sound cool, I don't think that my buddy will be impressed with the cape. Bungee metal rings are a bit corroded but other then that it looks good. Both bladders look good, I changed all the o-rings on dump valves and inflators, the inflators work well without obvious problems. The "harness" looks to be in good shape, not frayed or stiff, all the d-rings and buckles look good, the backplate is corroded aluminium, I'm guessing it's a good idea to get a new one and I'll be going for steel.
As I never serviced a wing before is there anything else I need to check/fix before I get snaged in open water?

make sure it holds air and that's about it. Do a positive pressure test on each bladder separately and if it holds air for a long period of time, then it should be good to go. Not much to "service"

It's nice to get gifts, it's really nice to get gifts that are useful. I don't think this is really nice.

If there's a reason you want to dive with a 90 lb wing, I'd be curious about it.

It's nice to get gifts, it's really nice to get gifts that are useful. I don't think this is really nice.

If there's a reason you want to dive with a 90 lb wing, I'd be curious about it.

You never know, maybe one day I decide to do a dive to 100 meters with 5 stages, in a wetsuit, and I find a 20 kilos anchor on the bottom, and I don't have a Padi lift bag operator cert.
At this point it would be rude to sell it (and who would buy it?), i'll probably do a dive and then toss it in with the rest of the gear I will never use.

Have been diving with similar one(55-60lbs) for many yrs. The only replacement that I needed was the bungee otherwise nothing whatsoever. There wasn't any recall about its power inflator or dump valve unlike certain "H" brand.

Back
Top Bottom