OMS/Dive-Rite/Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerryg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a new wing. My current wing is an OMS bungied 95lb lift (no comments necessary). I am diving two different environments. Warm water with nothing but a dive skin/3mm shortie and 11 lbs on my weight belt, and the Great Lakes with 7mm FJ, hood and gloves, and 23 lbs on my weight belt. I only dive a single AL80 tank. I would really llike to find a wing with enough lift to crossover into both dive environments, and still provide a nice slip stream in the water. I looks like anything in the 30 lb range would fulfill my requirements. I've researched this site and found tons of info on the Halcyon products, but very little on the OMS 32 lb lift bag. My questions:
1) Is there a problem from the DIR perspective with the OMS wing,
2) Is the Halcyon Pioneer wing significantly better than the Eclipse.
3) Are the Halcyon wings superior to the OMS wings
The costs of these bags are significantly different
32 OMS BC116-S-32B LeisurePro 234.95 Single
30 Dive-Rite BC2071 divebooty.com 268 Single
30 Dive-Rite BC2077 divesports.com 299 Single
30 Halcyon Eclipse extreme-exposure.com 385 single
40 Halcyon Eclipse extreme-exposure.com 385 single
27 Halcyon Pioneer aquasafaris.com 298 single
36 Halcyon Pioneer aquasafaris.com 298 single

1) From a DIR perspective, the problems with the OMS wing are the long inflator and the pull dump.
2) The Eclipse and Pioneer will function similarly in the water. The difference is that the Eclipse requires an STA where the Pioneer does not, and the Eclipse has a dual-bladder construction like your big OMS wing, whereas the Pioneer is only a single layer of urethane-coated nylon.
3) Depends on what you mean by superior. From a DIR perspective they are because they are "right" out of the box without having to modify the inflator.

I think you'd be doing OK if you got the OMS wing and replaced the inflator, but then you're close to the price of a Halcyon. Personally I would go to COVCI.com and pay $260 for the immediately-DIR Oxycheq 45# wing (very much like the Pioneer), or if I had the money $305 for the Oxycheq Signature Series 44# wing (very much like the Eclipse).

I sold all my Oxycheq wings (I had three!).. they initially had incorrect length inflator and corrugated hoses (just like OMS), which sucked, so I had to spend extra $ to get those replaced... Now, I understand that Patrick (Oxycheq) fixed the hose lengths. However, I still don't like those soft round corrugated hoses,... but that's just a personal preference at this point. I used to have a lot of OMS products and also sold all of them. don't like the quality nor the service. I don't know much abotu Dive Rite., but their wings never really looked appealing to me either.

<hijack>
Just a plug for my stuff for sale: I have a 36# Pioneer wing for sale that is like new for about $100 cheaper than you stated. PM me if you're interested.
</hijack>

Dive-Rite single tank wing (Venture http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/img/bc2077lg.jpg) has lower dump on the wrong side of the wing, so it's definitely not DIR.

Also, all Dive-Rite wings by default have pull dump valve on corrugated hose an too long corrugated hose. However, you can order shorted hose and plain elbow when ordering wing (I believe with no additional cost).

I have a Pioneer and love it. Wouldn't dive any other wing for singles.

scubajcf:
Has anyone used the Apeks Tech Gear???
I understand dual bladder to come in Q206
Dual bladder isn't DIR. BTW I don't understand D-ring on Apeks single tank wing.

Have not dove it either. Just looking around and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it.

scubajcf:
Have not dove it either. Just looking around and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it.

I'm afraid they are not going to be something that would be interest me. We had 'em in the shop last week. Did you miss that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom