OMS/Dive-Rite/Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
Dual bladder isn't DIR. BTW I don't understand D-ring on Apeks single tank wing.

The intent was to create a kind of saddle for the bottom of the tank to ride in when the wing is fully inflated.... Nice thought.. but useless in reality. With a potential to limit communication of the right and left cells when wing is inflated properly at depth.

jonnythan:
1) From a DIR perspective, the problems with the OMS wing are the long inflator and the pull dump.

I might be wrong here but, I'm pretty sure that the OMS single wing has a shorter corrugated hose now... at least the one I've played with does. What's wrong with the pull dump? You can take the little thingy off the chord. Oh...maybe you're talkin' about a pull dump on the inflator? Again, the one I know doesn't have a pull dump inflator hose... just a standard elbow. I'm pretty sure that it's up to snuff right out of the box...well... I don't know if it has a low rate inflator. But other than that it seems O.K.

I'd look at the Halcyon Eclipse real seriously. The design of the bladder is superior to the Pioneer when you get above the 27# version. In building the larger Pioneers they have to mesh together alot of material at 4 significant points (the panal that allows the bladder to expand to allow for enough air volume to create the larger capacity lifts) these points have historically been week in the Pioneer I've had about 15 out of about 60 fail. Halcyon is outstanding and ALWAY makes it right.... but it's still a bit of a drag. This problem is completely eleminated in the Eclipse. On top of this the larger Eclipse wings allow better communication from side to side when minimul air is in the wing at depth.

The Oxycheqe wing (when talking Pioneer 'style') does a better job of communication (air distribution) at depth when minimal air is in the wing due to the fact that the panels that allow the wing to expand are on the inside of the donut as opposed to the Halcyon or Apex who have put the panels on the outside of the donut.

My choice would be the Eclipse due to the bladder in a bag design. I'd choose the 30# lift minimum... if it's a bit to much sometimes.. who cares it is not a significant increase in drag... If I had to choose a Pioneer 'style' wing I'd go with the Oxycheqe..
personal opinion... JM2C... thats really about all its worth.

I have the pionner 45lbs for diving up in the great lakes and 7mm farmer J with 25lbs. wing = out the air evenly with good boyance. its a lot hard to get us to the pull dump not having a bulb on the string. when your wearing a thick glove..

Captain CaveMan:
its a lot hard to get us to the pull dump not having a bulb on the string. when your wearing a thick glove..
Change the string to a thicker one.

MonkSeal:
Dive-Rite single tank wing (Venture http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/img/bc2077lg.jpg) has lower dump on the wrong side of the wing, so it's definitely not DIR.

Also, all Dive-Rite wings by default have pull dump valve on corrugated hose an too long corrugated hose. However, you can order shorted hose and plain elbow when ordering wing (I believe with no additional cost).

I was just looking at a new Venture wing at the shop. The lower dump is on the same side as the Halcyons. It also has a plain elbow although the corrugated hose does seem longer.

Matthew:
I was just looking at a new Venture wing at the shop. The lower dump is on the same side as the Halcyons. It also has a plain elbow although the corrugated hose does seem longer.
From this picture it seems that they re-designed the inflator - previously the button was at the opposite side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom