Omniswivel Gas Switch Block for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dives4Fun

Registered
Reaction score
The UK has tested the OmniSwivel Gas switch block for diving and found it does not meet regulations in the UK for PPE gear and recommends users stop using it and contact vendor. The testing found the block restricts gas flow to the diver which causes a serious risk of asphyxiation.

Effective Date: Jan 21, 2022 and published March 27, 2022

I have been unable to find out if the V2 version of the Omniswivel Switch Block is included in this recall or not.

This recall, due to a risk of asphyxiation is a new one to me -- having had OmniSwivel manifolds for some years for full face mask use; and the specific UK issue with the blocks remains a bit of a mystery, since their sole purpose, ostensibly, is to "restrict gas" from one air source and switch to another -- so, a proscription on the use of a product for doing its intended job?

They are dirt simple in construction; can take a ridiculous amount of punishment; and I can only assume that the issue is somehow linked to potential user error; but the switch itself -- its onlt moving part -- cannot be accidentally or easily thrown -- and most of us who use them have clearly labeled each port.

A recent chat with DGX:

"I've now spoken with OmniSwivel and they are aware of the issue in the UK. Robin at OmniSwivel is working on a statement, I can't speak for them but the bottom line is they don't believe there is an issue with usage of the product and that the HSE notice is related to UKCA testing standards and methodology. The GSB has been used for decades without any incidents of which they are aware . . ."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 11.20.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 11.20.08 AM.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: OTF
I still cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone, including Omniswivel, regarding the UK and continental Europe's recall of their gas manifold, a product of which I have owned three, over the years, and have used on innumerable occasions, even under somewhat nasty conditions, without ever a hitch.

A friend with whom I had been diving since high school, took up firefighting as a career after the military, also had a number of manifolds and no complaints, since they were also common to that industry; and suggested that maybe some quick release adaptors could have posed the problem, since he had mentioned that some he had used, had allowed for better air flow than some others had, that were similar in appearance to schrader valves.

I have never used any QD equipment from Omniswivel or others -- nor had he for diving, and preferred that everything to be wrenched together on site.

I recently rebuilt and just tested one of the 2012 manifolds, which hadn’t received maintenance, since around 2018 or so, just to have something to do, during our recent stint of poor visibility, rather than having faced any performance issue.

Aside from about fifteen o-rings and a plethora of grease (the old manual had mentioned the use of a "gracious amount of lube," on the crankshaft, if I recall), the device is dirt simple; and I just cannot fathom the current issue, nor can many European friends who have sworn by them for years . . .

Attachments

• DCA41619-EE57-4336-BAFE-722301C0A6E3.jpeg
    DCA41619-EE57-4336-BAFE-722301C0A6E3.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 140
I could be wrong but I suspect that the issue might be that technically there is an "off" position between the two gas flow positions - if you only rotate the lever 90 degrees instead of the full 180 then it feels like a detent position but there is no gas flow.

I could be wrong but I suspect that the issue might be that technically there is an "off" position between the two gas flow positions - if you only rotate the lever 90 degrees instead of the full 180 then it feels like a detent position but there is no gas flow.
That still makes little sense -- there are any number of dedicated shut-off valves associated with hoses that don't receive that same scrutiny, and which are far more of a drag to manipulate with heavy gloves, than the Omniswivel gas manifold knob, which can be switched from one tank to another, in the course of the same breath . . .

That still makes little sense -- there are any number of dedicated shut-off valves associated with hoses that don't receive that same scrutiny, and which are far more of a drag to manipulate with heavy gloves, than the Omniswivel gas manifold knob, which can be switched from one tank to another, in the course of the same breath . . .
HSE examined a lot of switchblocks at the same time - Omniswivel wasn't the only one that they weren't happy with.

OK I've gotten to the bottom of this I think. Someone in the UK built a new switchblock and had it tested/certified etc to the EN 250:2014 standard which is the appropriate standard for these items. They then lodged a complaint with the HSE in the UK saying that there were other switchblocks both for sale and in common use that haven't been tested/certified to EN250:2014 and the HSE investigated and basically determined that these included the Omniswivel and the Ocean Reef switchblocks which led to the manufacturers being forced to issue recall notices for these products in the EU as certification of these sort of products is compulsory before they can be sold in the EU and they hadn't been tested/certified.

So, has Omniswivel finally shuffled off its dreaded asphyxiating, death-trap reputation, with their V2 gas manifold?

I only ask because I've been a charter member of the walking dead for close to twenty years . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 3.12.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 3.12.01 PM.png
    380 KB · Views: 100
So, has Omniswivel finally shuffled off its dreaded asphyxiating, death-trap reputation, with their V2 gas manifold?

I only ask because I've been a charter member of the walking dead for close to twenty years . . .
Interesting! Being able to switch from L to R and vice versa is a nice feature on the new model

I recently picked up one of the new Omniswivel V2 manifolds, for an old friend in the UK, who now has limited use of one hand from arthritis and wanted that option of a left or right mount.

The V2 is superficially the same, still solid at about 600 grams, with the recent addition of a second set of mounting holes on the opposite side for the bracket, along with some updated engraving, including its recently expanded c.v. with EN250-2014 approval and various CE and UK CA markings.

I partially disassembled it, just to see what type of goop they were using this time around -- either Cristolube or Tribolube-71; couldn't quite tell the difference -- but, apparently, all O2-compatible.

At my friend's request, I took it out for a bit of a shakedown dive with a full face mask, a 100 cubic foot tank, along with a 23 c.f. pony, and futzed with using either air source -- all effortless.

While older models felt like you were throwing a switch between a primary; a middle, so-called "off" setting, and a second tank, the V2 operates more like a dimmer. There is no longer any discreet mid-way point.

A plus-side to that change, aside from EN250 approval as its likely outcome, may be further prevention from incidental damage, should the manifold ever be accidentally pressurized while it was in that former "off" position -- which, according to my old manual, could damage the seals.

What I really miss, though, is that audible click, midway, when switching between air supplies. With the full face mask and its all-too limited peripheral vision, I could never clearly see what I was doing, in terms of manifold use, which was always done by feel, since it had been mounted on a carabiner on my BC and mostly obscured from my view.

A friend, who had mounted the manifolds on his FFM rail system, for years, really dislikes the new model, for that same reason . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpeg
    IMG_3404.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3403.jpeg
    IMG_3403.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3402.jpeg
    IMG_3402.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg