OMG! 403 lb Warsaw Speared in Gulf of Mexico!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightning Fish:
Thanks. Also from http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/cda/article_print/0,1983,TCP_1062_3838306_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

"Without a powerhead, the only way to prevent a struggle is to hit the fish directly behind the gills. That kills it or paralyzes it. About one in four shots is a kill-shot. Other shots stick in the fish but do not kill it."

Bill.

I wouldn't use this article as much of an authority on spearfishing. It uses the term "angler" repeatedly, which is not synonymous with all fisherman, but rather the ones that uses bait and a hook. (The editors at the St Pete Times just made that same mistake in my column last week.)

Stone or paralyzing shots can be far back on the spine as well, or even from an angle in front of the fish, although much more rare.

Frequency of spinal or lateral line "stone" shots can be much higher or lower depending on so many factors... experience, range, shaft speed, prey type and wariness.

Powerheads often do not kill a fish, if not shot in the right spot. They can and do fail to fire frequently, and weight or slow a shot by a large amount.

I'd highly recommend heading over to www.spearboard.com for the straight skinny on this trophy, from Head Hunter and his team.

Chad

Dan (HH) got grabbed by the knee by a 500 lbs Goliath last year, during a cobia hunt on a deep spring. After getting shaken like a rag by a dog he loaded a Russian PH and blew it to Hell! (www.sptimes.com and archive search for Dan MacMahon.)

He did use a PH to be sure it was done. But he put 2 freeshafts in it first & it wasn't moving much. Might've been OK without the PH, but at that depth I don't blame him in the least for not taking any chances on that.

Hank49:
Huevos the size of coconuts on that gentleman.
You're not kidding. Someone on TDS was saying something to the effect of "big deal. he shot a dumb fish who posed for him." You hafta laugh at that..

jonnythan:
Someone on TDS was saying something to the effect of "big deal. he shot a dumb fish who posed for him." You hafta laugh at that..

Any time someone does something "out of the ordinary" there will be "haters". It never fails.

I personally would rather hear the tale of a trip to 425' to shoot a 400+ lb fish than one of a guy blowing up a scuba tank - but that's just me... :wink:

Hank49:
Which makes shooting that giant fish even more amazing. You could kill a grizzly bear with a 38 if you hit him in the right spot.....but if you don't.... Even after a stone shot a fish will quiver a little most of the time. When this one quivered.....it shook the reef. The title of the post on Spearboard was "do I shoot, or run"? I think I would have run. Huevos the size of coconuts on that gentleman.

But run to where? And be able to out run the fish? I think that is key, being able to maintain your focus and and get a good shot off without filling your shorts.

Hank49:
You could kill a grizzly bear with a 38 if you hit him in the right spot.....but if you don't....

Where I grew up (and years after I left), there was a young kid (13 years perhaps) who dropped a charging grizzly with a small rifle, bigger than a 22 but one certainly not meant for grizzlies. He was out hunting with his Dad and a couple others and they surprised a grizzly feeding on an elk carcass. He hit it in the magic spot, otherwise he and his party would probably all be dead. My memory is foggy on the details, but it was one of these rare jaw droppers.

Bill.

Chad Carney:
I wouldn't use this article as much of an authority on spearfishing. It uses the term "angler" repeatedly, which is not synonymous with all fisherman, but rather the ones that uses bait and a hook. (The editors at the St Pete Times just made that same mistake in my column last week.)

I'd highly recommend heading over to www.spearboard.com for the straight skinny on this trophy, from Head Hunter and his team.

Thanks, I'm no authority on spearfishing (was it obvious?) and wasn't sure about the article. But it did give me a bit of what I was looking for. I have been over to spearboard to read Head Hunters report and.... well, everytime I look at the pictures I have to pop my eyes back in. I'm getting an adreneline rush just thinking about it.

Bill.

Lightning Fish:
But run to where? And be able to out run the fish? I think that is key, being able to maintain your focus and and get a good shot off without filling your shorts.

Where I grew up (and years after I left), there was a young kid (13 years perhaps) who dropped a charging grizzly with a small rifle, bigger than a 22 but one certainly not meant for grizzlies. He was out hunting with his Dad and a couple others and they surprised a grizzly feeding on an elk carcass. He hit it in the magic spot, otherwise he and his party would probably all be dead. My memory is foggy on the details, but it was one of these rare jaw droppers.

Bill.

To the best of my recollection it was a black bear, not a grizzly. The way I remember it the boy and his father were up around Ram creek hunting for dear. I don't remember anything about the gun but from what I recall, the bear smacked daddy down to the ground and the kid dropped it in its tracks. Lucky shot probably.

The grizzly incident you're proabably thinking of was the mauling in St. Mary's. Nobody shot at that one, they were hiking and surprised him on a kill. Everyone survived but they spend about 2 weeks sewing the guy's face back on his skull. I don't remember the guy's name but it was someone my dad worked with.

R..

Lightning Fish:
But run to where? And be able to out run the fish? I think that is key, being able to maintain your focus and and get a good shot off without filling your shorts.QUOTE]

I've been trying chumming lately hoping a big one (tuna, mahi, grouper...) will follow the little ones to the boat. I was planning on tying the gun to the boat so if its big and runs down deep I won't lose the gun. THIS fish could sink my BOAT !!!! :D

I uploaded a couple of other pics in my "photo gallery" thing...

One of the entire team with all their Zeagle regs and gear, and another one of Dan and Ricky (the guys who actually went to 425' and shot the fish) with the fish after they got it back to port.

Scott

Diver0001:
To the best of my recollection it was a black bear, not a grizzly. The way I remember it the boy and his father were up around Ram creek hunting for dear. I don't remember anything about the gun but from what I recall, the bear smacked daddy down to the ground and the kid dropped it in its tracks. Lucky shot probably.

The grizzly incident you're proabably thinking of was the mauling in St. Mary's. Nobody shot at that one, they were hiking and surprised him on a kill. Everyone survived but they spend about 2 weeks sewing the guy's face back on his skull. I don't remember the guy's name but it was someone my dad worked with.

R..

Rob,

Separate incidents. This was up Whiteswan. The grizzly bear is now in the local museum.

Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom