OMG! 403 lb Warsaw Speared in Gulf of Mexico!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To stone a fish is to kill it with the shaft (spear).

Lightning Fish:
Okay, I have a couple of questions so I can understand the terminology better. What do you mean by "The aim is to stone the fish when freeshafting."? Stone the fish? With a spear gun isn't the intention to penetrate the fish in order to kill it? When you say stone I interpret that to be like bludgeoning.

Bill.

I thought 'stone" meant dead on impact. Like a shot through the lateral line just behind the gills. The fish ...he no move no more after that......

Hank49:
I thought 'stone" meant dead on impact. Like a shot through the lateral line just behind the gills. The fish ...he no move no more after that......

That is correct.

If you penetrate the fish on the "sweet spot", it will kill him on the spot (or "stone" dead).

Scott

yeah, sorry, didn't clairify it enough.

Hank49:

ScottZeagle:
That is correct.

If you penetrate the fish on the "sweet spot", it will kill him on the spot (or "stone" dead).

Scott

Thanks. Also from http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/cda/article_print/0,1983,TCP_1062_3838306_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

"Without a powerhead, the only way to prevent a struggle is to hit the fish directly behind the gills. That kills it or paralyzes it. About one in four shots is a kill-shot. Other shots stick in the fish but do not kill it."

Bill.

Lightning Fish:
Thanks. Also from http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/cda/article_print/0,1983,TCP_1062_3838306_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

"Without a powerhead, the only way to prevent a struggle is to hit the fish directly behind the gills. That kills it or paralyzes it. About one in four shots is a kill-shot. Other shots stick in the fish but do not kill it."

Bill.

Which makes shooting that giant fish even more amazing. You could kill a grizzly bear with a 38 if you hit him in the right spot.....but if you don't.... Even after a stone shot a fish will quiver a little most of the time. When this one quivered.....it shook the reef. The title of the post on Spearboard was "do I shoot, or run"? I think I would have run. Huevos the size of coconuts on that gentleman.

Hank49:
Which makes shooting that giant fish even more amazing. You could kill a grizzly bear with a 38 if you hit him in the right spot.....but if you don't.... Even after a stone shot a fish will quiver a little most of the time. When this one quivered.....it shook the reef. The title of the post on Spearboard was "do I shoot, or run"? I think I would have run. Huevos the size of coconuts on that gentleman.

Did you read his description on page 9 of that thread? The fish charged at him from something like 100ft away, got right in his face and started flaring and stuff....

Me....I would have lost bladder control as I kowtowed and apologized profusely in my hasty retreat.

He....Said "Awesome" and shot it in the head.

When the end of the world comes I want that guy on my team.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom