Omega Flip Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Omegas - the hinge idea worries me - has anyone had a problem with the hinge breaking / wearing out / not working after just a few dives ?

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Omegas - the hinge idea worries me - has anyone had a problem with the hinge breaking / wearing out / not working after just a few dives ?

I have owned them for over a year. My first pair failed due to walking around on concrete with them; the latch on the tip of the toe area wore thin and I started to be able to kick them loose. I emailed Omega, their customer service was awesome.
They had apparently figured the problem out and now the latch comes covered with the same rubber "sole" material that covers the rest of the foot pocket.
The day after I mailed them back, and brand new set showed up; they had mailed them out to me 2-day air on the day of my complaint. They even sent me a hat too!

Bottom line:
-I like them.
-They are awesome for shore diving/boat diving/river diving (when it gets to shallow).
-Great company with great customer service.
-Probably wont last as long as Jet/Rocket/Force etc. fins.
-More power than split fins.
-American Made (IIRC).

** The hinges are solid; I believe the latch is the weak point in the system. **

I would not take them on any long distance travel where the failure could possibly ruin a trip.

Would I buy them again? I don't know yet. I recently bought Force Fin Pro's and AquaLung Express full-foot fins.
Prior to those, I was using Cressi Reactions and the Omega Flips.

Hope that helps; let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
I love mine and have been using them regularly for over two years and 100+ dives. The hinge is solid as is the front locking clip. And yes, I'd buy them again.

My first pair lasted over 225 dives, the only thing wrong with them was the spring gave out and the fin would not fold up properly. The nice thing was the fin was still usable and since I was in Fiji when they fail I was able to finish my trip and come home. They were replaced for free by the factory.

I have 4 pairs of Flips hanging in my garage. Mine (Yellow), my sons (red) and sapare pair(Blue) and my buddy who stores his gear in my garage (Black). All in all they are awesome fins and just cannot be beat boat diving, shore diving, fresh water spring diving.

we love em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom