Omega Flip Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am another big fan of the flip fins - here is me testing my new set out on Christmas morning 2007.

ColininDR4smallforScubaboard.jpg

The upside: great for walking around surf or for staggering around a dive boat overloaded with tanks. Climbing ladders is a bit trickier, but certainly do-able. Contrary to my own expectations, they don't normally "disengage" whilst diving unless you really whack them against something really hard. Personally I haven't had a problem with frog kicks, but I accept that intuitively that is more likely to cause them to disengage because of the way that the lock works.

The downside: they are not the most powerful fins in the world, and although they are well made, I suspect that they will fail sooner than a conventional set of fins. The other thing that caught me out once (but never again!) is that if you are running a reel you can get it snagged in the "hinge".

I love my fins, I take them everywhere and in the beginning I was scoffed at. I have about 110 dives on them and they are still going strong. The only think I have changed on them is the addtition of spring straps. Going up and down ladders works just fine, but you have to be slow and deliberate. Giant strides take a little getting used to, because I sink deeper than when I am wearing regular fins. Overall they are great fins, I can keep up with just about anyone underwater. When gearing up they are the 3rd item I put on, wetsuit (to the waist), booties then flip fins, everything else after that. I am usually the last in the water, because I am the most mobile one of our group that I am helping everyone before slinging on my rig. Boat diving, spring diving, caven, they work fine, usually if I am working with a friend on a platform, I fold my fins then rest on my knees while they are practicing whatever skill they are working on.

Last weekend I forgot my fins at a spring near my home and did not realize until the next day. Someone turned them in and I got them back, but I was already online shopping for a new pair!!

If you purchase a pair, you will not be sorry. It's just a kick and click!

Joe

Great news. I gort a call from Omega.....
MAN I LOVE companies like this.
Customer service is number one.

I've had my reel line as well as dive flag caught up in my fins many times.
Hey, that's just the way it is.
It's not like I've never been wrapped up in SuperRockets

The downside: they are not the most powerful fins in the world, and although they are well made, I suspect that they will fail sooner than a conventional set of fins. The other thing that caught me out once (but never again!) is that if you are running a reel you can get it snagged in the "hinge".

Great news. I gort a call from Omega.....
MAN I LOVE companies like this.
Customer service is number one.

They are indeed a solid company with customer service being a high priority.

Been kicking them all summer. My only beef is that when doing an aggressive scissor kick they can tend to "fold" Not great when speed is needed whilst chasing down an intro diver. Overall they get a 9/10 from me though and it makes moving around on a rocky dive boat a snap.

Posted a review today on my blog too if anyone wants to take a peek....

G

Shipped them back for replacement.
Hoping my new ones will allow for frog and helicopter kicks.

Holy Moly........I got new Omega Aquatics Amphibian Flip fins delivered today via Fed Ex.
How fast was that......
The new fins differ slightly in that the lip holding the fins open is more substantial.
They also seems a little less rigid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom