OLYMPUS Tough TG-Tracker VS GoPro Hero 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freetzer

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi There,

I recently got the interest of underwater videography after my 2 years of experience of diving. I'm planning to get a decent introductory sports camera. After doing some research and studies, i found out that these two camera models are highly recommended by divers. I would want to know is what are your comments or recommendations based on this two models?

OLYMPUS Tough TG-Tracker
GoPro Hero 5

Thanks and much appreciated.

Hi There,

I recently got the interest of underwater videography after my 2 years of experience of diving. I'm planning to get a decent introductory sports camera. After doing some research and studies, i found out that these two camera models are highly recommended by divers. I would want to know is what are your comments or recommendations based on this two models?

OLYMPUS Tough TG-Tracker
GoPro Hero 5

Thanks and much appreciated.
i will recommend u to go to GoPro Hero 5 because many experience diver do video with GoPro compare the TG-Tracker. People start do video with GoPro since GoPro 1 and GoPro also have many accessories compare to TG-Tracker. Just Get GoPro Hero5 Super Suit Case Redfilter then a Tray and Couple of Video Light and you are done. Goodluck!

I go with Olympus because so simple , have built in light which is important underwater and no housing necessary . all u need is a red filter . also more durable which is important inmy opinion

This camera is a superior option for diving:

DC2000 | Sealife Cameras
DC2000 doesn't compare to gopro for video. dc2000 tops out at 1080p, while gopro also does 2k and 4k video. Conversely, dc2000 takes 20mp stills while the gopro only does 12mp.

Sealife has their own strobes and dive tray that pairs perfectly with their camera. You're going to be buying stuff from other manufacturers in order to take your gopro diving and get good results.

The Olympus Tough TG Tracker is kind of an in betweener. It's video capabilities are closer (but still not as good) to those of the gopro. The still image capability is the worst of the three cameras. It is waterproof, but only to 100' and there is no dive housing to be had.

Personally, I'd go with sealife (still) or gopro (video) if you're not wanting to plop down the cash on a micro 4/3 or DSLR system. If you really like Olympus, they make plenty of excellent micro 4/3 cameras. Tg-tracker isn't one I'd describe as excellent.

I would also look at Sony's action cam, the [FDR-X3000](http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278151-REG). Benefit of both the Sony and the [TG Tracker](http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1251123-REG) are that both come ready for diving out of the box (on the new gopros you need to buy the dive case separately for $50) and both have underwater modes that correct color without having to use a filter. Remember, filters cut down on light and the more light your camera gets the better. [This video]() on YouTube offers a good comparison of all the action cams in use underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom