Olympus 1030SW/Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG3K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife is finally getting the Photog bug, and she brought me a printout this morning from B&H's website with this Oly setup that she wants.

She seems pretty set on it, but the total is about 5 bills from B&H for the Cam and Housing. I guess the cam itself is only waterproof to 33 feet, which is still cool for snorkeling.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this camera. Also, if anyone knows the capability of adding a strobe to the Oly housing for this camera. Of course, she will want a strobe next, it seems inevitable at this point.

I like the size of the 1030 for her. It's nice and small, even in the housing. Shes still working on skills and I don't want her carrying around some huge setup. She also looked at the SeaLife Reefmaster Mini, but I'm positive that this Oly will take better pictures.

(FWIW - I tried to discuss the need for her to continue to work on skills before she adds a camera, but she said, and I quote - "But you bought one after 10 dives." Andddd.... that pretty much ended that. Do as I say, not as I do? Hehe.)

.........(FWIW - I tried to discuss the need for her to continue to work on skills before she adds a camera, but she said, and I quote - "But you bought one after 10 dives." Andddd.... that pretty much ended that. Do as I say, not as I do? Hehe.)

:rofl3: Now that is good. You got busted. It is amazing the way things come 'round to bite us in life. I do not know about that camera in particular but could see an argument with her to start smaller and work her way up. I think that that is the best way to go always IMHO. But I see that you have a battle before you :popcorn: ....I bought a Nikon Coolpix P5000 (10.1) with Ikelite housing and strobes and spare parts and spent around $2000 (about a year ago) and love the shots I get and I am learning and working towards my bigger and better DSLR.

I wish you luck. No matter what, her obsession will grow with every shot she takes...mine did.

EDIT

By the way, I started out with a Canon 5.0mp and a Canon housing (nothing more) and shot that for 2 years befpre going to what I have now. That was much less expensive but took less impressive shots.

The strobe that will work well is the Inon D2000 and that will set you back another 5 and 1/4 bills and a bit. I would suggest the 790 or 850 instead. I have posted numerous photos taken with my Oly 770SW which is the forunner of the 790/850/1030 and was only just recently phased out, if in fact it has. I am pleased with mine for playing around and taking photos in my kayak and boat without a bulky housing and underwater it has done very well in the housing--at least for me. However, I also have two Canon A570IS with Ikelite and Canon housings, one each, and overall the Canon is more flexible and cheaper but also completely unsuited to outdoor use unless installed into the Canon/Ikelite housing. Do not bring a Canon 570 on a boat, do not go into the rain, do not even think about moisture or it will go TU. It must be in the housing, then it is as happy as a clam.

N

The strobe that will work well is the Inon D2000 and that will set you back another 5 and 1/4 bills and a bit. I would suggest the 790 or 850 instead. I have posted numerous photos taken with my Oly 770SW which is the forunner of the 790/850/1030 and was only just recently phased out, if in fact it has. I am pleased with mine for playing around and taking photos in my kayak and boat without a bulky housing and underwater it has done very well in the housing--at least for me. However, I also have two Canon A570IS with Ikelite and Canon housings, one each, and overall the Canon is more flexible and cheaper but also completely unsuited to outdoor use unless installed into the Canon/Ikelite housing. Do not bring a Canon 570 on a boat, do not go into the rain, do not even think about moisture or it will go TU. It must be in the housing, then it is as happy as a clam.

N

Nem - I am not adverse to your suggestion at all, just curious.

Is there a reason you would recommend/prefer the lower MP models? Did Oly make changes to the 1030 (from the 770) that make the lower MP models more appealing?

Also, can you compare the overall photo quality of the 570 to your 770? Is the 770 CAPABLE of producing similar shots if used properly? Or is it simply outclassed?

I also have a 570 in a Canon housing - but I will be honest, the ease with which this setup appears to shoot underwater is appealing, I may even consider borrowing it when I go, haha.

Hey Nem.

Does the 1030 or 850 have preflash crap? Is it turn-off-able?

DAMMIT. I knew I would regret showing this thread to the wife. We just spent 2 hours reading through the search about 770sw and now she is hooked. With one exception.

She NEEDS (her own words) the Inon accessories. Nemrod, I would like to strangle you right now, thanks bud! =D.

Do you think Inon will make a lens/mount thing for the PT-043 housing?

From your experience, Nem, can you guess at the settings for the flash and Inon strobe on the 1030?

Last edited:
Nem - last question, I promise.

Does the Inon strobe fire on slave from the main flash of the Oly's or does it take a fiber cable?

I have a friend getting rid of a YS-27 and a mask kit, I am thinking I should buy it for the wifes setup. But, it has to use the velcro mask thing.

Wow, uh, let's see. I like the 790/850 for underwater use in housing over the 1030 because they are supported by Inon and at the moment the 1030 is not. The 1030 has a wider angle lens, that might appeal to you for surface use. It will have to be zoomed in if you ever put a wet lens on it I bet. The 850 and 790 I think use the same housing. Also they are cheaper and have funky colors. I don't have anything agianst the 1030SW other than it is not Inon supported--that may not matter to you.

The 770SW vs Canon 570SW, I had a thread a while back where I semi compared them and felt the Oly came out on top for ease of use. I have posted photos from both in various threads.

Yes, the Oly SWs have preflash and no, it does not turn off.

The Inon D2000 will fire from the cameras flash but it works best using the fiber optic cable that mounts to the Inon AD lens adapter and the blocker in front of the camera's flash. It works great, double great.

Strobes and lenses cost more than the camera and housing.

Canon 570IS:

IMG_0300.jpg

Oly 770SW:

P3280124_edited-1.jpg

High dollar DSLR (with lots of MP):

RobandBryanatAlexander1.jpg

Oly 770SW:

P3270020.jpg

This mega pixel thing is out of control. For web use, prints to 4X6 and 6X9 then five to eight MP are fine. If you projecting to a wall or doing magazine print work or large blow ups over 8X12 then ten MP plus is useful.

N

Last edited:
Oh, BTW, the overall quality of the Oly, camera and housing, build quality is better than for the cheapo Canon.

Oly with Inon:

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

Canon 570IS:

DSCF0156.jpg

Both:

DSCF0124.jpg

The problem with the Canon A series and similar cameras are they are indoor play purties only. No gaskets, no shock proof, no temperature or moisture or dust resistence, no protection from the elements at all--however--once tucked into it's Canon housing the 570IS becomes a photgraphic animal---lol.

Canon 570IS:

DSCF0123.jpg

Photo taken with an AGFA camera I got with the coupon off the back of a Fruit Loops box circa 1962, it is the first photo I ever took. I ain't no expert but I did study photgraphy in school, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express a few months ago too:

IMG_0128_edited.jpg

This came from my second roll of twelve:

IMG_0197_edited.jpg

My daddy:

IMG_0206_edited.jpg

OK, so, gotta run.

N

Nem, do you think Inon will support the 1030 eventually?

Hey Nem.

Does the 1030 or 850 have preflash crap? Is it turn-off-able?

DAMMIT. I knew I would regret showing this thread to the wife. We just spent 2 hours reading through the search about 770sw and now she is hooked. With one exception.

She NEEDS (her own words) the Inon accessories. Nemrod, I would like to strangle you right now, thanks bud! =D.

Do you think Inon will make a lens/mount thing for the PT-043 housing?

From your experience, Nem, can you guess at the settings for the flash and Inon strobe on the 1030?

Uh, sorry :eyebrow:, if you get the accessories you could get the adpater for the 570 as well and have loads of fun sharing. The settings you ask, yes, auto on the strobe, auto on the camera, UW Wide. I don't always use the flash on either, I may select flash off for natural light. I am just learning Photoshop, my photos are not edited, I need to learn to clone out sediment. The Inon 165FE will have some ghost/flare if I let direct light hit the front element or have the flash to far forward, in front of the port element.

INON America - News & Events

INON America - News & Events

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom