Olympus 1030SW/Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a reason you would recommend/prefer the lower MP models? Did Oly make changes to the 1030 (from the 770) that make the lower MP models more appealing?
C-4040
4.0 Megapixel (effective), 1/1.8”(.56") CCD
f1.8 – f8.0
C-5050
5.0 Megapixel (effective), 1/1.8”(.56") CCD
f1.8 – f8.0
770 SW
7.1 Megapixel (effective), 1/2.33”(.429") CCD
f3.5 – f5.0
1030 SW
10.1 Megapixels (effective), 1/2.35”(.426") CCD
F3.5 - F5.1

OK, here is the theory; todays new higher megapixel cameras actually have a smaller sensor, so the size of each pixel on the sensor is much smaller.

"The more millions of pixels, the smaller each pixel must be—and the smaller the pixel, the less light-gathering efficiency it has, and the worse the camera performs in low-light or stop-action shots"

The above quote is debatable, but combined with the cheaper lenses in todays p&s's (less bright) the fact is today's p&s's do perform worse in low-light and stop-action shooting.

The Oly C-4040 has an individual pixel size of .140 microns (I think it's a micron?).
C-5050 pixel size = .112 (whatever it is it's the same, just a little smaller)
770 SW = .060
1030 SW = .042

Just looking at the 770 and 1030, the 770 has ~50% more light gathering efficiency per pixel than the 1030. As a photographer, how do we adjust for dimness? We raise the film speed (ISO), but that also increases the graininess. In digital photography, raising the ISO increases noise, so most photographers leave the ISO low, resulting in dim pixels. Yes there are more pixels in a 1030 image, but are more dimmer dots better than less brighter dots? In many opinions all you have is a large storage issue, not a better image.

Now factor in the lens brightness and look back to the 4040 / 5050. f1.8 is WAY brighter than f3.5, and way more expensive to make. There are still award winning images being produced by those cameras. The 5050 has many extras that make it a more versatile camera than the 4040, but images from the 4040 may very well be superior in low-light conditions. What kind of lighting conditions do we have underwater? One of the selling points of those old cameras for underwater photographers was/is their low-light focus ability, and since the discontinuation of that lens no p&s has come close.

Another issue for many photographers is raw images. I like the Canon S70 for it's small size, wide stock lens and raw capabilities. The lens is no where near as good as the 4040/5050, but it fits in a BC pocket. It also accepts INON AD accessories. There are also other Canon cameras that can be hacked to record in raw. That is what I see as the biggest drawback to the SW line by Olympus, no raw files. :(

NASA has some incredible, spectacular, breathtaking images from Mars, taken with a 1 megapixel camera! It has a superior sensor and the most expensive stereo lenses taxpayer money could buy. At least they spent our money on the important features.

Hey, while we are on the topic.

The wife just showed up with some printouts of the Canon SD750, any thoughts in comparison with the 770/1030?

She is pretty set on the Inon kits, so we may be winning her over, albeit slowly.

Nemrod, nice shots and I agree with everything you said about Olympus. Two questions:

1. Why in a later post do you say no to the Oly UFL-1 for someone starting out?

2. And much more importatnt Where did you get that sweet dual hose? Looking for one myself.

Looking forward to your response.

Jim

I do not think the Oly strobe is a good investment. The YS/Ike/Inon strobes have growth potential to use with other systems, even DSLRs and high end P&S cameras..

On the preflash thing, that is a question for Oly/Inon/YS. I think all of the Olys have multiple preflashes. Turn off red eye and it might drop to one preflash and main flash, not sure--not sure.

I owned a Mistral since I was a kid, the others I liberated from sock/underwear drawers and ebay and rebuilt myself with parts from Vintage Double Hose and as well check out Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators and if your interested in vintage both of those web stores have active vintage forums for talking about how much better our vintage gear is than all this modern plastic crap and how much better divers we are. :wink:

Halemano, excellent post, thank you for the great explanation.

N

Nem, when your 770 fires into the Inon, how many flash shots go off before the strobe fires?

(With settings correct?)

Those flashes happen so fast I cannot see them, it appears as one with red eye off. The Inon D2000 has to be set for preflash mode.

N

Well, the debate now seems to be:

She likes the setups I have, the 720 and 570, but doesn't like the fact that if the housing leaks on mine, we have to buy a new camera.

She is heartset on the 1030, despite the fact that I have explained to her in excruciating detail how Inon may or may not support it. I got her to look at the 850, hopefully she will come around.

I guess in the worst case scenario, we can get her just the strobe and the Oly arm that links to the hot shoe. Then she can use the D2000 and she'll have to forgo the AD lenses. (Although I will be looking at them for my setup, haha)

Thanks for all the input Nemrod.

Good news for you, look what I found out--sorry I did not see this last time.

INON America - News & Events

So, go ahead and get the 1030SW---but---they set it up for 28AD lenses, not AD lenses, the two are incompatable. For user compatibility between your wife and your Canon 570 you will have to stay with the 850/790. The 1030SW has a 28mm lens (35MM equivilent) and in order to use that lens to the fullest capability it needs the 28AD set up. They could have gone with the plain jane AD series (for 32 to 36 MM) but that would require slight zooming. I am really surprised they did this due to the extra expense, I would have prefered to have to slightly zoom and use the standard AD lenses.

I am not really familiar with the Canon 850.

The SW series are a little slow to focus sometimes,a little slow on the trigger too in flash mode, I like mine, rugged, go anywhere, boat, beach, kayak (I already dunked several cameras) picutres are decent, camera tucks in a pocket with ease.

N

Mid July I bought a 1030sw at Sam's and a 2gig card to go with it. My wife and I went to Lauderdale by the Sea and I used the 1030sw on three dives on the first reef without a housing. Max depth on the first reef off Datura street was 16 feet and the 1030 worked very well. I used the first UW scene setting and -0.3 exposure. Underwater it's easy to turn the flash on and off and easy to turn the macro on and off. The zoom worked well and was very handy. On land the little camera worked very well too. It's a small camera with a small sensor and performs like one.

I'll get the housing for rig diving and just use the bare camera for kayak fishing. If the housing weeps some the 1030 won't be harmed.

I'm very pleased with the 1030sw for it's intended purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom