OLY SP-350 or Fuji E900??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torcatdog

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would anyone care to offer thoughts on how these 2 cameras stack up against each other? I plan to shoot in Coz with a strobe - likely an INON d2000 or Ikelite ds125.
Also housing choice OLY $265 or Ikelite $400?
Thanx

I love my Oly, but they both seem to be excellent cameras. One factor might be ease of accessorizing. Ike has some awesome pictures on the website taken with a Fuji. I think you'll spend a lot more money with the Fuji and the Ike, but if you're going high end on the strobe, you'll get a really sturdy housing that comes with a tray and a quick arm release and you'll get one stop shopping, because Ikelite will have all the stuff but the camera and all the answers. You're going to spend probably twice as much money but it all depends on your priorities, your budget and how handy you are at mixing and matching stuff. Sometimes doing it right once can be almost cheaper than getting two bargains to find the one item you want. Toss a coin. Another choice might be the Oly and the Ike. Ike even has a TTL setup for the Oly.

Any polycarbonate housing is more likely to fog up than an aluminum one. Add to that a system that requires the camera's internal flash to fire (to trigger a slave strobe). Then add a bit of humidity from being on an un-airconditioned liveaboard boat. It will fog every time. Consistent fogging can also be a manifestation of a small, seeping leek through a control shaft that could speed up over time.

The Ikelite housing w/ an SP350, or the Oly PT-030 w/ a Heinrichs Bulkhead allows the user to disable the internal flash, eliminating the heat source, while firing the external flash through the hotshoe.

Sealing the housing in a dry room, and using dessicant liberally can make it a non-issue with a plastic housing.

Another reason to love my Oly. Hotshoe TTL.

WORD!

Thanks for your input! I enjoy a good mix and match, I also believe in paying a little extra to get a little extra. I am not looking for the cheapest option. I am looking for the most compatible camera, housing, tray/arm and strobe. You have all offered great advice - Thanks

It seems like Olympus has more available, decent priced and variety of accessories / lenses. Today I did get to see the SP-350 first hand and boy is she sexy! Tomorrow I hope to see them side by side, National Camera Exchange did not have much Fuji equipment. doh!

I look forward to sharing my expeiences and photos as this odyssey continues!

Tori

Everything I've read with regard to the SP-350 warns about the poor battery life. What do you SP-350 users think?

Both good cameras but I place the best value on the Olympus SP-350.
reasons:

As pointed out...the hotshoe. You will save big bucks when adding an external strobe and save on battery life.

Olympus uses a larger CCD sensor with 8mp, Fuji uses a smaller CCD then stuffs it with 9mp.

Olympus has a bit larger LCD screen.

The Olympus has a lower ISO of 50 vs. 80 in the Fuji.

Good value Olympus housing.

And (this is my bias) I find that the Olympus colors much brighter and bold.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13804

I'm about to find out, as I ordered the SP-350 with the Ikelight housing and DS-125 strobe package...all from Reef Photo (thanks, Richard and Ryan). Ya-hooo . . . now I'm off to find the best rCR-V3's and xD card (1g type H).

Back
Top Bottom