OLY E-M1 New Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking forward to the 12-40, as it looks like it may fit in the 60 macro port and can use a simple zoom gear. I think the 12-50 port was a complicated and expensive solution for a decent but not great lens, which is ultimately why i passed on it.

I am curious if Nauticam can make a housing for this, is the grip too large? There's not much room left on my Nauticam EM5 with 4.33" dome port...

I have the 60 mm port. You think that it will fit?

No, it will not fit. The lens diameter is 70 mm or so and that is larger than the 60 macro port. If I were Nauticam I would build the housing but make it fit not only the u4/3 but the larger 4/3 lenses and that will mean a bigger port diameter and a new port system.
Bill

I don't agree with Bill about the port diameter being changed from the "Mini Port" size and creating an all new port system. First those with the Nauticam mirrorless systems would need a complete new set of ports, not cool. All of the 43 DSLR lenses that are to FAT for the current system can be mounted from the front of the housing and would use the ZEN Underwater port adapters for Subal type III and Sea&Sea dome ports. This is how the Zeiss 12mm is being adapted to the Nauticam NEX housings. I use the ZEN 100mm optical glass port, Subal type III with adapter for my NA-EM5 housing with the 8mm fisheye and it works very well. Much better than having to buy an entire new set of ports. The Olympus 50mm macro is the lens which most 43 lens users will want to get onto the new E-M1 and it will fit in the current ports. The Olympus 8mm fisheye and Olympus 7-14mm zooms would also fit I think with a port adapter and the proper port. I think those who have been using the Olympus DSLR housings for cameras like the E-520 and E-620 are much more likely to keep their Olympus glass ports and use them with the coming PT-EP11 housing and PAD-EP08 MMF-3 extension adapter for 43 lenses and ports.

Regarding the new 12-40 F/2.8 it is the same diameter as the Panasonic 7-14mm zoom which fits into the current port opening so I am guessing it will likely work with the 77mm 12-50 port along with a new zoom gear. I will be using it with a dome port, the 170mm or perhaps the 100mm. I have the Panasonic 45mm macro and the Olympus 60mm macro so I won't be trying to make a macro lens out of it just a very close focusing mid range zoom as it is intended to be.

It would also be very nice to see Nauticam use the same rear LCD window as being used with the NA-EM5 housing so that those who are using the 45 & 180 degree enlarging viewfinders can make the switch without needing to buy a new rear window.

Just as the camera is going to be more expensive than the E-M5 I would expect to see a higher priced Nauticam housing as it appears that at least five new controls have been added which will increase production costs.

If you have not been following the Luminous-Landscape review of the camera I have attached a link. This is a hands on field review over the next week which points out the good the bad and the ugly regarding this camera both for shooting stills and video. This is a respected site and a worthwhile read.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Rolling Field Report

Phil Rudin

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 03:18 PM ----------

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 03:22 PM ----------

Aquatica has now posted over on Wetpixel.com that they will be building a housing for the E-M1 pro camera. So up to three offerings at this time.

OM-D EM-1 - Digital SLRs/Housings - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Last edited:
Hi Bob, I would think this camera is tailor-made for you and your selection of 4/3 lenses. Just have to invest in the housing.

over on Wetpixel it was just reported that Nauticam will support the E-M1 reading through I pre-ordered mine to see how much I like or not like it better than the E-M5. There is already a discount for Pre-Order the E-M1. So Why not...
From Wetpixel Nauticam reply:
"We are glade to inform you that we will support the new Olympus OMD E-M1. It's under design phase now. As we are not so sure about when will the camera available, so the final date is still pending."

Hi Bob, I would think this camera is tailor-made for you and your selection of 4/3 lenses. Just have to invest in the housing.
I think it would raise eyebrows with Laurie.. :wink: I did get the PTMC-01 macro adapter and that works really well with the 60mm and as little as a a +10 diopter. Have not used it underwater yet, but Bob, Pat's husband(?) liked it. Bob did just switch to Nauticam, and had it the last time I was down.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2013 at 07:54 AM ----------

I was getting ready to order the Pana 100-300, so I might order the new 12-40 as well.

I was getting ready to order the Pana 100-300, so I might order the new 12-40 as well.

Is the Pana 100-300 for U/W use? If so, what port?

What port would you use for the 12-40 lens?

Back
Top Bottom