Oly E-620 or Pany GF-1 or Oly EPL-1 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Help ...please help

I receive the 10bar housing for EPL-1 - but too bad I can not use it with my Metz in 10bar housed strobe. I do not buy the Oly OEM housing as this housing does not have bulkhead connector - so I bought the 10bar housing from Opticalocean.

The sync. cord (OPM5-NKM) supplied by 10bar (not by optical ocean) as part the 10bar housing package can not be used to connect the Nikonos V connector of those housings. I also have Epoque ES-SC-OLF sync. cord for olympus housing. I can not use this sync. cord. I borrow my friend's oly sync. cord - but still can not be used. The connectors do not fit.

I asked Jack - and sent him the following pictures of the bulkhead connector on both housings.
The bulkhead on the 10bar housing for E-PL1
bulk_head_at_10bar_housing_for_EPL1.jpg

The bulkhead connector on the 10bar housing for Metz 58AF-1 flash for Olympus/panny camera.
bulk_head_at_10bar_flash_housing.jpg

He suggest to use S&S Nikonos V sync. cord.
I get it though not cheap.
Guess - I can't use it. This cable also has different ends. Only one end can be connected to either the camera housing or housed strobe.
Note - all the other three sync. cord can also be connected on one end only.

I don't know what I can do now .. next week I'll be going for dive trip to Ambon.
Thanks much for any advice and suggestion ..
I have three sync. cord that can not be used
Any DIY to modify these cable ?

Last edited:
I first learned to shoot macro with a Nikon 60mm macro lens that was notorious for focus breathing (the field of view changed as you focused, especially at macro distances). With that lens, I was taught to always lock the focus with a half-press of the shutter release, then frame the picture, then take the shot. That worked pretty well for me. When I try to take macro photos relying on autofocus, as often as not I get the wrong part of the photo in focus.

For example, there's a photo in your St. Vincent section of a secretary blenny peaking out from some coral. When I try to get an image like that from just pressing the shutter release, I often end up with sharp and well focused coral, with a blurry blenny peaking out. By locking the autofocus, I can move the camera and get the blenny to be the sharpest and most well focused part of the frame.

Do you have a different technique for underwater macro? I realize that my technique might be a little dated (modern macro lenses don't focus breathe as much as my old 60mm), but I don't see many alternatives.
You are still using autofocus with manual distance control. I was comparing it to manual focus alone ie. moving the lens in and out with a focus ring. I don't see well enough for that game.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom