Oly E-620 or Pany GF-1 or Oly EPL-1 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use autofocus for both my 60 & 105VR - I have the option of manual focus on the 105, but don't use it much. I have no problem, focus on the eyes and recompose.

But to the OP's question; The M 4/3rds cameras are quite good for their cost. The hidden cost in these systems are the lenses, which are a few to several hundreds more expensive than equivalent APS-C DSLRs like Canon or Nikon. I also think that they can be a bit slow to use due to lack of dials and action shooting with them harder than using a DSLR & viewfinder. But coming from a P&S you won't notice these issues.

The Oly 30mm macro won't fit the Oly PT-EP01 housing, except by using a fairly expensive Athena port adapter and port as wel as the Oly adapter. You're money ahead going with the excellent Pany 45mm macro.

The 10Bar housings accommodate all the Oly & Pany lenses using a system of a few ports and extensions. Zen and Athena have options for ports, but they are specific purpose and expensive.

I have an article on my blog comparing them here.

The Oly E620 is a good camera, and the Oly housing very good quality. But it has been surpassed this year and is pretty old by today's technological standards. Still for a full DSLR it is easy to use, light and durable - a very good value.

The NEX5 is a game changer. About $7-800 with 2 lenses it has a full APS-C sensor, just like you find on bigger cameras. Sensor size is where it's at, along with lenses. There is an adapter for the alpha series of Sony lenses and ports and adapters are coming. The Nauticam NEX-5 housing is extremely small, light and easy to use. It has excellent gearing and controls. it is more expensive by the time you get ports and what not, but still affordable. I have more on it in my newsletter here.

Another great small camera is the Canon 550D Dslr; awesome video, tons of lenses, small and easy to use. I like the Nauticam NA-550D housing for it, but the Sea & Sea RDX550D is also a good value.

Jack

Thanks for all response - I learn something new; but still not very easy to decide.
Okay - so let knock-out one of those 3 options - with only 2 options, I can use a coin to help :wink:

So, I will delete the panny option, as I don't see major benefit other than larger LCD and HD video. In fact, one of the review can't conclude GF1 is faster than E-PL1. The min. distance of panny lens is larger than oly.
With E-PL1, I can share with E-620 the use of back-up battery, battery charger, software, and sure more familiar with the menu. I also can use my Metz with RC mode or as remote slave strobe.

??

The Oly 30mm macro won't fit the Oly PT-EP01 housing, except by using a fairly expensive Athena port adapter and port as wel as the Oly adapter. You're money ahead going with the excellent Pany 45mm macro.

The 10Bar housings accommodate all the Oly & Pany lenses using a system of a few ports and extensions. Zen and Athena have options for ports, but they are specific purpose and expensive.

Jack,
Do you mean PT-EP01 w/ Zen port or the 10bar housing with semi dome port can accomodate Zuiko 35mm macro lense (w/ m4/3 to 4/3 adater)?

Wisnu,

The battery and charger for the E-620 and E-PL1 are not the same and the E-PL1 II has an even different battery.

The E-620 is at its best using the optical view finder and the E-PL1 is a live view camera better than any P&S camera you would find. The sensor size is the same for both, so one of the main issue between these two cameras is your preference for live-view or optical viewing. Being old-school I like my optical viewfinder but with the E-PL1 I am starting to come around to the merits of live view.

Regarding ports you get what you pay for, the ZEN ports are exceptional and the 9-18 port works as well with the 14-42 kit lens. The 9-18 is an excellent lens for the cost, but so is the 9-18 for the E-620. With the E-620 version a gear is the biggest problem when using the Olympus housing.

I agree with Jack that for now the Panasonic 45 macro lens is the best choice for the E-PL1, Olympus say they have a 50 macro coming in spring 2011 which I am sure will cost much less than the Pany lens becaues it will not need image stabilization as that is built into the E-PL1 camera body. The only way the Pany 45 macro will work well is in a port made for the lens, Zen has one coming for $399.00, which will allow an adapter for 67 mm close-up lenses like the Inon M-67 and ReefNet + 5/10 diopters.

Phil Rudin

Phil,
Many thanks for the advises.
I'm not very comfy with small view finder for underwater - and the E-620 live is not fast at all. Some people told me the live view E-PL1 is better.
And seem, with E-620, mostly each lens will require specific port; not like - semi dome port from 10bar where we can use for oly 14-42, 9-18 or panny 14-45 and 7-14.

I understood the m4/3 lens is more expensive and panny lens even more expensive. Budget is always problem, so I have no plan to buy expensive lens for this time. Let wait next year.
That's why I'm asking whether I can use my 35mm macro for E-PL1 in 10bar housing.
Actually not very crucial, as I just checked (with E-620 topsite) that the combination of lens kit 14-42mm + Inon UCL 165M67 is not bad - at leat to my standard. In fact, the AF kit lens + Inon macro is faster than using 35mm.
I assume the E-PL1 with lens kit 14-42 + macro will be similar.

When referring Zen ports, I assume only applicable for PT-EP01 housing for E-PL1.
Zen ports for E-620 are not cheap. I don't see they have port for 35mm.
My problem with PT-EP01 is; it does not have 5 pin bulkhead. I don't want to waste my investment for strobe; still want to use my Metz AF58-1. Indeed, very bulky - but the TTL is very accurate.
Not easy to modify this housed strobe for optical syn. cord - there's large space between the sensor location and the housing wall. I'll try today to attach the FO cable to housing wall and to cover with black tape.
If succesfull then I will reconsider the PT-EP01.
However, I check on Zen WA-100; don't see they mention about M67 adapter. For 10bar semi dome, indeed, we can attach M67 adapter.

Wisnu, you can attach the Inon UCL 165M67 to the Oly housing with the standard port (the one that comes with it) if you get the macro lens adapter ($50)
https://us.buyolympus.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=260293-410
You wouldn't want to use a dome port if you wanted the most magnification, but I do like the idea of having the option to switch to macro during the dive if possible.

No, you cannot use E-Series lenses in any of the m 4/3rds housings, 10Bar or Oly; only m/4/3rds the adapter doesn't fit. The 35mm macro isn't that great a lens anyway, you'll probably get close to the same results with the 14-42 + a diopter, IMHO.

I've shot with the 10Bar zoom port and have had very good results. I've seen the same corner sharpness with the Zen as the 10Bar. You need to stop down with both.

This was shot with 10Bar:

Aquarium shots w-9-18mm-12 by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

Jack

Franks,
Being a compact user, I like its flexibility to easily switch to macro - yes, I will not get very wide FOV.

Re. Oly housing, has no 5 pin bulkhead so i can't use my Metz 58AF-1.
I just tried to attach the FO cable to the strobe housing near the sensor and activate the RC mode. It worked, and good thing, will not be triggered by other strobe - but the success rate not good at bright area. Not practical (and look ugly) to cover all the flash housing with black tape. So, I don't think I'll go with this option.

Seem, I have not much choices:
- E-PL01 + PT-EP01 + M67 adapter and buy new strobe such as Inon 2000 - and retire my Metz - and if in the future want to have fish eye, I have to spend $$$$ for Zen ports (if any)
or
- E-PL01 + 10bar semi dome + M67 adapter and I still can use true TTL of Metz. If in the future need to full dome port for fish eye - i guess cheaper than Zen.

Yup,
Thanks for all your comment and advise
No need to use coin for making decision; just have a deal with Jack.
When arrive, my new system will consist of E-PL1 in 10bar housing, semi dome port, M67 adapter, + 2 pcs macro Diopter (inon UCL165 and Oly PTMC-01, Metz 58AF-1 flash in 10bar housing (TTL & RC) and Epoque ES230DS for second strobe or back-up.

Let the E-620 for top side only.

Back
Top Bottom