Oly 5050 video clip - playing with a Remora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its a nice argument, but buying a COMPUTER to edit my stuff is even more insane than buying a piece of software.

The platform argument may make sense if you're buying a machine to do solely one job. But few of us do. There are functions and capabilities that I need to have on my desk, and Apple has simply been unable to fill those needs.

I don't care for Mickeysoft either; in fact, I hate them as a company. But the products that run ON their platform I need to be able to use..... and that is where the rubber hits the road.

So, since I'm a PC guy, I'm stuck with working with that which I can get my hands on and actually use..... I'd love a "one stop" solution at reasonable cost for the PC, but it appears there simply isn't one.

Genesis once bubbled...
Its a nice argument, but buying a COMPUTER to edit my stuff is even more insane than buying a piece of software.
You think the Apple platform is just good for one or two functions? Ha! Another chink in the Genesis armor exposed. While editing video is a good reason to buy an Apple, I'd have to agree that it would not make much sense to buy a computer based solely on one thing.

I work with numerous applications for MAC, including Word, Excel, Fireworks, Powerpoint, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Palm, ....... Many of these applications made for both Mac and Windows I have found to be better on the Mac Version. I spend a lot of time in front of both Windows and Macs, and I now wince when I have stuff to do in Windows.

So far, there has been a grand total of one application I use that is not for MAC: my Garmin GPS software. So, open up Virtual PC and voila, I am running it on MAC. In fact, just the opposite has been true. Many of my favorite applications: iMovie, iDVD, StickyBrain, and Final Cut Pro are made ONLY for Mac. Can't use them with Windows.

Didn't want to go down this road, but sense you referred to the MAC platform as a "one job" deal, needed to set the record straight. Nothing could be further from the truth. What can't you do on a Mac?

Repent! Bill Gates is the great satan! :D

"Virtual PC" was a hack in 1995, and it still is.

Apple has had a miniscule presence in the market as a whole for a long time. Not all that long ago, there were serious reservations about their ability to continue as a going concern.

I understand that some people like Macs, and that's fine with me. But to present them as a "better" mousetrap overall flies in the face of the facts as the market perceives it, and further, doesn't solve a thing when someone presents with an issue that needs addressed on the platform that has 90+% of the market.

Telling someone to buy a different COMPUTER is even more insane than tellnig them to go out and buy a $700 piece of software.

Come on, Guys.....

Ya'll know this PC vs MAC subject is a no win argument for both sides, so let's just not go there. Digital vs Film is the same. Each side has it's staunch supporters.

Genesis....different strokes, man. Some people do spend that kind of money for a program or a computer for a single use reason. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just different from you.

Scott, thanks for your restraint and editing of your post.

If you want heated discussions, go to the other forums where the participants enjoy it. Down here in camera-land, we have other things to spend our time discussing.

my point was that proclaiming the "solution" to an issue is "just go buy another ciomputer" is inappropriate and has nothing to do with the true issue at hand.

I've been well-involved in the pc-vs-mac wars as well, primarily due to the mac folks trying to capitalize on they having a SLIP dialer before the PC users had an easily used one. They attempted to make big hay in the early days of the 'net with this.

Unfortunately, that "nice available software" was unstable, and the machine slow. A mostly-free dialer came around for Windows 3.1, and then Win95 came out and the game was over in that venue.

There are indeed people who will buy a single-purpose machine, but I'm not one of them - and neither are most other folks.

One of the nice things about this forum is that folks can find out how to get around some of these niggles with various technologies, and then share what they've learned.

I spent a few hours playing with this, and now have a solution for video editing off the Oly that works and didn't cost me a fortune to put together.

That was the point of the original post!

Guys, what do I have to do to get my point across that it's not a single purpose machine. That is so ridiculous it is beyond belief. You missed my entire point.

I repeat, MACs are used for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and many other plain vanilla features that most people use PCs for.

I give up.

Genesis, you have very limited knowledge of MACs. Dee, I take you have no knowledge of Macs. Since Macs are "single purpose", please tell me which purpose it is! Please tell me which "purposes" I can't use it for! I haven't found any yet.

Why the hell am I even responding to this? Someone, rip the keyboard away from me before I smash it against the wall!! Valium! Some one get me a $#%@ damn valium!! :D

for a person who owns a PC, buying a mac to edit videos is a single-purpose purchase.

My entire point in posting this thread was to (1) show folks, including especially Dee, who I know has recently acquired a 5050, what it can do in video mode, and (2) show how to get that video, on a PC platform, into an acceptable distribution format (VCDs) with the best possible quality WITHOUT breaking the bank.

Saying "use a Mac" violates the key intent in this - not breaking the bank - if you don't already own one.

HEY....Don't get me in this! All I meant was everyone has their reasons for what they use and there ARE people who will buy a computer for one specific reason but I did NOT say that Macs were only good for one thing. So don't twist my words around, I will not get into this.

The basic message I got from Genesis was that there are other ways to get done what MACs are supposedly famous for. That for someone like me, there's another way to get my still cameras video clips to look like his with other PC programs, that I didn't have to own a MAC to do it.

Your answer was we go to alot of extra work, a MAC is the answer to it all. I agree, if I had a MAC it would be alot easier.But I don't. MAC are notorious for their handling of all things graphic but they aren't then end all for it, maybe the easiest.

You are missing the point too. The point being that there is no one way to accomplish this video clip thing.

So take your Valium and a deep breath...Man this ain't worth it!

Just to make sure its clear - the export you want from Quicktime is to "AVI" format, then select the options and set "DV/DVPRO - NTSC" for the compression settings, and set the frames/sec to 30.

This will produce the huge export file, which is then compatable directly with the Roxio program to "assemble" the VCD.

Note that Roxio has various complaints about file formats (frame rates, field size, etc) for the different formats it can burn - but this works for VCDs.

Frankly, for video from this camera, burning a DVD is probably not worth it, given the blank disk cost and the fact that you can get close to an hour on a VCD.

Back
Top Bottom