Oly 5050 video clip - playing with a Remora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
For a camera not intended to shoot video, this looks pretty good.

Converted to VCD format on my HD TV, it looks DARN good - way better than it looks on the computer when "blown up". Easily as good as my Hi-8 camcorder!

I'm impressed...

You be the judge....

Conditions: Ambient light, about 80' deep, WB compensated against the back of my glove (which is a neutral gray color) at depth, vis 30'. Ran out of SD memory capacity (time to buy a much bigger CF card for this puppy!)

Note: PLEASE download this file, DO NOT play it directly! You will need Quicktime... Its BIG - about 12MB - and my server is NOT real fast, so transfer time is ~5 minutes or so, and longer if more than one person is getting it at once!

http://www.denninger.net/dive-pics/P1010006.MOV

See my thread from this am for exporting for web: http://www.scubaboard.com/t36897/s.html

That is too long to download. You said it is a 12 MB file, which tells me you either have about 30 seconds of video that you did not trim down, or a longer video that you did export using a medium or high setting. Use Quicktime to scale that puppy down.

I agree. For a camera, takes great video. Audio leaves something to be desired. Last time I had a remora swim up to me like that his buddy mr hammerhead was right behind him. They're not playing with you; they're trying to figure out if you're worth sucking on to.

That's much better than alot of 'real' video clips I've seen! You're getting me excited to try this.

Keeping in mind I am video illiterate,
Converted to VCD format on my HD TV,
Is this the secret to making it look so good? Is this something I can do as well with only my computer and a program?

I'm impressed.

Scott, I can cut down the size fairly seriously, but the quality REALLY suffers. I wanted to post this clip so people can see how it looks when it comes right out of the camera. Besides, I don't get charged for transfers on my web host - its on a private line in Chicago, on a computer I have admin priv's to.... :)

Dee, you have a number of options. For VCDs I do the following:

1. Export it to DV format from Quicktime. This converts it to 30fps (necessary for display on a NTSC TV) and also fixes the encoder problems that would otherwise be present. Be warned that this makes the clip HUGE - that clip is about 80MB (!) in that format. If you try to get cute with the export to save disk space while assembling the project you will lose SIGNIFICANT amounts of image quality! Don't!

2. Use Roxio to assemble the VCD of clip(s). You can also rip out and replace audio tracks either in Quicktime or Roxio; I typically do exactly that, and replace the audio with music. Actually, most of the time when I shoot video I have the mic turned off on the camera; I screwed up this time and left it on. Oh well. (Beware distributing your movies with someone else's music on them though, especially with the RIAA on the warpath as they are these days....)

3. Roxio then burns the VCD to disk. That disk will play in MOST DVD players (but not all!) Quality is NOT up to DVD standards, but is a bit better than a S-VHS video tape, and WAY better than a normal VHS video tape. There is no "dot crawl" at all; I personally think it looks better than my Hi-8 camcorder on my HDTV system.

I made up a VCD of four Remora clips all assembled (this is one of the 4), a couple of others, and a ~10 minute movie of another dive (which I have in DV format - WAY huge native) all onto one VCD with a menu and all; it consumed about 1/3rd of a CD-R, and runs about 13 minutes.

I played with the various export options and assembled and burned about a dozen disks before I hit on the "magic" combination that gave me the quality I'm getting now. The raw files off the camera are what you see here - the trick is getting them onto a VCD without ruining them.

No, its not DVD quality, but its darn good for a camera intended for stills. The other footage of the other dive I have was shot with a VERY high-end, government-owned 3ccd DV handheld, and while that video quality is noticably better, that's also a $3,000 camera! The real shortcoming in terms of video quality is that there is quite a bit of noticable bleed-through of colors - common in single-CCD imaging sensors, and noise level is higher than I'd like, but that's low light for you.

The shocker is the white-balance capabilty and ability to shoot productively with nothing more than ambient light at depth. To be able to get real, honest-to-god reds to show up at 80' without ANY external lighting is amazing to me. The $3,000 camera didn't do nearly as well, even with a red filter on it - I was shooting with no filters at all, just calibrating the white balance when I got to the bottom. BTW, if you do that make sure you recal if you want to shoot on the way up the line, or you'll get a REAL red image! :)

A 256MB CF card will hold about 12 minutes of video, a 1GB card about 45 minutes (!) of continuous shooting. Both hold a bit more with sound turned off than turned on. If the sound is off you can zoom with the camera rolling; if its turned on then the zoom position is locked when filming.

I have a 256MB card in there now, and just ordered a 1GB card to complement it, as this is WAY cool and with a 1GB card I can shoot damn near an entire dive and have room for a few dozen stills all at once.

As far as I can tell the only limit on the continuous shooting capability is the card's size - there is no internal memory buffer issue, at least not with reasonably fast CF cards; I've run the entire 12 minutes on my current CF card in one clip.

As a "combination" video and still camera this thing ROCKS!

Thanks! I can see bigger cards in my future!

WOW, that was neat as he!!, thank you sir for sharing that and the info. i ordered the camera yesterday and will have to learn all the bells and whistles before i buy the housing for it. i wont be able to dive again till next spring :( so i have plenty of time to play with it and learn what i'm doing and with everyones help on here, that shouldnt be hard.

thanks,
steve

Genesis once bubbled...
Scott, I can cut down the size fairly seriously, but the quality REALLY suffers. I wanted to post this clip so people can see how it looks when it comes right out of the camera. Besides, I don't get charged for transfers on my web host - its on a private line in Chicago, on a computer I have admin priv's to.... :)

Dee, you have a number of options. For VCDs I do the following:

1. Export it to DV format from Quicktime. This converts it to 30fps (necessary for display on a NTSC TV) and also fixes the encoder problems that would otherwise be present. Be warned that this makes the clip HUGE - that clip is about 80MB (!) in that format. If you try to get cute with the export to save disk space while assembling the project you will lose SIGNIFICANT amounts of image quality! Don't!

2. Use Roxio to assemble the VCD of clip(s). You can also rip out and replace audio tracks either in Quicktime or Roxio; I typically do exactly that, and replace the audio with music. Actually, most of the time when I shoot video I have the mic turned off on the camera; I screwed up this time and left it on. Oh well. (Beware distributing your movies with someone else's music on them though, especially with the RIAA on the warpath as they are these days....)

3. Roxio then burns the VCD to disk. That disk will play in MOST DVD players (but not all!) Quality is NOT up to DVD standards, but is a bit better than a S-VHS video tape, and WAY better than a normal VHS video tape. There is no "dot crawl" at all; I personally think it looks better than my Hi-8 camcorder on my HDTV system.

I made up a VCD of four Remora clips all assembled (this is one of the 4), a couple of others, and a ~10 minute movie of another dive (which I have in DV format - WAY huge native) all onto one VCD with a menu and all; it consumed about 1/3rd of a CD-R, and runs about 13 minutes.

I played with the various export options and assembled and burned about a dozen disks before I hit on the "magic" combination that gave me the quality I'm getting now. The raw files off the camera are what you see here - the trick is getting them onto a VCD without ruining them.

No, its not DVD quality, but its darn good for a camera intended for stills. The other footage of the other dive I have was shot with a VERY high-end, government-owned 3ccd DV handheld, and while that video quality is noticably better, that's also a $3,000 camera! The real shortcoming in terms of video quality is that there is quite a bit of noticable bleed-through of colors - common in single-CCD imaging sensors, and noise level is higher than I'd like, but that's low light for you.

The shocker is the white-balance capabilty and ability to shoot productively with nothing more than ambient light at depth. To be able to get real, honest-to-god reds to show up at 80' without ANY external lighting is amazing to me. The $3,000 camera didn't do nearly as well, even with a red filter on it - I was shooting with no filters at all, just calibrating the white balance when I got to the bottom. BTW, if you do that make sure you recal if you want to shoot on the way up the line, or you'll get a REAL red image! :)

A 256MB CF card will hold about 12 minutes of video, a 1GB card about 45 minutes (!) of continuous shooting. Both hold a bit more with sound turned off than turned on. If the sound is off you can zoom with the camera rolling; if its turned on then the zoom position is locked when filming.

I have a 256MB card in there now, and just ordered a 1GB card to complement it, as this is WAY cool and with a 1GB card I can shoot damn near an entire dive and have room for a few dozen stills all at once.

As far as I can tell the only limit on the continuous shooting capability is the card's size - there is no internal memory buffer issue, at least not with reasonably fast CF cards; I've run the entire 12 minutes on my current CF card in one clip.

As a "combination" video and still camera this thing ROCKS!

Wow, you non-MAC users sure have to go to a lot of work.

On the Mac, for DVD quality, the sequence is one sentence: Upload movie from camera, open iDVD, turn movie into DVD. If you want to edit first, all Mac editors use and recognize quicktime. If you really wanted to get creative, open your oly movie up as a layer in Final Cut Pro, and add other layers/effects to it.

Editing is my thing, but I got lots to learn about photography. I need to play with the white balance more next dive. Looks like you did a good job with that on your clip.

Genesis once bubbled...
How do the batteries hold when filming that long?

DL

I've yet to run anywhere near out - I use 2100mah NiMH batteries.

The only thing to be aware of is that the LCD screen can drain the cells. So when you're not shooting (e.g. on the boat, etc) either turn off the camera or turn off the screen.

The 5050 has near-zero battery drain with the LCD off. I've left it on literally ALL DAY on a single charge with the display off, and it still had power left.

You can do a "single step" transfer using Roxio or similar Scott, but the problem with the video out of the Oly is that its 15fps, which is incompatable with the Codecs in a DVD player. As such SOMETHING has to convert it to the NTSC standard, or it won't display.

Roxio's burner software flags this as potentially incompatable; I've not tried to burn it anyway and see if it will play, but I'd bet it won't.

This is more a functiion of the software (I'm cheap!) than anything else. I bet if I used Premiere or something similar the multiple steps wouldn't be necessary, but blowing $700 on a piece of video editing software looks pretty stupid to me - if I was doing it "professionally" I might be able to stomach it, but I'm not and can't.

Roxio is cheap ($60 or so) for the burning function, and it does a lot more than just DVDs and VCDs - it also does music, data, "drag-and-drop" with RW disks, etc. Quciktime Pro is cheap too, and it provides the format conversion. The total software required ran me under $100 - that I can live with.

Premiere is the biggest piece of garbage out there, and is extremely abstruse and buggy. Even die-hard Adobe/Windows adherents are running out of patience with Adobe on this one. Premiere was supposed to compete with Apple's Industry leading Final Cut Pro, but has so far been a very anemic effort.

Not to extoll the virtues of Apple, but for basic editing, the free iMovie 2 is about the easist and most feature rich software out there. I wind up doing 90% of all editing in good ole' iMovie, swithing over to Final Cut Pro only when I need some kind of special effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom