oldsters trying scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface:
Practice breathing in the car at stop lights. It will become more natural the more you do it. Good luck in your class.

I tried that once... The mask wasn't too bad, but I needed to stick the snorkel out through the sunroof...

Retired - Breathing getting easier, and air comsumption going down with practice is one of the most common bits of advice on this board. Just stay with it - it will get better - I certified at 50. Good Luck, and let us know how you're doing!

Diversion:
I tried that once... The mask wasn't too bad, but I needed to stick the snorkel out through the sunroof...

Ah, Diversion, you don't have to wear your gear while practicing in the car. I started out that way too but found my fins kept getting stuck under the brake pedal.

If you are active fit folks and it sounds that way it will all come together for you. What you describe is common struff for young and mature folks just starting out. It is an adaptation and it will take however much time it takes for each of you.

I would also suggest that you work hard to become gear savvy and identify dive professionals that can get you configured properly. A young invicible body can tolerate a lousy setup more than a mature person.

Pete

I'm just starting out at 59. When one of my co-workers asked if I would ever be interested in Public Safety diving, I said yes, but had to admit that by the time I acquire the necessary experience, it'll be time to retire.

retired, try to breathe deeply and slowly on the surface without a regulator. You would be surprised how shallow we breathe. Remember Scuba is deep breathing exercise in a weightless environment. Remember us old divers learned to type on upright machines with paper and a return carraige. Look how far we've come.

Wife and I are in late 50s, and workout every day.

Plenty of people diving in their late 50's and beyond. Have fun...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom