oldsters trying scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

retired

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone: Starting to get our PADI cert. and have the open water dives left. Wife and I are in late 50s, and workout every day. Looking forward to reading about the mistakes we have already made. IE-Huffed and puffed in 12 ft of water, and couldn't seem to get enough air from our regulator. Told that we wern't breathing deeply, and therefore were hyperventilating. Real scary to say the least. Is this common with new divers?

Yeah... it definately is. Breathing underwater doesn't come naturally to most people, but it will get easier and easier until it's second nature. Keep practicing!

There were several people in my class that did the same thing, that is why they tell you to take slow deep breaths. You are just nervous / excited all at the same time. You will also do it once you get in the water once you become comfortable with your diving it will get better.

Boomo

I was one of the lucky ones who it did come naturally to :) of course I'd been snorkeling as a kid for years when I finally took the lessons.

It gets easier, it's nice that you get to do it in the pool to begin with.

good luck. welcome to scuba board.

Welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

it’s about time you surfaced here! :)

Click [thread=91105]here[/thread] for ScubaBoard 101: [thread=91105]A beginner's guide to the ScubaBoard.Com forums[/thread].

Don’t forget to fill out your Public Profile (and Dive Info) on one of your next surface intervals so we can get to know you a little bit better. Besides, it will make it easier for us to answer your questions. If you’re not in a particularly creative mood, you can have a look at my Public Profile for inspiration.

Any other questions? Just click this link: Send me a PM!

Laurens

This message brought to you by Naughty Neoprene Fashion Consultancy Inc.

Focus on your exhalations...get all that air out! If you are apprehensive, that's a sign of CO2 build up

PS...I'm a Master Instructor/Instructor Trainer at 56. Retired from NASA to do this full time.

Joe

Retired,

A hearty "WELCOME" to the scubaboard.

Your huffing and puffing is noting new.

I think Cuda gave a world of advice in saying "Focus on you exhalations . . .".

By doing so you will slow your respiration cycles.

It's very common for new divers and has nothing do to with age. (I'm 57)

the K

Go find a pool or open weater and spend some quality time breathing on a snorkel. The dead air will promote a nice deep divers bretahingn style and you will get accustomed to sustained oral breathing. After a few hours you will find it much easier to be at one with your regulator.

Pete

wow, i feel so young...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom